How to wire RJ45 socket?

Hi guys,

Nice and simple, I understand that the "inlet" and "outlet" sockets need to be wired differently with the crossover cable. One end wired up as "A" and the other as "B". I can see how to do this as the wiring diagram on the back looked quite straightforward. However does it matter which one is wired A or B or does it actually matter as long as both of them are different?

Many thanks!

Alex

Edit: Infact, do the inlet and outlet sockets need to be wired differently? AGH I'm confused! :/

I understand that but it still doesn't explain the difference between type A and type B?

I'll reiterate that I have two sockets which I am trying to connect with a Cat6 cable. The wiring is straight forwards but the only thing that confused me is that it's wried one way for type A and another for type B.

Does this means one is an inlet and another is the outlet?

Or do I just wire them both as A or both as B?

Many thanks.

Alex

post-33944-1261231645_thumb.jpg

Jeez, it's a shame that a question like this has been ignored so long. :no:

Wire both the same. Use A, by preference, but it would work fine if you use B

Wiring up "crossover" is not recommended. This is a straight run to be used as a connection point for a PC or other equipment. No crossover is needed.

Hope that helps.

pining for A or B doesn't really matter as long as it is consistent, either all A or all B. With the current gigabit standard the equipment will auto x if needed. I have personally always used the B. I have always remembered it as light-dark-light-dark-light-dark-light-dark, light resembling the white with colored stripe and dark resembling the solid color. Pin out is orange, white-green, blue, green, brown so in reality is:

white orange - orange - white green - blue - white blue- green - white brown - brown

pining for A or B doesn't really matter as long as it is consistent, either all A or all B....
It does, there are standards for different geographical areas, and it will matter once you start to introduce third party cables into the Mix, for example if your vertical wiring is "A" then you buy a premade "B" for your horizontal cabling, you effectively have a cross over cable. Edited by p858snake

It does, there are standards for different geographical areas, and it will matter once you start to introduce third party cables into the Mix, for example if your vertical wiring is "A" then you buy a premade "B" for your horizontal cabling, you effectively have a cross over cable.

Huh?

Pinouts for both are straight through. Pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.

The only difference is what color of insulation is on the wires. (and each twisted pair has its own unique number of twists per foot)

So, no. You don't get a crossover for using an A in one place and a B in another.

Huh?

Pinouts for both are straight through. Pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.

The only difference is what color of insulation is on the wires. (and each twisted pair has its own unique number of twists per foot)

So, no. You don't get a crossover for using an A in one place and a B in another.

Yes, straight through is Matching end to end, but "A" "B" are primary standards in different parts of the world, for example, "A" is the standard in European countries and "B" is the standard is America.

And yes, It is highly possible to create cross over cables by joining cables without noticing, especially when mixing store brought and home-made since they are just "A" on one end and "B" on the other. Example:

[Home-made "A" Cable][Home-made Internal Wall Cable "A"][Store-brought "B" Cable]
(Computer)[-------------------][---------------------------------][-----------------------](Computer)

Your example shows pin one going through and connecting to.... wait for it... Pin one.

There is NOTHING crossed over in your example.

Your example shows pin one going through and connecting to.... wait for it... Pin one.

There is NOTHING crossed over in your example.

You might want to look at the standards.

screenshot.21-12-2009%2022.34.37.png

To create a straight through cable both cables should be the same letter at either end, to create a cross over it is a letter at either end.

So its easier to see how a cross over cable is done there is also this diagram

screenshot.21-12-2009%2022.45.45.png

Yes.

I understand.

I can have an A-A-A connection, and it is straight through.

I can have a B-B-B connection, and it is straight through.

I can have an A-B-A connection, and it is straight through.

I can have an A-B-B connection, and it is straight through.

In fact, any combination of A and B cables always is straight through.

Like he says, there is no difference between A and B apart from which pair is split by the blue pair on 4/5 (which is there for compatibility with phone systems). A splits pair 2, while B splits pair 3. The wiring is still the same on both.

It's the pinout that defines the order of the various TX/RX channels, and the pinout is the same on both A and B.

Can I enquire as to why there are two different methods in wiring for this?

As far as I know it's historical. They were based on the wiring schemes used in older phone and networking system. A and B have different backwards compatibilities, but as long as all you're doing is Ethernet it's completely irrelevant which one you use.

Most face plates and patch panels show B rather than A. Never seen a standard network use anything other than B tbh. As said previously wiring one end as A and the other as B you'll end up with a crossover cable. Crossovers are kinda redundant these days anyway, most newer devices autoswitch.

It does, there are standards for different geographical areas, and it will matter once you start to introduce third party cables into the Mix, for example if your vertical wiring is "A" then you buy a premade "B" for your horizontal cabling, you effectively have a cross over cable.

As stated by many people, it really doesn't matter. Copper is copper, it is still going to conduct the same as long as the pinouts are properly configured, splitting the 3 and 6 wire on the modular plug keeping them on the same twisted pair. It really doesn't matter color. Now if you want to keep things as standards then yes it does matter and you should keep in with your standard. FYI, just about every patch cable that I have purchased recently are all B standard, not A.