Does Microsoft Entourage 2008 support Exchange in the Home edition?

Hi!

I'm looking at buying Office 2008 Home and Student Edition for Mac. I would like to be able to access my work's exchange server, but I see plainly from Microsoft's website that Exchange Support is not one of the features for the "Home and Student Edition."

That being said, Entourage 2008 IS included in the Home and Student Edition and I had thought that this was Microsoft's Exchange client for Mac.

Additionally, I think the trial version that I am running now is the Home and Student Edition (not 100% clear on this, but the features of the Business version were not included so I can only assume). This trial version has Exchange server support in Entourage.

Can anyone give me a clear answer here? Does Entourage 2008 support Exchange if you purchase it with the Home and Student Edition?

Side bonus question: On my work laptop in Outlook under the "Connection" tab for my Microsoft Exchange Server account properties I use the "Exchange over the Internet" option with the "Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP" checked. This is a cool feature for me because I can access my Exchange inbox w/o being on-site and I do not need to log into the VPN anymore. Does anyone know if this feature exists in Entourage 2008?

Home and Student Edition does not include Exchange support. Sorry. :(

As for the HTTP option: the Entourage Web Services Edition (free download if you have Office 2008) uses OWA, so it's similar to setting that option in Outlook. Snow Leopard's Exchange support also uses OWA.

Home and Student Edition does not include Exchange support. Sorry. :(

Hi! Thank you so much for your response! So, if I understand correctly, the "Exchange" option does not exist in Entourage 2008 in the Home and Student Edition. Hmm..that sucks.. so it is basically just a MS Email client for Mac, I take it. I guess it doesn't really surprise me, since the Home and Student edition of Office 2007 for Windows doesn't even come with Outlook.

As for the HTTP option: the Entourage Web Services Edition (free download if you have Office 2008) uses OWA, so it's similar to setting that option in Outlook. Snow Leopard's Exchange support also uses OWA.

What does that mean, exactly? Is there a way for me to access my Exchange email through Mail.app or something?

Hi! Thank you so much for your response! So, if I understand correctly, the "Exchange" option does not exist in Entourage 2008 in the Home and Student Edition. Hmm..that sucks.. so it is basically just a MS Email client for Mac, I take it. I guess it doesn't really surprise me, since the Home and Student edition of Office 2007 for Windows doesn't even come with Outlook.

What does that mean, exactly? Is there a way for me to access my Exchange email through Mail.app or something?

Yep. Exchange email will come through Mail, calendar and tasks through iCal, and contacts through Address Book. Read about it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/exchange/.

The only downside is that your Exchange server has to be at least Exchange 2007. Entourage Web Services Edition also requires Exchange 2007. Entourage 2008 can work with Exchange 2003, but in my experience it's very finicky and unreliable.

Tell those guys to get to work. :laugh: Jeez, Exchange 2010 is out already.

Lol! No doubt. I think we just got our first workstation that has Windows 7 on it a few days ago. Everyone else is still on XP.

What surprises me is that connecting to our exchange server with my iPhone was trivial. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to work with my Mac even through Entourage off-site atm. Maybe at work I can get some support.

What surprises me is that connecting to our exchange server with my iPhone was trivial. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to work with my Mac even through Entourage off-site atm. Maybe at work I can get some support.

Yep. ActiveSync makes it really easy. Snow Leopard needs Exchange 2007 because 2007 allows Outlook Web Access to do something similar to how ActiveSync works without the licensing costs.