PS3 or Blu ray player?

So I've recently decided to move over (finally!) from DVD to Blu-ray

my TV is a 50 inch Full HD so the picture quality should be good if I am correct,

But the one decision that is hard for me to make is whether I should go with

a PS3 or a standalone Blu-ray player

To make this clear, Picture quality and watching movies come first. Yes I would

Love all the extras that you get from the PS3, But I want to go with what will

give me the best sound/picture quality to play Blu-ray on.

Your help is appreciated

I choose option C; media center pc. You wanna talk future proof...

Elsewise, do your research and get a standalone that plays well. Black Friday is around the conor, good deals on blu ray players are expected.

This is a good question.

Right before I bought a 360 I was thinking about getting an HDTV, so I was like...Maybe a ps 3 instead...Well I changed my mind, and didnt want an HDTV, so bought the 360.

Now i need a new TV, and will need a blu ray player.

Ugh.

I say a PS3, they're cheaper now since the slim version came out, plus with firmware updates the BD is continually updated to support more features :)

Yes I probably should have made it clear that I am a gamer and what I really should have said is that yes I would rather get A PS3 if the Blu-ray quality

is just as good as a standalone. At the moment I can afford a PS3 so that seems like the best option for me because

I would get the great blu-ray qualty and also the awesome extra features that come with the PS3

Thankyou all!

I choose option C; media center pc. You wanna talk future proof...

Elsewise, do your research and get a standalone that plays well. Black Friday is around the conor, good deals on blu ray players are expected.

While a media center PC is the ultimate option, PS3 codec support is fairly substantial and it's quite a decent media streamer. You can play all your HD encodes with DTS/HD audio through it.

For a gaming device, Blu Ray playback and media streamer it's your best bang for buck if you can afford it.

What will the high end Blu ray player have over the PS3 though?

keeping in mind picture quality

one thing really, they look **** hot, they are usually made from steel / aluminium, or maybe even copper!

although to start matching how good of a player the ps3 is, you looking at spending thousands.

to put my serious hat on, the ps3 is a very very very good blu ray player

you could drop ?5000 (that's not a typo) on a Marantz unit, and i still don't think you'd notice much difference;))

Edited by BGM

Thousands? Your information is misleading.

Danis- If you're a gamer, get the PS3. If not, then get something half the price like the Panasonic DMP-BD60, Samsung BD-P1600, or LG BD 370.

Picture quality is all pretty much the same.

Get at least an 80GB PS3 (not slim) so you also have PS2 games backwards compatibility. A friend of mine has the slim and man does it suck having software rendered games, glitches show in a few games.

Get at least an 80GB PS3 (not slim) so you also have PS2 games backwards compatibility. A friend of mine has the slim and man does it suck having software rendered games, glitches show in a few games.

What do you mean by software rendered games?

cant base your decision on whether youre a gamer or not. i for one, stream my movies from my pc/mac. download episodes/movies off the psnetwork also. communicate with gamily via eyecam. it does plenty non game-related.

it's simply a nice media center. think of the games as an added perk.

Well yeah i'm pretty dead set now on a pS3 Slim 250GB coz I really don't care much for PS2 games ( Hated mine and sold it)

Heres hoping I

ll have a good experience with PS3 as much as I have with my xbox =)

If picture quality when watching Blu-ray movies is just as good as any other standalone player on the market

then I might as well go for a PS3 because I'm getting a whole media center

Well yeah i'm pretty dead set now on a pS3 Slim 250GB coz I really don't care much for PS2 games ( Hated mine and sold it)

Heres hoping I

ll have a good experience with PS3 as much as I have with my xbox =)

If picture quality when watching Blu-ray movies is just as good as any other standalone player on the market

then I might as well go for a PS3 because I'm getting a whole media center

PS3 is awesome for watching Blu-ray movies and it doesn't hurt that I can get movies in both Standard and High Defination off of the PlayStation network either.