features you disabled in Windows 7 and why?

I fail to see what WMP has over MPC-HC. I can't say I care about how it looks when it's not even playing anything, and there's nothing wrong with MPC's appearance when it's playing with only video visible as I've said.

Of course, in the end it's a personal choice. But I see many advantages of WMP12; for example, a modern and intuitive UI, rich library management features, and, after installing shark 007's codecs, the ability to play any files. Plus it has nice integration with Windows 7.

Of course, in the end it's a personal choice. But I see many advantages of WMP12; for example, a modern and intuitive UI, rich library management features, and, after installing shark 007's codecs, the ability to play any files. Plus it has nice integration with Windows 7.

As I've said the UI doesn't really bother me; I don't use library type features as I use iTunes for music (iPod sync + it actually manages file organization), and yeah.. MPC-HC plays anything for me so yeah. Will WMP play MKV files, out of interest?

Edited by callummr

As I've said the UI doesn't really bother me; I don't use library type features as I use iTunes for music (iPod sync + it actually manages file organization), and yeah.. MPC-HC plays anything for me so yeah. Will WMP play MVK files, out of interest?

Yes, you can play mkv files or any files for that matter if you install shark 007's codecs.

Shark_007 + WMP = No DXVA, (After 2 hours of trying

No DXVA = NO ability to play anything above 480p on Atom.

No ability to play anything above 480p on Atom = useless.

Therefore, Shark_007 = useless.

Also WMP lacks a lot of the functionality of MPC-HM, for example, I cannot use Haali Renderer or MadVR with WMP.

Also WMP sometimes corrupts the video when in background where in foreground there is a CPU intensive application,

MPC-HC does not suffer from this.

I use WMP for MP3s and MP4s (youtube), all the other formats run better on MPC-HC.

Also WMP lacks a lot of the functionality of MPC-HM, for example, I cannot use Haali Renderer or MadVR with WMP.

Also WMP sometimes corrupts the video when in background where in foreground there is a CPU intensive application,

I use WMP for MP3s and MP4s (youtube), all the other formats run better on MPC-HC.

Haali Renderer isn't that great anyways.

As I've said the UI doesn't really bother me; I don't use library type features as I use iTunes for music (iPod sync + it actually manages file organization), and yeah.. MPC-HC plays anything for me so yeah. Will WMP play MKV files, out of interest?

It can't read MKV containers out of the box, but it will if you install Haali Media Splitter. The disadvantage is that this drops WMP into DirectShow mode, but I don't think there are any MKV sources for Media Foundation.

WMP can use any DirectShow filter installed really, except for those that are for formats that are supported natively by Media Foundation (Microsoft's are always used here.)

shark's codec pack uses WMF to decode the video streams in MKV.

Probably because of all the "tweaks" you do to WMP. His stuff works with DXVA.

Haali Renderer isn't that great anyways.

The above is only true if your hardware supports DXVA, then it is EVR (Custom) / Sync Renderer for you. Although I had more skipped frames with Sync Renderer compared to EVR (Custom).

Otherwise Haali renderer is very good. From my extensive testing, Haali Renderer + Haali Splitter + MPCHC + CoreAVC is the best combination for software video decoding.

The smallest amount of skipped frames, no audio stuttering, etc. The buffer (video) is one of the best features as it allows less frames skipping during intensive scenes at a cost of higher RAM usage.

It is not the best in quality, but the #1 choice when decoding video on a low end non-DXVA setup.

shark's codec pack uses WMF to decode the video streams in MKV.

Really? Do you have a link for the MKV source for MF? Does the codec pack contain a pirated version of the one DivX is working on? I think I remember them releasing an alpha version recently.

Or have you just misunderstood and it's actually really all DShow? For the record, you cannot mix DShow and MF. They are incompatible technologies.

Really? Do you have a link for the MKV source for MF? Does the codec pack contain a pirated version of the one DivX is working on? I think I remember them releasing an alpha version recently.

Or have you just misunderstood and it's actually really all DShow? For the record, you cannot mix DShow and MF. They are incompatible technologies.

I saw a post from him saying he did, but that's the only reference I've seen of it. Maybe it doesn't.

Shame.

Your sheer arrogance is just appalling. First off, playing 480p video is not impossible on an Atom, try ripping a DVD (which is indeed 480p) and mounting the image, it plays fine. Maybe you just have the old N270 processor and are trying to make it something it's not?

Secondly, if you're interested in HD video or even high quality video, you wouldn't buy a netbook. So no, your logic is simply retarded, Shark_007 is not useless, it's useless to you because you used it in the most useless and idiotic scenarios. You cannot blame software for being "fail" because it does not perform the way you wanted it to and ignore what it's supposed to do. Especially since you're attempting to push the hardware beyond what it was meant to do.

Haali works just fine on Atoms, try other codec packs if you still don't believe it, such as https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=12&id=11. (WTF That link keeps appearing and I am unable to delete it) At any rate, Haali is not that great of a renderer to begin with.

It's honestly quite funny how you jump in and attempt to prove that you're technologically competent, but you end up coming up with total garbage. Which I think is sad, because you honestly sound like quite an intelligent person, I just don't understand why your tactic seems to be throwing around a lot of acronyms that don't really make too much sense in the context of a topic (MadVR? Really?)

I'll have you know I grabbed a 10 minute 480p sample video from an HD promotion website, and played it in WMP with Shark_007 just fine, and yes, I'm on an Atom N280 (Asus EeePC 1000HA).

Test your "statements" a little more thoroughly before you decide to make calls like that.

Edited by LiquidSolstice

Your sheer arrogance is just appalling. First off, playing 480p video is not impossible on an Atom, try ripping a DVD (which is indeed 480p) and mounting the image, it plays fine.

FIRST OF ALL,

above 480p != 480p

Common video resolutions above 480p are 720p and 1080p. Therefore the phrase "above 480p" implies 720p and 1080p.

try ripping a DVD (which is indeed 480p) and mounting the image, it plays fine.

Probably it would. Such a waste of time though. When I talk about video I only talk about h264, other formats are.... irrelevant, legacy.

Maybe you just have the old N270 processor and are trying to make it something it's not?

Atom N270 can play up to 720p Video as long as the audio is either AAC or AC3 - other audio formats are too CPU heavy. That is w. CoreAVC only.

Secondly, if you're interested in HD video or even high quality video, you wouldn't buy a netbook.

I would. I did. And I like it. It did cost $400 though. :(

So no, your logic is simply retarded, Shark_007 is not useless, it's useless to you because you used it in the most useless and idiotic scenarios. You cannot blame software for being "fail" because it does not perform the way you wanted it to and ignore what it's supposed to do. Especially since you're attempting to push the hardware beyond what it was meant to do.

ION can do 1080p w. 16 reference frames.... I think 40Mbit 1080p is the maximum, never hit a wall or something.

Haali works just fine on Atoms, try other codec packs if you still don't believe it, such as https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=12&id=11. (WTF That link keeps appearing and I am unable to delete it) At any rate, Haali is not that great of a renderer to begin with.

Haali skips the least frames, based on AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and Atom N270.

It's honestly quite funny how you jump in and attempt to prove that you're technologically competent, but you end up coming up with total garbage. Which I think is sad, because you honestly sound like quite an intelligent person, I just don't understand why your tactic seems to be throwing around a lot of acronyms that don't really make too much sense in the context of a topic (MadVR? Really?)

I can believe how much of a pr*ck you are either.

I could not get DXVA to work w. Haali Splitter and WMP, either w. CCCP or Shark 007 (Filtered out because it is spam I believe).

MPC has no such problems. Also such problems do not exist with MP4s w. WMP.

Actually about that, Adobe Flash is really CPU heavy even with video acceleration. I can't get the 1080p content to run smoothly when running on 50% CPU Cap.

Test your "statements" a little more thoroughly before you decide to make calls like that.

Learn to read! :D

EDIT: DivX MPC on W7 works though without problems. No subtitles though, so it is only usable for thumbnail generation - that and playing videos that have English audio as primary. Hmmm,.....

@liquid: That link keeps disappearing for obvious they-steal-other-people's-work reasons. If you want the link to work, probably you'd want to kindly ask them to stop "redistributing" commercial software that they don't own.

Gosh, I thought that "MKV-for-MF 3.11 ;-)" was totally original work! :o

;)

Only thing I've disabled were the Tablet PC components. If 7 can detect whether a machine can support Pen or Touch, then why doesn't it disable/enable the components based on that?

Only reason I keep Tablet components enabled is that for some strange reason, the Snipping Tool comes with that, and I use it quite often.

All I do is turn off the border padding, I hate having massive borders around windows. I cringe when I use an unmodified Windows Vista/7 system.

Luckily I make the default profile at work, so everyone has them disabled by default :p

All I do is turn off the border padding, I hate having massive borders around windows. I cringe when I use an unmodified Windows Vista/7 system.

Luckily I make the default profile at work, so everyone has them disabled by default :p

Forcing personal preferences with no benefit onto other users is extremely bad form, however minor it may be.

Only reason I keep Tablet components enabled is that for some strange reason, the Snipping Tool comes with that, and I use it quite often.

Not in Windows 7; you can disable the Tablet components, and it doesn't get rid of the Snipping Tool. They adjusted that from Vista, thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, you've turned Windows 7 into Windows 95 :pinch:

I really liked Windows 95. :blush: If I could have a Windows 7 core system that looked and behaved much like 9x/NT4/2000 I would. Unfortunately, they don't let you tweak it THAT much...

Nice one. :devil:

User Account Control -> Useless. There are way better methods for the same protection.

System Protection (Restore) -> Useless

Windows Search (Indexing services) -> Don't use it that much, so useless

Windows Defender -> I hate this app. Have a much better one installed then this crap

Windows Firewall -> Allthough it now finally has an advanced option to block OUTgoing connections, I still find it to be utter junk in comparison with a few other FW's

Internet Explorer -> Uninstalled that crap. Use FF instead in combo with adblock and noscript. Way more secure imho.

Superfetch is set to only cache boot sequence. So for apps it is disabled. This is by far the best and most efficient setting of the three.

One thing I DO enable, and I bet a lot of ppl don't even know about, is SEHOP (Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection)

It is disabled at default in win7 (enabled in win server editions).

This is a must regarding security IMHO, and it needs to be enabled to counter a lot of hackers and trojan code :

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B956607&x=12&y=13

It's very easy to enable, just read the link.

I really liked Windows 95. :blush: If I could have a Windows 7 core system that looked and behaved much like 9x/NT4/2000 I would. Unfortunately, they don't let you tweak it THAT much...

You can, it's called reformat and install 9x/NT4/2000!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but it seems the most logical place to start - I couldn't find any previous posts:

With Win7, the Windows Updates there are 34 Language updates 'OPTIONAL' listed there since day one. A minor annoyance, but I would like to be rid of them since I do not want to install them...can we get rid of updates that we don't want to install?

I've been looking through all the obvious places and even the "GodMode" shortcut and I can't seem to find anything. Forgive me if there's some option "right-under-my-nose" - I'm just not seeing it...

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but it seems the most logical place to start - I couldn't find any previous posts:

With Win7, the Windows Updates there are 34 Language updates 'OPTIONAL' listed there since day one. A minor annoyance, but I would like to be rid of them since I do not want to install them...can we get rid of updates that we don't want to install?

I've been looking through all the obvious places and even the "GodMode" shortcut and I can't seem to find anything. Forgive me if there's some option "right-under-my-nose" - I'm just not seeing it...

Right-click the updates -> 'Hide update'.

You'll have to do it one by one.

WTF turn anything off when windows 7 is what it is and works the way it is just fine. sure everyone has there opinion on what works fine and all but why not run the OS as default setting why bother messing with it because all your doing is trying to turn it in to something you had in the past turning things off or well disabling services related to features.

If you want windows 7 superbar to act more like vistas then why did you bother moving to 7 cause if you was not interested in any of its feature why move. i myself run windows 7 with everything enabled and things work perfect for me on my system and i got fast enough system with plenty of space so turning off stuff is a no Need i love all of windows 7 features and run them as they are intended to run as windows 7 was made to run. the windows 7 Devs put alot of time in effort making a product we would love to use .

sorry for the little rant but hey.

I think some people call this "making it your-own" - if you can't tweak it YOUR way, we might as well be robots...not everyone likes "DEFAULT" you know?!

Right-click the updates -> 'Hide update'.

You'll have to do it one by one.

YEP!, right-under-my-nose....thanks!

There's that feeling of "DUH" - didn't think to try a right-click... :blush: