• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Internet Exploer 8 bug?

Question

Inertia    41

I use Internet Explorer 8, I like it as a browser, i'm not interested in peopel suggestign alternative browsers, however it has this bug, which I ahve seen a few things, and I was wondering if anyone had any information / fix for it.

While I am on neowin forums, it shows me the WAP / Mobile verison of the forums increadibly annoying.

I have cleared out all of my cache /cookies /temp files etc which hasnt helped.

My dads laptop has the same problem, when he is on ebay though, it show sthe mobile version.

No otehr sites give problems on either of our machines. Mine shows ebay fine and his shows neowin forums fine.

6 answers to this question

S.U.    2

Never saw this problem. :o both the sites are displayed correctly on my IE8

Code Name: Lockdown    9,536

I fail to see how this could be down to IE unless you have an odd user agent string?

Inertia    41

I fail to see that as well, hence the question mark, but also cannot see any other reason, my user agent string is unmodified.

The_Wizard    0

Have you tried visiting Neowin in a different browser, even if you uninstall it afterward, just so you can narrow down the problem to IE8 or not.

BajiRav    2,137

Did you try changing the forum skin? (lower left)

Inertia    41

I change the skin by press ing "full version" but its back to mobile when I return.

The problem doesnt occur in chrome.

Here are the headers my browser is sending to the webserver tested on whatsmyuseragent.com :

HTTP_CONNECTION:Keep-Alive
HTTP_ACCEPT:application/x-ms-application, image/jpeg, application/xaml+xml, image/gif, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-xbap, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING:gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE:en-GB
HTTP_HOST:whatsmyuseragent.com
HTTP_REFERER:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ei=UKkxS8SfCMSL4Aa955SqCA&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAYQBSgA&q=my+user+agent&spell=1
HTTP_USER_AGENT:Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; InfoPath.2; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01)

Looks normal to me.