HOW TO: UT2004 with Ubuntu 9.10 (Libstdc++5)

Alrighty then,

Like with all new things, some things don't work. In Ubuntu 9.04, UT2004 worked just fine. However, the library libstdc++5 was removed from Ubuntu 9.10's software channel and was replaced with version 6 of the C++ Library. That's a good thing right, having the latest - well, UT2004 requires the older library. Never fear, after searching all over the globe for the solution, I came across the answer WITHOUT command lines.

Error Message When Loading UT2004

libstdc++.so.5 cannot open shared object file no such file or directory

Ubuntu 9.04

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade
sudo aptitude install libstdc++5

Ubuntu 9.10

Download: libstdc++5_3.3.6-17ubuntu1_i386.deb (32-bit installer)

Download: libstdc++5_3.3.6-17ubuntu1_amd64.deb (64-bit installer)

Just double-click to install and then you can play your game "sudo ut2004".

P.S.

Backup the file though yeah ;)

ADDITIONAL NOTE

If you install the MegaPack AFTER you've performed the above, just reinstall the v5 library and you're sorted :)

Edited by DjmUK

Wouldn't it also work if you symlink the new library to the old. required one?

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

Yeah, command line stuff but... just wondering if anyone tried and if it worked, since it asks just for the library and not the whole package.

I did run a search on my system for libstdc++.so.5 but it wasn't found. Plus, I don't wish to link all programs to library 5 when some will require library 6 in the future.

But hey, if someone tries it and it works then great - I'll update my howto text file ;)

I had UT2k4 installed from way before the upgrade. Maybe two upgrades ago?

Anyhow, it fired up just fine in 9.10 when I tried it just now.

I did run a search on my system for libstdc++.so.5 but it wasn't found. Plus, I don't wish to link all programs to library 5 when some will require library 6 in the future.

I meant doing the opposite: keep 6 and create a libstdc++.so.5 symlink that points to version 6. Programs will link to 6 and those requiring libstdc++.so.5 will still find it.

If you upgraded wouldn't that mean you already had libstdc++5 from the previous version(s)?

I guess that is part of why I prefer an in-place upgrade, rather than full reloads, myself.

Ah I see, I'm still considered "new" to Linux - never played with symlinks as they confuse me. But I do like that idea.

That is of course, if the older library is already on the system (it wasn't with mine, clean install).

/me updates ones how to gedit file with the symlink and shall look more into it :D

Things could explode if the two versions of the library are incompatible so symlinking might not work. Installing the stdc++5 package is the best option. The package manager will prevent packages from overwriting each others files anyways.

Things could explode if the two versions of the library are incompatible so symlinking might not work.

Yeah, that's why I asked if someone tried and if it worked :p I've done the symlinking trick with other libraries without problems, not sure if also with libstdc++... IIRC RedHat provides a compat package to keep compatibility with old C++ binaries, it would be funny if the RPM just symlinked stuff :p

Yeah, that's why I asked if someone tried and if it worked :p I've done the symlinking trick with other libraries without problems, not sure if also with libstdc++... IIRC RedHat provides a compat package to keep compatibility with old C++ binaries, it would be funny if the RPM just symlinked stuff :p

OK, just in case anyone was wondering: no, it doesn't work :laugh: