[Hobby] Meteorology

Who here loves Meteorology?

Thunderstorms and winter storms are some of the best parts of my day when they occur. :p

I was going to school to become a meteorologist, but priorities changed and I ended up switching my degrees.

Whenever there is a major weather event I've got all my displays going with weather maps, alerts, you name it.

One of these days I'm hoping to go storm chasing in Tornado Alley.

Anyone else love to study or observe weather? :)

My dad does. He absolutely loves weather. My mom tells me that he would often look up at the skies ahead even when they dated! :p

He has retired from the military recently and currently works at an airport doing forecasts. He would also love to go storm chasing. Recently he has picked up some camera books and wants to pick up photography to take pictures of the sky.

As for me, I enjoy watching it, but probably not to the level you or he does (he also prints out maps and predicts or whatever, gets excited when a storm is coming our way).

The most beautiful sight for me was when I took a trip to the canyons for a morning breakfast (6AM), and seeing lightning flickering off in the distance. It was amazingly beautiful.

The scariest is when we were nearly hit by the May 3rd tornado when I lived in Oklahoma. The roar of the tornado and the window blinds moving around, I was quite scared (I was in 5th or 6th grade). After all was safe, I went outside and saw branches and debris everywhere. A three minute walk to a collapsed gasoline station and destroyed apartment complexes behind it... it was a unique experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the weather as well. I watch it all the time. My wife swears I should have been a Meteorologist. When it gets bad weather that's when it's most interesting.

I studied to be a Meterologist in College as well, but it didn't work out the way I planned sadly. I've always loved weather and the dynamics involved in how things work. I love violent weather systems like Hurricanes (though less now that I live in Hurricane Alley USA) and Blizzards etc.

Hell when I was younger and living in Brooklyn NY if the forecast called for snow to start overnight after midnight I'd stay up till all hours waiting for the first flakes to start falling. I'd even leave the bottom part of my window open when it was really snowing out and I'd wake up with snow in my room lol