[Help] Networking my House

Question

Deacon Brown

Hi chaps

I have moved from a flat into a house.

Now I was wondering what the best set up is.

In the front room i will have my wireless router and then it wired to my 360 and my xbox.

Upstairs in the study I will have my main PC and prob another PC

In my son room I will have a PC and his 360.

I have one of those plugs that routes your network through the main (ATM its in my son room as I have not set everything up yet)

My question is this, would i be able to connect a hub to the end of the wall plug thing and then run a connection off to my son PC and 360 and have them on at the same time using the net?

Im only a fan of using wireless for mine and my misses laptop and not for gaming on my PC or 360 so would perfer to hard wire the PC.

20 answers to this question

Deacon Brown

Anyone?

Grunt

In theory you can do exactly what you said. However you may have an issue using the LAN over Mains plug as some houses tend to have multiple circuits. (Left/right, top/bottom, front/back of house) so you can't use LAN Plugs on seperate circuits.

NJ Louch

This is the reason I have yet to buy a set...

I have a 3 story house, and explained to PC world that I don't know if it is all on the same circuit. If not, it won't work - but they said they wouldn't take it back... So I'd have to drop some cash on a punt it MAY work?

Grunt

I've just been doing some reading on this, and supposedly it will work over different circuits as long as they all pass through the same fusebox.

But I've heard from live sources that they've not been able to set it up this way. Although, this was an old B&B so probably was 2 houses before or something.

So i guess, depending on the age of your house and electrics, you may get away with it.

However, DO NOT BUY FROM PC WORLD!!! Big mistake

Go find a decent local independant computer shop and buy from them, they will have a returns policy which wont try rape you like PC world's corporate b**tards.

Lilrich

IF you expecting high data throughput using these plugs i wouldn't bother they are not very reliable especially if you take alot of spurs of existing electrical installation. The way i have done it is drilled out upstairs and back in downstairs then dropped the cabled down the front of the house and tacked it behind a drain pipe. Simples.

Deacon Brown
In theory you can do exactly what you said. However you may have an issue using the LAN over Mains plug as some houses tend to have multiple circuits. (Left/right, top/bottom, front/back of house) so you can't use LAN Plugs on seperate circuits.

Ok would i be able to put a hub on the end of each lan plug so that my son can have his PC and xbox on at the same time using the net?

As well as my 2 PC in the study with there own hub as well?

I have my router set up so each device has its own Lan ip address allocated.

Lilrich

I would have the router in location 1 which i am assuming has 5 ports or simillar on that run the cable to location 2 where you would have an additional switch which the cabled from location 1 will plug in and then you can distribute the internet from the hub in location 2.

Deacon Brown
IF you expecting high data throughput using these plugs i wouldn't bother they are not very reliable especially if you take alot of spurs of existing electrical installation. The way i have done it is drilled out upstairs and back in downstairs then dropped the cabled down the front of the house and tacked it behind a drain pipe. Simples.

I have tested the mains and its a steady speed that is fine for use.

We will really only have our 360 on at the same time playing on live.

But on the odd occasion I may be up in the study playing my PC and there is no dl while playing games.

Im more intrested in knowing if i could put a hub at the end of the lan plug really as i dont mind running the cables under the floor board as my son room and my study are next to each other.

Drilling holes in the outside walls are a no no as my landlord would not be happy (I already have sky up in the bed room as well as down in the main front room).

NJ Louch
The way i have done it is drilled out upstairs and back in downstairs then dropped the cabled down the front of the house and tacked it behind a drain pipe.

This would be my preferred route also!

Lilrich

In our new build i didnt have much joy with them plugs.......

Deacon Brown
In our new build i didnt have much joy with them plugs.......

I spoke to my dad about this before i got my lan plugs in my old flat and he said that most old buildings are on the same ring, but new builds have different wireing sometime and they could be on different rings through out the property.

It all worked fine at my old place did a test and was getting an average of 75Mbps on 85Mbps device.

I have not had a chance to test my new house yet as my study is still not sorted.

NJ Louch

It would be handy if there were some way to test...

Deacon Brown
It would be handy if there were some way to test...

I will try and pull out the disk that had the software on it and give each room a test tonight through my laptop.

If the speed has a dramatic drop then I might have to start drilling holes but im really not a fan of doing that.

Thanks guys for the advice.

p.s

Could i put a hub on the end of the lan plug and run the 4 devices up stairs?

Grunt

...there is.

Buy the plugs. (not from PC World...EVER) keep the receipt.

Test the plugs.

Return for full money back if it doesn't work

Deacon Brown
...there is.

Buy the plugs. (not from PC World...EVER) keep the receipt.

Test the plugs.

Return for full money back if it doesn't work

Not sure if this is for me :rofl:

I don't buy anything from PC world at all never had and never will.

Grunt

I bought a mousemat from there once. Thats it.

I've been in with friends as backup because they've bought laptops from there and need help arguing about repairs. and I tend to walk by sales people trying to trap customers with BS, then once they are "thinking about it" i interrupt and give them better advise.

Deacon Brown
I bought a mousemat from there once. Thats it.

I've been in with friends as backup because they've bought laptops from there and need help arguing about repairs. and I tend to walk by sales people trying to trap customers with BS, then once they are "thinking about it" i interrupt and give them better advise.

Lol

Last week on my lunch break i went into PC world in london just to have a laugh at all the crap some of there sales person say.

I have never been a fan of PC world, but like Im not a fan of currys or dixons as they give really bad advice on electrical produces.

But you do get the odd sales person that does know what they are talking about and are very very helpful (in Currys that is).

Grunt

PC world, dixons and curry's are all the same parent company (Yet the prices for the same items vary per shop)

Deacon Brown

Ok finally got my PC up in the computer room and everything is running smoothly.

I am getting 81.44mbps, which is not bad at all.

So im going to go with the wall plug for my networking.

Just need to know if i can put a hub on the end of it and have 2 PC connected up at the same time?