Which setup will give me better audio?

My 5.1 receiver is pretty ghetto. No HDMI, and just one optical port. Connecting a PS3 via HDMI to the TV.

For the audio:

Option 1: TV has a optical out, so currently I'm running the optical cable from my TV to receiver. PS3 is connected to TV via HDMI.

Option 2: PS3 HDMI to TV, and optical to receiver. TV now uses standard red/white connector to connect to receiver for audio.

At this point I like option 1 because I've noticed that I get better audio for my regular TV shows. I think I'm getting 5.1 for my regular TV channels? It's just is it worth it for me to use option 2 over option 1 for things like BD movies, and PS3 games?

What do you guys think? This is not my long term setup as I plan on overhauling the HT around christmas.

im guessing you dont have a coax on your reciever and cable/sat box so they both can go into the reciever. i'd use option 2 to ensure ps3 has 5.1 but i dont watch much tv.

what do you use more?

i wouldnt run any audio to my tv if i had my own speakers and reciever

Option 1 is your best bet with this setup imo. Optical will provide the best quality from your TV to the receiver. Just look at getting a new receiver in the future, because once you have the ps3 HDMI'd to the receiver, that's the highest quality you'll get.

i wouldnt run any audio to my tv if i had my own speakers and reciever

Good point. If you care about both TV and ps3, go for option 1. But if you want the best quality with your setup only for your ps3, just connect the ps3 to the receiver.

Is there going to be a noticeable performance difference between option 1 and option 2? Say I watch a BD movie, will there be a significant difference between the two? If its not much of a difference, then I'd rather stick with option 1.

okay here is my problem too in my setup when i connect my ps3 to my TV through HDMI and run the optical cable from my TV to my receiver i get audio lag from the ps3, but when i connect the optical cable straight from the ps3 to the receiver its fine then what causes this?

okay here is my problem too in my setup when i connect my ps3 to my TV through HDMI and run the optical cable from my TV to my receiver i get audio lag from the ps3, but when i connect the optical cable straight from the ps3 to the receiver its fine then what causes this?

sounds like a crappy cable...or a problem with the ps3/receiver

The lag will be caused by the TV processing the audio then sending it on to the reciever. The lag probably is around 30-100ms. Most lcd screens have this lag due to all the features companies pack into them

Does the audio come before video, or does it come after (ie when some talks do u hear their voice before they open their mouth or after)

If its after (which i think it will be) there is nothing you can do to stop this. If its before then u may have an option to delay the audio 60ms or so in the receiver options

As for the OP id go with option 2. But thats coz i live in the UK and only a few programs are in 5.1 so would use the red/white rca cables and force the reciever to push the sound over all the speakers so havin "fake" surround sound. And then have proper 5.1 from the pS3.

But its down to what u watch more, do u watch more 5.1tv or more blu-rays? If you only watch a few blu-rays could always keep swappin over the optical cable if its not too much effort?

fyi... option 1.. will not route the digital 5.1 audio coming in on HDMI's via the TV's digital optical out. The most you will get is 2 channel stereo audio (due to restrictions and such, google it for more into)

it will only output 5.1 from the optical out when the source is ATSC/QAM tuner

to get 5.1 from your ps3, you will have to connect directly to the receiver..

I say in your case option 2 is better for now; save up and eventually get a more capable receiver.