Running a proxy server on Windows 2008

I'd like to run a proxy server on my Windows Server 2008, although I've run into a few problems.

First of all, I didn't really find appropriate software to do this. I'm not very familiar with all the features of Windows Server 2008, so I decided to install some other program that seemed to do the job. That program is called CC Proxy (the demo version). But it seems inadequate since my server has 2 available IPs, yet CC proxy does not allow me to choose which IP should be used as default, and it lacks other features in general.

I've googled a bit, but couldn't find any easy solution or program to accomplish what I want. I need a solution that allows me to specify an IP to be used (or how can I do this in Windows itself?), support authentication, and preferably be freeware or a built-in feature in the OS. But like I said, I'm not very familiar with Windows Server 2008.

Basically, my question is: does anyone know an advanced piece of software that serves are proxy server, or perhaps a built-in feature in Windows Server 2008?

Squid is prob the best FREE proxy software out there, and clearly the one with the most features and configuration options.

http://www.squid-cache.org/

You can download the windows ports here, and 2.7 clearly states it runs on 2k8 either 32 or 64

http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/

Currently supported Windows platforms:

* Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Server SP4 and later

* Windows 2000 Professional and Server

* Windows XP Professional (x86 and x64)

* Windows 2003 Server (x86 and x64)

* Windows Vista (x86 and x64)

* Windows 2008 Server (x86 and x64)

Or you could go the MS ISA route - but sure ain't cheap ;) And ISA 2006 does not run on 2k8

2k8 not really your best choice for running a proxy.. Better off using specific linux distro as your proxy server. There are quite a few of them out there designed specifically for that function.

Thanks for the link to the windows port. I found Squid, but only the *nix version.

I know 2008 isn't really a popular platform to run a proxy server on, but it's all I have right now. It's a mighty beast, and runs other services as well at this moment. But I'll give the Squid port a try, thanks again.

"but it's all I have right now"

Says who -- there lots and lots of linux distros out there designed for running as a proxy. What other services? dhcp, dns, file sharing, ?

Something like clarkconnect (community version = free) Does proxy, content filtering for you with the ease of web gui to manage it all, out of the box for example plus much much more.

http://www.clarkconnect.com/

Saying its all you have is not a true statement -- there are lots of options other than 2k8 that would cost you nothing more than the download.

If you don't want to give up 2008 as your main server os, you could virtual a linux distro to handle it or find a old spare pc, most linux operating systems don't need much when they just run at the command line.

No I don't and I don't even use it currently ;) But it the easiest "do it all" kind of distro that I have found, its great for new users, etc.