Fast car under $5,000

and no 240 sx will come close to doing mid 12's stock either. sure it can handle better, but we can get a mustang to handle just as well for less than what it would take to get the 240 in the 12's safely (without dumping un safe amounts of nitrous into the engine). you loose mpg for speed, it is an offset. high mpg = slow but doesn't break the bank at the pump.

^ stock? Obviously you have to upgrade a number of things, but nos is certainly not needed. This SR20DET does 10s:

All you need is to swap in a bigger turbo, and change the needed parts like the cams and intake.

Must be in a terrible shape, because Foxbody Cobras go for around $CAD 10k here.

I see them in what I would call a workable mechanically sound state for under 5k a lot here. You are not going to get perfect paint and interior for that price or low miles, but good enough for a "fun" car and occasional spirited driving. I wonder if you guys got a lot less up there in Canada with the RWD bit and all.

Also the hard top install on a Miata is a simple affair that takes all of 15 mins and can be removed at any time so you can have your cake and eat it too in this case.

I wonder if you guys got a lot less up there in Canada with the RWD bit and all.

Depends what you want.

The safest choice is an imported JDM like a skyline R32 or Z32 300ZX or FD twin turbo. Most of them are rust-free with low mileage (like 70,000 km), but they're RHD so you better get used to it.

^ stock? Obviously you have to upgrade a number of things, but nos is certainly not needed. This SR20DET does 10s:

All you need is to swap in a bigger turbo, and change the needed parts like the cams and intake.

and how many silvia's are available in the US and Canada? I am going to say less than 50. Ebay's US site has a total of 6 in all different stages of completion ranging from 5 to 14000. IF you can get it at the price you want, it would be a good car. Might as well try to find a Cobra R (also out of his price range, and has a rarity in the world not just in the US), in 93 Ford only made 107 of them and all of them look like this (I personally thing this guy is crazy asking that, but it is a very very very rare car and would appeal to collectors).

Edited by sc302

and how many silvia's are available in the US and Canada? I am going to say less than 50.

That's a wild guess? Since you included Canada, I'll say that it's not a problem for us because we can import them from Japan at a relatively fair price when you consider the low mileage and that most of them are turbocharged.

As much as I like Cobras and Shelby's, they're expensive and rare and certainly wouldn't use them as track cars. They would be my weekend cars. Track cars I'd go JDM.

I just remembered about the Toyota Soarers/Lexus SC400. They're heavy cars, but still very fast and smooth for what they are.

Edited by revvo

Must be in a terrible shape, because Foxbody Cobras go for around $CAD 10k here.

Fox body Cobras were only made 1 year and are more highly looked for then the 95.

• 3 months later...

Yeah it would be a fast little civic, but it's still FWD and a Mexican will eventually steal it.

Still prefer the K20a series, but that's quite more expensive and not that useful. It's still a civic in the end.

Nah, that was me using stereotypes. It just happens that a lot of the ricers are Latino

i understand what you mean, i see a lot of eg's with chrome head lights and rear lights, 10 feet wings, body kits that are over the top, 18"+ rims and here's the fun part...a stock motor, oh wait cant for get the 4 inch fart can connected to the stock pipping. Trust me i see this a lot where i live.

92-95 civic = $1,000-2,000

h22 swap = $2,000-2,500

turbo+tune$1,000-1,500

so your look at: $4,000-$6,000

Honda's and FWD are not really my thing, but that seems rather optimistic pricing. Can you find a civic in decent condition for 2k? I guess you don't need the engine though. Even assuming doing all your own work and having the equipment already; engine swaps notoriously start to eat away at budgets. I think even 2.5k for sourcing and swapping that engine might bit a bit low. A complete turbo with everything for 1.5k? Also If you were going to go this route why not just find a Prelude with that engine and forgo the trouble of the swap? Is weight that different between a Civic and a Prelude? I think that setup could start ballooning to 10k real easy.

i understand what you mean, i see a lot of eg's with chrome head lights and rear lights, 10 feet wings, body kits that are over the top, 18"+ rims and here's the fun part...a stock motor, oh wait cant for get the 4 inch fart can connected to the stock pipping. Trust me i see this a lot where i live.

You forgot the kicker: Stock motor with a cold air intake. That gives you 200HP! ugh... :rofl:

Also If you were going to go this route why not just find a Prelude with that engine and forgo the trouble of the swap? Is weight that different between a Civic and a Prelude?

Preludes are heavy. 3000lbs VS the hatch 92-95 which is like 2200lbs.

The only fun FWD Hondas you can have is a lightweight one. The eg chassis does the job, or a CRX if you want the ultimate gokart.

Preludes are heavy. 3000lbs VS the hatch 92-95 which is like 2200lbs.

The only fun FWD Hondas you can have is a lightweight one. The eg chassis does the job, or a CRX if you want the ultimate gokart.

Yeah I guess that is a quite substantial weight difference there then. I do think the 4th and 5th generation Prelude is the best looking FWD car Honda has done though.

Back more on topic. I just can't quite get the point of FWD. Any situation where FWD is going to be better than RWD I am going to want AWD. If it is your sole car maybe you would want FWD in some parts of the world. For a weekend fun ride I certainly can't see a case justifying spending the time, money and energy of an engine swap and a turbo on something with the drive wheels at the wrong end.

indeed. I still think the 1st gen Miata is the best choice. If OP lived in Canada, I'd say go with an R32 Skyline GTS, but right side steering is a bitch in drivethru's :/

• 4 weeks later...

you could always pick up a early-mid 90's honda civic and tune it I suppose, I found my 91 civic at a tow yard for $600, runs great, and whats better it passed california emissions...

post-44814-12689408881124_thumb.jpg