Dell Inspiron 13z CULV notebook

Since a few people inc myself have ordered ours here it's about time to build up some hype (which may or may not lead to sadness just in case it flops :p)!

Post your ordered config and also thoughts if it arrives before the rest of us!

Questions / Requests etc too!

The one that's coming my way is the mid band config @ ?522:

- Black

- 13.3" LED screen

- Intel? Core? 2 Duo ProcesULV SU7300 (1.3GHz, 800MHz, 3MB3GB DDR3 1066MHz (1x 1GB, 1x 2GB) (max support 6GB) (will remove 1GB, add 2GB)

Edited by mrk

Is the Intel ULV based on the Celeron? Does it have dual cores?

The only info I could find was that it might be an Intel Core 2 Duo U7700 1.30 GHz

edit: someone beat me to it...

It's a C2D yeah, it's also very fast =D capable of smooth video playback on 1080P files when the GFX isn't capable of acceleration on some films (such as Matrix HDDVDrip of mine).

I paid ?529 for it, I believe the offer may still be on but be quick they end before Christmas I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I am *really* tempted at getting this laptop. Either this or an XPS 13, the only thing that puts me off the XPS is thinkness. I want a really portable system and the 13z looks perfect. I am tempted at getting the nvidia graphics but that requires that 8 cell battery which adds thickness but also increases battery life (at least I think so) so I am thinking about if the trade off is worth it. A slightly thicker battery might mean I don't need to take the power cable which would be a plus when popping out for a few hours to do some writing in a coffee shop or similar.

If it isn't too much to ask could you take a few more pictures of the laptop? Also do you know how well this system runs Linux? What is the keyboard size like for typing on for a few hours? I have a 10" Asus and find the keyboard quite painful to use for more than about half an hour.

... Also do you know how well this system runs Linux?
How well Linux works on it will be almost certainly defined by what wireless chipset it has. Everything else will be just fine in Linux. If the wireless chipset is poorly supported in Linux, then that may be a configuration issue.

I am *really* tempted at getting this laptop. Either this or an XPS 13, the only thing that puts me off the XPS is thinkness. I want a really portable system and the 13z looks perfect. I am tempted at getting the nvidia graphics but that requires that 8 cell battery which adds thickness but also increases battery life (at least I think so) so I am thinking about if the trade off is worth it. A slightly thicker battery might mean I don't need to take the power cable which would be a plus when popping out for a few hours to do some writing in a coffee shop or similar.

If it isn't too much to ask could you take a few more pictures of the laptop? Also do you know how well this system runs Linux? What is the keyboard size like for typing on for a few hours? I have a 10" Asus and find the keyboard quite painful to use for more than about half an hour.

Get an Asus UL30Vt instead. It has the same CPU, the same size, but it has a GeForce 210 dedicated video card. With all the power saving options turned on, it can last 8-9 hours of web browsing/word processing.

You mean sucky for games? if you wnat a gaming laptop then it can still play games on low, ION powered netbooks will play games a bit better but still nowhere near how a desktop even with low gfx cards will run them due to the current Atom chipset paired with ION gfx cards.

Everything else is done perfectly smooth, HD video (1080P via HDMI), Aero etc.

morganpugh84 what other kinds of pictures are you after?

The design looks like it was taken straight from HP/Compaq but it looks nice.

I just hope the charger doesn't always fall out like it does on my Studio 15.

The Vostro does not have a built-in optical drive and has a non user replaceable battery.

The 8-cell battery which you can purchase for the Inspiron 13z sticks out at the bottom though. I found some pictures online.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...2297&page=2

Personally, I would look into the Asus UL30Vt. I believe they were $800 before they sold out from Amazon.com

It's a really well designed laptop with a large battery, dual integrated graphics (Intel + Nvidia).

Vostro V13:

Comparable spec = ?569>

- ULV Core2Duo SU7300

- 4GB DDR3

- X4500MHD GFX

- VGA out

- Wireless-G

- 320GB 7200RPM SATA HDD

- Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

- Internal sealed 6cell battery giving a reported 3-4hours battery

- ExpressCard slot

- eSATA port

Inspiron 13z:>

Comparable spec =?529b>

- ULV Core2Duo SU7300

- 3GB DDR3

- X4500MHD GFX

- VGA + HDMI out

- Wireless-G

- 320GB 7200RPM SATA HDD

- DVDRW

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

- 4cell battery with Express Charge giving up to 5hrs life and 80% charge in just 60mins.

I would not mind a V13 but I do like HDMI out and I won't ever need eSATA or Express Card slots plus keeping a 2nd battery to hand in the bag is almost essential because the V13 has a sealed battery and only covered for a year from Dell. It's also only 30w/hr which is a bit rubbish.

Nice. :)

nice and portable...the Lenovo Thinpad X301 also has a culv chip 1.4ghz and .73" thin...about 10 hours battery life. I guess this would be it's competition among others...

Yup, one thing I've grown to like about high performing Dell notebooks is the Synaptics trackpad they use, so smooth and responsive unlike many other notebooks/netbooks.

morganpugh84 what other kinds of pictures are you after?

Hi,

Mostly pictures of the keyboard from above and the side so I can get an idea of what it is like. Also the screen from straight on if possible.

Somebody mentioned the Asus UL30Vt and it looks lovely and the price is about the same but I can't find much info on the size.

Get an Asus UL30Vt instead. It has the same CPU, the same size, but it has a GeForce 210 dedicated video card. With all the power saving options turned on, it can last 8-9 hours of web browsing/word processing.

Just looking at the UL30V and it looks perfect for what I want which is basically a usable size laptop that is highly portable, with a good keyboard for writing on for several hours at a time and a solid battery life of 8 or more hours. Looks like the Asus might be what I am after!

Before I put my order for the Asus in though are there any sub ?1000 13" ultra portable laptop available? Musts are a good keyboard and great battery life. Graphics are not important, just as long as it can handle 7 Aero smoothly I am happy. 4GB RAM is a must and a 7200RPM drive would be nice to have but not a must.