Lilly Allen Says: Ok to piracy!

Lily Allen has backtracked in the fight against music piracy - she is happy for fans to circulate illegal copies of her albums, as long as they don't give them away for free.

The Smile hitmaker recently urged the government to crack down on illicit file-sharing, insisting illegal downloads will destroy the music industry.

Several high-profile stars, including Sir Elton John and Muse frontman Matt Bellamy, backed Allen's stance.

But now the singer has shocked other campaigners by claiming she doesn't mind people copying her songs on to blank discs and handing them out, as long as they take some sort of payment for it.

She tells radio station Key 103, "If someone comes up with a burnt copy of my CD and offers it to you for ?4 I haven't a problem with that as long as the person buying it places some kind of value on my music."

Source: Orange UK

Q the instant lilly allen cheap music shops on markets coming to a town near you!

Edited by Stephen

Wait a sec. So... Someone who before was rampantly against ANY kind of piracy, now supports the kind of piracy that DOES get used to support more serious crimes, piracy for profit?

This woman seriously needs a 2x4 upside the head.

You do realize you are replying to someone with NO sources except "my website" here.

not saying this isn't true but... I'd wait for some actual sources first and not what almost seems to amount to spam.

You do realize you are replying to someone with NO sources except "my website" here.

not saying this isn't true but... I'd wait for some actual sources first and not what almost seems to amount to spam.

when it says 'my website' its just the default place holder, not actually my website - its a news(ish) website....

Yeah reading is for the idiots, let's just assume things.

The strange thing about it is that she wants people to get money for "pirated" copies, which I personally stand against, it's worse than just copying a disc to yourself/friend.

when it says 'my website' its just the default place holder, not actually my website - its a news(ish) website....

Edited first post to fix

A case of caving into public pressure if I have ever seen it. All this does is reaffirm the fact that Lily is obsessed with money, in my opinion value can be placed on her music just by the fact that people enjoy it, money doesn't have to change hands for something to be valued and enjoyed.

I'm completely opposite of her. I think making money off of someone else's work is wrong, and also charging your friends for something is wrong. I have much less problems with something being given away for free.

Her whole position is BS.

She doesnt make any sense, she would rather someone charge money for copying the music to a CD where she makes no fraction of that money at all and the person that copied the CD is quids in profiting off her 'hard' work?

as long as the person buying it places some kind of value on my music

It's just about the principle of being appreciated, worth paying at least something for. She's not taking the other stuff into account.

Still, not the best statement to make.

She doesnt make any sense, she would rather someone charge money for copying the music to a CD where she makes no fraction of that money at all and the person that copied the CD is quids in profiting off her 'hard' work?

I think she equates money with value, and is worried about becoming irrelevant. If people are still putting a price on her music it reassures her that she's still relevant.

It's just about the principle of being appreciated, worth paying at least something for. She's not taking the other stuff into account.

Still, not the best statement to make.

Yea, but what would she be thinking by that? Does she believe everybody who buys the latest fad in music really values it? Maybe sometimes its because its what everyone else is listening to, because some record company advertised it everywhere.

I don't think she has her views very well thought out , maybe she was surprised at the reaction against her when she came out against piracy , and is trying to come up with a response

I think she equates money with value, and is worried about becoming irrelevant. If people are still putting a price on her music it reassures her that she's still relevant.

Yes, I agree. Legally, however, that would open a huge can of worms.

What a great display of inventive for the guy that made the video!

Piracy for profit is what really hurts the industry, not fans downloading for free.

What that girl said about people making money off her work to make up for her value is just sad.

She's clearly lost it. She has expressed in the past that she was against people 'freely' distributing music over the internet. And for the sake of value, now she supports people paying for burnt copies? That's the one form of piracy that has ALWAYS been illegal: profiting from other people's work.