German Goalkeeper Robert Enke Commits Suicide

Germany and Hannover 96 goalkeeper Robert Enke, 32, has died after being hit by a train, police have confirmed.

The German football federation (DFB) said in a statement: "The German team has learned of the death of Robert Enke with great shock.

"National team coach Joachim Loew and manager Oliver Bierhoff said: 'We are all shocked, we are speechless'."

Enke played eight times for Germany and also for clubs Benfica, Barcelona and Borussia Moenchengladbach.

He made his international debut aged 31 and became Germany's number one keeper after Jens Lehmann retired from internationals at the end of Euro 2008.

Enke had missed Germany's last four matches with a virus but returned for his club at the weekend.

Loew had indicated that Enke was in pole position for the number one jersey at next year's World Cup finals in South Africa.

Enke's daughter Lara died in 2006 of a rare heart condition when she was just two. He leaves behind his wife, Teresa, and an eight-month-old daughter the couple had adopted earlier this year.

Dr Theo Zwanziger, president of the DFB, said that the football community in Germany "are deeply distressed and in mourning".

He added: "All our sympathy goes to the wife of Robert Enke and his family."

BBC

Edited by Rappy

When I first read about it about 2 hours ago I thought it was a bad joke...It just wasn't meant to be for him. I am really deeply shocked and I wish his family all the best. May he rest in peace

What a stupid waste of a life especially when you consider, as a footballer, he would've lived a life of wealth and success. And he just recently adopted a child.

What an idiot. I feel so sorry for his wife :(

What a stupid waste of a life especially when you consider, as a footballer, he would've lived a life of wealth and success. And he just recently adopted a child.

What an idiot. I feel so sorry for his wife :(

Don't be so hard on him. He had a very hard life. Life never really treated him well...He lost his daughter three years ago. He had many personal tragedies and he was really a very sensible man. I am sorry for his family but I would never call him an idiot.

Very sad when somebody feels that their best option is to die, and actually goes through with it :(

Its also a reminder that **** can happen to anyone, even 'successful' people.

Very sad when somebody feels that their best option is to die, and actually goes through with it :(

Its also a reminder that **** can happen to anyone, even 'successful' people.

Indeed. RIP Mr. Enke.

He must have had some serious issues, to which, I guess we will find out about over the coming weeks.

Well, those that commit suicide come back as punishment.

Never know as a punishment he might come back as an England goalkeeper.

Seems from news reports that he had not yet got over the death of his 2 year old daughter, Laura or Lara.

She died of a heart problem. :(

Germany call off Chile game

The German Football Association (DFB) has announced that the friendly with Chile on Saturday has been called off following the suicide of goalkeeper Robert Enke.

Enke, who had been suffering from depression, was struck by a regional train travelling between Norddeich and Hanover at a railway crossing in Neustadt am Rubenberge on Tuesday evening and died at the scene.

The 32-year-old Hannover keeper had only recently recovered a mysterious bacterial infection and had been omitted from the squad for their upcoming friendlies against Chile and the Ivory Coast next Wednesday.

Germany have now decided to call off the meeting with Chile as a mark of respect for Enke.

DFB president Dr Theo Zwanziger said in a statement on the official website: "We have all agreed that we cannot play the game on Saturday against Chile. We apologise for any inconvenience that this decision causes but there is no alternative."

I dont feel sorry for him at all, he took the selfish route and jumped in front of a train, now the train driver has to live with the fact that he watched someone jump and then get cut up with his train and there was nothing he could do about it, spare a thought for the poor train driver who has to live with that image.