HDTV Resolutions and Consoles...

Ok guys I have a PS3 and Xbox360, both of them detect my tv optimum resolution as 1080p. Well my tv says its only 1080i, so my question is how are both consoles displaying at 1080p when my tv supposedly does not support that resolution? Should I just switch it to 1080i, 720p or just leave it how it is?

if they're displaying the games and such in 1080p with no problems, then you shouldn't really worry about it. i know my tv is only 1080i and i set my ps3 to 1080p and nothing worked after. if your tv is working, you're fine.

I know the picture does look different, looks more jaggy and colors seem much brighter and washed out. Just wanted to get some opinions from everyone else.

Ok guys I have a PS3 and Xbox360, both of them detect my tv optimum resolution as 1080p. Well my tv says its only 1080i, so my question is how are both consoles displaying at 1080p when my tv supposedly does not support that resolution? Should I just switch it to 1080i, 720p or just leave it how it is?

Your TV may accept 1080p signals, but it sounds like its a 720p set. What make and model?

I believe it is because your TV supports 1080i input but then internally downconverts to 720p (its output resolution). As always, go with what looks best, the TV should go out of range if there is an issue.

Now I've heard some people say that 720p in this case only the 'default' resolution but that sounds like an LCD thing that shouldn't apply to plasmas. That said, plasma sets should easily support multiple resolutions without any background hocus pocus up to its support max. Can anyone confirm/deny? Can you go 'over' 1080?

The specs on your TV state:

Compatible Signal Formats 480p/720p/1080i

Native Resolution (Number of Pixels) 1024 x 720

If I were you I'd be using 720p for the best picture.

The specs on your TV state:

Compatible Signal Formats 480p/720p/1080i

Native Resolution (Number of Pixels) 1024 x 720

If I were you I'd be using 720p for the best picture.

Oddly enough, I get my best image on my 768p panel using 1080i. Remember, there are no 720p panels.