Need a good wired router

Just as the topic says, I need to find a good wired router....I recently have been having a few issues with my modem, even connected directly to my computer I was getting about 6-7Mbit/s max when I should have been getting 15Mbit or so. I got Roadrunner to swap that out and I am not getting 18-20Mbit/s when connected directly to the modem. Now, connecting everything through my router, my speeds have dropped back down to 6-7Mbit max, so my next thought is my router going out (which could be why I have the wireless issue which causes my internet to drop out when I start a wireless transfer from within my network).

So, any suggestions on a solid wired router? Preferably from Newegg but as long as its a reputable place I'll go for it.

How many devices do you have connected to the router as it is. The more devices you have connected the more likely you are to have a slower connection speed. As the bandwidth is spread out over all the devices? However it should not slow down that much unless you have around 15-20 devices connected.

What is the uplink port on the modem? 10/100 or 10/100/1000? If it's the later, get a wireless N router with gigabit networking. I know you're after a wired device, but if even if you have only 802.11g you will see a boost there as well.

I only have G devices and I have the Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem, using the Netgear WNR3500 v2 (low end 802.11n w/ gigabit router). I consistently get 30Mbit on my 12Mbit plan from Comcast. A coworker has the same modem with a wireless G router (10/100 uplink) and he can't break 10Mbit he said unless he plugs directly in to the modem.

How many devices do you have connected to the router as it is. The more devices you have connected the more likely you are to have a slower connection speed. As the bandwidth is spread out over all the devices? However it should not slow down that much unless you have around 15-20 devices connected.

Only 4 devices, sometimes 5-6 depending on whether I am working on friends computers or not, but never any more than 10.

What is the uplink port on the modem? 10/100 or 10/100/1000? If it's the later, get a wireless N router with gigabit networking. I know you're after a wired device, but if even if you have only 802.11g you will see a boost there as well.

I only have G devices and I have the Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem, using the Netgear WNR3500 v2 (low end 802.11n w/ gigabit router). I consistently get 30Mbit on my 12Mbit plan from Comcast. A coworker has the same modem with a wireless G router (10/100 uplink) and he can't break 10Mbit he said unless he plugs directly in to the modem.

I am not sure of the uplink port on the modem itself, but I try to keep my LAN all on gigabit gear to keep the highest transfer speeds throughout my home network. I know my current router and switch are both running at gigabit, as well as my main computers network cards.

One thing I have noticed, could it be interference with other components? I have my switch on the bottom with the router and modem both sitting on top of it. If I pull my modem and/or router off the switch and away from the other two components, my speeds jump back up to the 15-20mbit I should be getting. The second I put them back together again, the speed drops to anywhere from 4-7mbit.

EDIT: Some interference could also explain why wireless transfers within my network kill my modem (cause it to disconnect).

Just a final update, pulling my router away from my modem fixed both issues. I am getting full download speeds (15-20Mbit/s vs the 5-7Mbit I was getting) AND I no longer have that modem disconnection while transferring over wireless (any large transfer to a wireless computer caused my modem to stop working until the transfer was done). So it seems something in my router was simply interfering with my modem 24/7, limiting my download speed, and also killing my modem during heavy wireless transfers.