UFC 111

I was partial to the Carwin/Mir fight. I've wanted to see Carwin/Lesnar for a long time, but I'm sentimental and I really wanna see Mir/Lesnar 3. Trouble is, against the big guys, Mir has just been too easily overpowered. Next up for Mir, logically, will probably be Velasquez or Dos Santos. As for Carwin, stunning again, I just really can't wait to see him take on Lesnar!

GSP as dominant as ever and a move up to 185 is probably next up on the cards. I can see them doing a super fight maybe on Super Bowl weekend of GSP vs. Silva. But let's not forget Dan Hardy, sure he was totally out fought, but damn that heart! Armbar and the Kimora! Amazing - Rubber and Elastic! lol!

I expected Carwin to pull off the win, alot of people underestimate him and like to talk **** about how he can't compete with Lesnar. I think this fight has changed their mind. I knew he would win, did not expect it so quickly. On a side note, Dan mirgliotta needs to be removed as a ref. Way to break them up when they are against the fence but let Carwin keep punching him when he's KO'd.

About GSP, complete dominance as usual as expected. People are not happy with his performance, but those are the same people that don't understand the sport fully. Sure it wasn't a KO but it was total dominance. He kept pushing the pace, it's not as if he got lazy. GSP will not fight Silva, it's not gonna happen. Dana has said he doesn't want it to happen, and Silva wants to move up to Heavyweight once the division is cleared out, yes that's right, HEAVYweight. Silva walks around at 230ish, that's too much weight for GSP although a superfight like that would be awesome to watch.

Me and the wife were thinking about the classes while watching the fight and thought it would be really cool to see a class shift, like Silva/GSP/Penn all shifting up a weight class and see how it plays out, of course this would mean a new LW champ, but it would be awesome to see.

But let's not forget Dan Hardy, sure he was totally out fought, but damn that heart! Armbar and the Kimora! Amazing - Rubber and Elastic! lol!

Yeah, I was shocked that Hardy didn't tap out to either of those! They both looked nasty! I saw the pained look on his face when GSP twisted the armbar and I was amazed that he survived that. He said he doesn't give up; after that fight, I'm not gonna disagree with that.

I'm also surprised that Carwin dominated Mir that quickly! I haven't been following UFC for long, so I don't know too much, but I watched Mir defeat Brock Lesnar in Brock's debut, so I was expecting Mir to put up more of a fight. Still, Lesnar vs. Carwin; I'll look forward to that! :)

Anyone catch Rousimar Palhares vs. Tomasz Drwal? Shame about Drwal; he went for a kick, missed, and he slipped on the Bud Light sign in the middle of the Octagon, and then Palhares immediately capatalised by locking in a heel hook and making him tap out almost immediately. Looks like he got seriously injured from it as well, as Palhares kept it on for about three seconds after he tapped.

On a side note, Dan mirgliotta needs to be removed as a ref. Way to break them up when they are against the fence but let Carwin keep punching him when he's KO'd.

Damn right. Mir was out long before it was stopped.

Damn right. Mir was out long before it was stopped.

Carwin even looked up at him as to say "should i stop?". Complete BS ref.

Yeah, I was shocked that Hardy didn't tap out to either of those! They both looked nasty! I saw the pained look on his face when GSP twisted the armbar and I was amazed that he survived that. He said he doesn't give up; after that fight, I'm not gonna disagree with that.

I'm also surprised that Carwin dominated Mir that quickly! I haven't been following UFC for long, so I don't know too much, but I watched Mir defeat Brock Lesnar in Brock's debut, so I was expecting Mir to put up more of a fight. Still, Lesnar vs. Carwin; I'll look forward to that! :)

Anyone catch Rousimar Palhares vs. Tomasz Drwal? Shame about Drwal; he went for a kick, missed, and he slipped on the Bud Light sign in the middle of the Octagon, and then Palhares immediately capatalised by locking in a heel hook and making him tap out almost immediately. Looks like he got seriously injured from it as well, as Palhares kept it on for about three seconds after he tapped.

Yeah he got a 3 month suspension for that from the NJ athletic commission. Uncalled for if you ask me, it's not up to the fighter to stop, it's the Ref that makes the call. There have been many instances where people have "appeared" to tap but then say they didn't, and in an industry where a win means alot, it's up to the ref to make the call IMO.

Yeah he got a 3 month suspension for that from the NJ athletic commission. Uncalled for if you ask me, it's not up to the fighter to stop, it's the Ref that makes the call. There have been many instances where people have "appeared" to tap but then say they didn't, and in an industry where a win means alot, it's up to the ref to make the call IMO.

Yeah, I agree the ref was at fault as well. He wasn't in close enough to stop it quickly.

Damn, I just found a list of all the suspensions made after the PPV. There's Palhares' disciplinary suspension, and there's also six medical suspensions:

• Frank Mir: Suspended 30 days for precautionary reasons
  • Mark Bocek: Suspended 30 days for scalp laceration
  • Rory Markham: Suspended 30 days for facial laceration
  • Rousimar Palhares: Suspended 90 days for not releasing submission
  • Tomasz Drwal: Suspended indefinitely pending X-ray of left knee and ankle
  • Jared Hamman: Suspended indefinitely pending X-rays of right foot; also suspended minimum of 60 days due to lacerations on right foot
  • Matthew Riddle: Suspended indefinitely pending CT scan

I don't know, Carwin should have stopped, Mir was knocked cold and unresponsive, I've seen other fighters stop and walk away in similar situations. If you have time to ask the ref if you can/should stop, then you need to stop.

As far as the Drwal/Palhares fight, I can see the point of the NJ Ath comm, he destroyed the knee joint almost immediately and still didn't let go as soon as the ref told him it was over. Listen to Joe's comments as he continues to crank the knee for about five extra seconds. But, I also see Palhares' point of view, it's still a fight until the REF says stop, so this one is tough to call. I don't think he has a history of injuring opponents, so maybe it was too long.

The officiating in the UFC has gone down hill very fast, they are often out of position and at times don't seem to know what they are doing. I understand it's probably a thankless and extremely difficult job, and everybody is going to second guess every stoppage, but I still think they could do a better job. They talk about saftey of the fighters being their number one concern, but Joe also commented on a break issued by a ref in another fight (I'm drawing a blank on which one) in which he thought the ref was respnoding to the crowd booing. I wonder if any of these guys graduated from Big John's School?

Joe also commented on a break issued by a ref in another fight (I'm drawing a blank on which one) in which he thought the ref was respnoding to the crowd booing.

I think that was either Carwin/Mir, or GSP/Hardy.

Scratch that. I just looked back, and it was Fitch/Miller. About 3:45 into the second round. The crowd started booing enourmously, and then eventually, Dan Miragliotta (the ref) succumbed to the crowd and stood them up.

Scratch that. I just looked back, and it was Fitch/Miller. About 3:45 into the second round. The crowd started booing enourmously, and then eventually, Dan Miragliotta (the ref) succumbed to the crowd and stood them up.

same thing happend in the Mir/Carwin fight too though.. bout 2 min in, up against the fence, it was broken up and Joe commented about how he didn't think it was right. Then Mirgliotta stood by and watched Carwin beat the snot out of KO'd Mir. This is not Mirgliotta's first bad stoppage either.. he's had a long history of being a poor Ref.

I don't know, Carwin should have stopped, Mir was knocked cold and unresponsive, I've seen other fighters stop and walk away in similar situations. If you have time to ask the ref if you can/should stop, then you need to stop.

Carwin was asked what goes through his mind during his fights and he responded... I dont know... I just fight till someone tells me to stop... Its like i black out. (cant remember where i read that at, sorry)

Also, i just read this...

UFC President Dana White announced via ESPN that the winner of the Interim Heavyweight Championship bout between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin at UFC 111 will face Lesnar to unify the titles. After winning the fight, Shane Carwin is expected to face Lesnar. If he is not medically cleared to compete, then fellow contender, Cain Velasquez will be given a shot at the title.

Also, looks like Mir really hates Lesner... Must be because he was held down to the mat with one arm and had his face punched in with the other..

"A lot of individuals are so worried about being politically correct," Mir said in an interview with Mark Madden on WXDX radio. "I'd rather go ahead and say what's on my mind than to sit there and come up with some PC 'Oh, the guy is a great fighter and I have a lot of respect for him.' If I don't mean it, why is it even coming out of my mouth? ... I want to fight Lesnar. I hate who he is as a person. I want to break his neck in the ring. I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries. That's what's going through my mind."

Carwin was asked what goes through his mind during his fights and he responded... I dont know... I just fight till someone tells me to stop... Its like i black out. (cant remember where i read that at, sorry)

Also, i just read this...

UFC President Dana White announced via ESPN that the winner of the Interim Heavyweight Championship bout between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin at UFC 111 will face Lesnar to unify the titles. After winning the fight, Shane Carwin is expected to face Lesnar. If he is not medically cleared to compete, then fellow contender, Cain Velasquez will be given a shot at the title.

Also, looks like Mir really hates Lesner... Must be because he was held down to the mat with one arm and had his face punched in with the other..

"A lot of individuals are so worried about being politically correct," Mir said in an interview with Mark Madden on WXDX radio. "I'd rather go ahead and say what's on my mind than to sit there and come up with some PC 'Oh, the guy is a great fighter and I have a lot of respect for him.' If I don't mean it, why is it even coming out of my mouth? ... I want to fight Lesnar. I hate who he is as a person. I want to break his neck in the ring. I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries. That's what's going through my mind."

I think we all pretty much knew this stuff already man. It's been said for months now.

Dan Hardy is made out of rubber. Still, he never had a chance. GSP was superior in every aspect and Dan Hardy should have prepared for his own weaknesses like his ground game.

Carwin is a beast. Mir should have tried to take it to the ground like he did with Congo. He should have know that there was no way he could stand and band against Carwin. He tried that against Lesnar and BAM! Same story.

I have a very positive impression of UFC 111. All the fights were pretty good, no snore & lay-and-pray fests. Much better than UFC 110. I hope that UFC 112 continues this streak. I also hope that Machida gets destroyed in UFC 113!

It's really not, that ###### shouldn't even be allowed back in the UFC, this isn't the first time he's kept a submission going long after the ref tried pull him off, when you see someone repeatedly tap and a ref pulling at your arms theirs no reason to keep the submission going, and who cares about a 90 day ban when most fighters fight every 4 months?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOoiobUwnTw

I think we all pretty much knew this stuff already man. It's been said for months now.

I just read it... Guess i live under a rock?