Windows 7 Tips & Tricks?

Not to mention the other fact that your OS actually is running an emulator to even run 32bit apps to begin with.

Sigh.

The rest of his post wasn't too great either..

Where do people come up with these gross misconceptions?

disable explorer details pane

reg.exe add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer /v PreviewPaneSizer /t reg_binary /d 00000000000000000000000000000000 /f

Or put it on top of the page (right under the folderband).

You will need two things for this :

Restorator2007 -> to modify shell32.dll. The trial works, just ignore the message when saving.

Take Ownership regtweak -> to add the option to your rightclick shell menu. Just doubleclick "InstallTakeOwnership" and ok.

When both above acquired :

For x86 :

1. Copy shell32.dll to your desktop.

2. Now open the file in Restorator2007.

3. Goto "View -> Find Text" (or press Ctrl + F). It'll open Find box.

4. Now type following String in textbox:

layoutpos="bottom"

5. Click on "Find Next" button and it'll show the line containing this text.

6. You have to just replace "bottom" word with "top".

7. When you have done, click on "Compile Script" button.

8. Now press "F3" key and it'll show the next line containing the same text. Again do the same mentioned in 6th step.

9. Remember! You have to replace "bottom" word with "top" only in following locations:

3, 4, 5, 6, 19, 20, 21

10. If you also want to show the Details Pane at Top in Browse/Save/Open dialog boxes, then replace "bottom" word with "top" in 27 and 28 keys too.

11. That's it. You have done. Now "save" as same file.

12. Take ownership of the original "Shell32.dll" file present in "System32" folder (rightclick the file, choose "Take Ownership") and rename it to "shell32_backup.dll".

13. Now copy/paste your new modified "shell32.dll" file to "System32" folder.

14. Restart your system and after restart Windows will start using your new modified file and you'll get details pane at Top.

For x64 :

Same as above, but now do the same for shell32.dll inside c:\windows\syswow64\

Here is my contribution to the thread.

HOW TO OPTIMIZE WINDOWS BUILT IN SEARCH

(1) Open the Control Panel and look for the View By options and change it to small or large icons. Then locate Indexing and select. (A faster way to find the Indexing options is to hit the Windows key and start to type indexing. By the second or third letter the option should be displayed in the search results and just select it. This is a huge benefit of using the built in search function in Windows Vista and 7.)

(2) Once the Indexing Options panel is open, select Modify, Show All Locations, (Will need Admin level privileges to perform this operation.) De-select everything except Start Menu and only select the specific folders you want searched and then select OK. I personally only search My Pictures, My Documents, My Music, My Videos, Downloads and a few personal folders I created. By only allowing indexing of the specific folders you want searched you will drastically trim the frequency and length of actual indexing.

(3) Now we want to trim all but the actual type of files you want searched. In the Indexing Panel select Advanced and select the File Types tab. De-select file types you know you will never search. If unsure, just leave the file type enabled. This will drastically reduce both frequency and length of indexing because the system will only index the actual file types you want searched.

(4) This tweak will enable Windows search to search file contents too. While still in the File Types tab, select the option to Index Properties and File Contents. Go to ifilter.org to find and install the various ifilters you will need to search file contents. For example, if you want to search picture content you will need to install the jpeg ifilter. Adobe Reader contains the ifilter in the program but foxit reader will require a separate install for your ifilter located on their site. Both Open Office and Microsoft Word ifilters can be found at ifilter.org.

(5) For more refined search results go back to the Index Settings tab and select "Treat Similar Words With Diacritics as Different Words. Now select to rebuild the index and close the Indexing Control Panel.

Maybe not a tip or trick that's up to the usual standard from skimming this thread, but I may have discovered one of the best features of windows 7, if you hold windows + up right down left up right down left etc. etc. and make the standard sized window like half the screen n in the middle, it's like it's spinning on and axis mann :shiftyninja: :pint:

• 1 month later...

disable UAC(+driver)

reg.exe add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t reg_dword /d 0 /f
reg.exe add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\luafv /v Start /t reg_dword /d 4 /f

enable UAC(+driver)

reg.exe add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t reg_dword /d 1 /f
reg.exe add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\luafv /v Start /t reg_dword /d 2 /f