Mayweather ready for 'one-dimensional' Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather says he is ready for a mega-money fight with Manny Pacquiao and believes the new WBO welterweight champion is "one-dimensional".

Pacquiao cemented his claim to be the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet when he stopped Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas on Sunday.

Immediately after the Pac Man's triumph at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, trainer Freddie Roach put Mayweather in the Filipino's sights.

But Mayweather has already upped the stakes ahead of any match-up, saying the Filipino lacks the variety to trouble him.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports' Adam Smith, the American said: "The thing is with Pacquiao I don't see any versatility as a fighter; he's a good puncher but just one-dimensional."

Mayweather also believes he is on a hiding to nothing in taking on the fight and would be expected to win easily.

"I'm in a no-win situation. If I beat Manny Pacquiaodo you know what they are going to say? 'You are supposed to beat him, you are Floyd Mayweather, you are the bigger man'. If I knock him out they'll say 'you're supposed to knock him out he's been knocked out before'.

"I'm in a no-win situation and when I beat him no one is going to be surprised because he's been beaten before; whatever I do to Pacquiao has been done before - he's been beaten on three occasions. And if I knock him out I don't want the world shouting because he's been knocked out twice before.

"The world's going to go 'wow' if Floyd Mayweather gets beaten. That's what everyone is looking to see."

Pacquiao was reticent to talk about his plans for future fights in the immediate aftermath of his victory over Cotto, saying: "My job is to fight in the ring and I think that depends on (Top Rank's Bob) Arum my promoter to negotiate that fight. I'm just going to take a vacation first and spend time with my family and have fun."

Mayweather thinks the Filipino is running scared.

"When they asked Manny Pacquiao 'would you like to fight Floyd Mayweather' he said talk to my promoter; they didn't ask your promoter they asked you, what do you want to do?

"Manny Pacquiaowas asked the same question 'do you want to fight Floyd Mayweather' three times. This is something the world is trying to force on him. If he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather all he has to do is step up to the plate."

What is certain is should the fight go ahead, both men will enjoy a bumper pay-day although publicly Mayweather has said he would only fight Pacquiao if he got the lion's share of any purse.

And should the two men meet, the man who now calls himself 'Money' knows he will be in for another cash windfall.

"If I go out and make $60-75million in one night; come on - I'm not losing."

Skysports

Edited by Rappy

As good as Pacquiao is, and I think he is without a doubt one of the absolute best of this generation, I do think Mayweather would indeed beat him.

Mayweather is truly one of those rare cases where it is undeniably just part of his DNA. He is a boxer, he can adapt to whatever someone shows him, and he does not even need to train to do that.

Again, I think Pacquiao is truly one of the greats, just think Mayweather is a tad better.

Either way this is the fight the boxing world wants, and the fight it needs honestly as it keeps continually getting pummeled by UFC in the ratings, so as a long time fan and watcher of the sport, I really hope this fight happens. No matter what the result, it will be one hell of a fight to watch.

I was definitely not coming here for news on Pacman the game. Hahaha! Doesn't it say Mayweather in the title? Or was it changed? I guess some of you don't watch much boxing..or sports.

One-dimensional? Manny had a freaking concert that HE SANG AT - right after the fight! He had a big bandage on his head and even I was scratching my head, like WTF? I think Mayweather talks a lot of **** and so does his corner - only thing is, they back it up with win after win.

I like Floyd "Money" Mayweather - but I think Manny can take him. It would be an epic fight. As for the 60-75 million - he needs to come back down to Earth.

I was definitely not coming here for news on Pacman the game. Hahaha! Doesn't it say Mayweather in the title? Or was it changed? I guess some of you don't watch much boxing..or sports.

One-dimensional? Manny had a freaking concert that HE SANG AT - right after the fight! He had a big bandage on his head and even I was scratching my head, like WTF? I think Mayweather talks a lot of **** and so does his corner - only thing is, they back it up with win after win.

I like Floyd "Money" Mayweather - but I think Manny can take him. It would be an epic fight. As for the 60-75 million - he needs to come back down to Earth.

:uhoh:

As good as Pacquiao is, and I think he is without a doubt one of the absolute best of this generation, I do think Mayweather would indeed beat him.

Mayweather is truly one of those rare cases where it is undeniably just part of his DNA. He is a boxer, he can adapt to whatever someone shows him, and he does not even need to train to do that.

Again, I think Pacquiao is truly one of the greats, just think Mayweather is a tad better.

Either way this is the fight the boxing world wants, and the fight it needs honestly as it keeps continually getting pummeled by UFC in the ratings, so as a long time fan and watcher of the sport, I really hope this fight happens. No matter what the result, it will be one hell of a fight to watch.

you are absolutely right lawrence... (too mature for larry now?). Mayweather is a genetic freak. The man is always in shape, like ALWAYS. you know how some boxers/mma fighters dip of a bit fitness wise before next session of training. This man is always ripped and in shape and he barely has to work at it compared to other fighters.

Mayweather is easily the best fighter of this generation, and maybe the best lightweight of all time. He can't lose...

you are absolutely right lawrence... (too mature for larry now?). Mayweather is a genetic freak. The man is always in shape, like ALWAYS. you know how some boxers/mma fighters dip of a bit fitness wise before next session of training. This man is always ripped and in shape and he barely has to work at it compared to other fighters.

Mayweather is easily the best fighter of this generation, and maybe the best lightweight of all time. He can't lose...

Yeah Mayweather is an amazing athlete, I think seriously against Pacquiao he would beat him and KO him.

If Mayweather can beat Pacman, then I will regard him as the best boxer in his division of all time.

Ditto. I won't deny his talent, but he is the cockiest f***er in boxing. It really gets on my ######.

It doesn't look like he'll fight Pacquiao though. Pacquiao has said he'll wait for Mayweather to challenge him, and Mayweather has yet to throw down the gauntlet, despite doing his traditional cocky git interviews.

And if he really thinks Pacquiao is one-dimensional, he should watch him owning Cotto; because if these two do fight, and he goes into the ring still thinking Pacquiao is one-dimensional, he'll be exiting the ring looking like Cotto did at the end.

You simply never underestimate Manny Pacquiao. Ricky Hatton did, and look what happened to him.