Michael Schumacher is back (for realz this time)

Schumacher makes F1 return

By Jonathan Noble

Michael Schumacher will return to Formula 1 in 2010, after Mercedes GP confirmed on Wednesday that the seven-time world champion is joining its team next year.

The German, who will turn 41 in January, has been linked with the outfit ever since Mercedes-Benz took over Brawn GP. He finally concluded a three-year deal to make a sensational F1 return on Tuesday evening.

Schumacher originally retired from F1 at the end of 2006, and he had appeared fully content to be away from the pressures and strains of racing in motor sport's top category.

He maintained links with F1 through an ambassadorial role with Ferrari, and his on-track activities revolved around outings in a kart and a move to motorcycle racing.

However, last season Schumacher agreed to a comeback as a temporary stand-in for the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari.

Despite training hard for the return, however, Schumacher's plans had to be called off due to a neck injury that he had sustained in a motorcycle crash earlier this year.

The events of the summer appeared to have rekindled his enthusiasm for F1 and when Brawn GP failed to conclude a deal with world champion Jenson Button for 2010, Schumacher was instantly installed as the favourite to replace him.

The deal could not be concluded until Schumacher's neck was given the all-clear by doctors but once that happened, talks advanced quickly to seal the deal.

Schumacher's move to Mercedes GP marks a reunion between himself and the German car maker that helped push him into F1.

He raced for Mercedes-Benz as part of its junior driver programme, competing in world sportscar events during 1990 and 1991.

Schumacher's decision means that Mercedes GP will field an all-German driver line-up in 2010, having already confirmed several weeks ago that Nico Rosberg will race for it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80651

It's always been an interesting season :p

2010 is going to be the most interesting season in ages. Schumacher against the young guns like Hamilton, Massa, Vettel, Rosberg... hell yeah.

I am relieved that he won't be at Ferrari, but I am still a little irritated by this news, as I dislike him a fair bit, and I also feel sorry for rosberg as I feel his chances of getting equal treatment are low

Just the name schumacher makes f1 worth watching. How come he's not joining Ferrari?

Because Ferrari already have 2 contracted drivers. Michael drove for a lot for Mercedes in lower formulae and I guess now that they have their own team again, this was his perfect opportunity to drive for them, not to mention that it reunites him with Ross Brawn.