Parents looking to record TV, need ideas

DVD recorders record to DVDs, not hard drives. Exactly the same as a VCR records to VHS, they record to DVD.

Yes that is what I was referring to above. Did you read my post and click the link?

Tell him to bite the bullet, it's only a few bucks more a month.

My mom was the same way until I got her a DVR through the SAT provider (DirecTV), now she doesn't know how she managed not being able to record two shows at once (because the things she likes to watch come on at the same time on the same day). She's not that technical, but it was fairly easy to figure out and setup to record all of her shows when they come on.

She loves it better than having the VCR: one less remote, easier to navigate/switch to what she recorded, doesn't have to buy new tapes or rewind them.

EDIT: I think it added like 5-6 bucks to the monthly bill. After using it, she has no problem with that minor charge.

Edited by CrashGordon

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, recording ain't what it used to be. VCRs were very convenient. You can record one show one day and record another show on another on the same tape (can't do that with DVD recorders). And you can take the tape to another person's house and play it on their VCRs (can't do that with DVRs). This is why I thank God that I have 2 VCRs in the house that still work. But I don't really use them much for two reasons: there's rarely anything on TV today that's worth recording and whatever you miss on TV, it's up on YouTube within 24 hours.