How to Watch Video From PC to TV?

Hello!

Okay, my graphics card is currently a ATI 4800 HD, but only has two digital outpuds and a small circle shape plug in the middle. I do have some converter plugs to make them into the old RGB connector which will enable me to use the TV I have like a projector. However, how would I go about doing this?

Would buying a new graphics card be easier with the proper connections? Also, what about sound? Obviously the above solution would only transfer video, but currently my speakers are positioned around the computer, not the TV.

Thanks

It would help to know exactly what kinds of connectors you have on both your TV and video card. You weren't very specific there in your post. A picture of the connectors on each would be best if possible.

MrSpoon - do you have an HDTV? every tv ive seen has a vga port on the back. get a dvi-to-vga converter (usually come w/ the graphics card) and run a vga cable to the tv. done.

MrSpoon - do you have an HDTV? every tv ive seen has a vga port on the back. get a dvi-to-vga converter (usually come w/ the graphics card) and run a vga cable to the tv. done.

That would degrade the quality though?

What inputs does your TV have?

Yeah, the TV has that one the back, but surely this is just video? Here's some pics:

Graphics Card:

ati-radeon-4800-hd.jpg

TV:

post-39459-1262029628_thumb.jpg

Sorry the picture is rubbish. I have a 5.1 system hooked up to the PC, so I guess I could use the headphone jack from that and run it into the white/red slots on the TV for the audio. I didn't know if there was a simpler way? No PS3 or X-Box.

Although I am looking at getting my own TV, as this one is currently owned by my housemate but shared.

Why cant you just use the component connection? The picture is going to look exactly the same on all the connections as long as your TV supports the same resolutions, which Im sure it does. As to the person who said DVI to vga will "degrade" the connection, you're wrong.

1. Buy PS3

2. Hook it up to home network

3. Install PS3 Media Server on PC

4. Hook PS3 to TV

5. ????????

6. PROFIT!!!!!

Just what he said ^

I have all my movies in ISO format and using the PS3 Media Server it deals with them perfectly.

Why cant you just use the component connection? The picture is going to look exactly the same on all the connections as long as your TV supports the same resolutions, which Im sure it does. As to the person who said DVI to vga will "degrade" the connection, you're wrong.

That's me.

DVI digital, VGA analog

DVI good at high res, VGA get a little blurry, DVI sharper

But looking at OP's option, I guess thats the simplest way to do it, as I think I see a VGA port at the back.

As for audio you can get them 3.5mm to RCA cables.

Edited by gaurav

That's me.

DVI digital, VGA analog

DVI good at high res, VGA get a little blurry, DVI sharper

But looking at OP's option, I guess thats the simplest way to do it, as I think I see a VGA port at the back.

You do realize that DVI supports both digital and analog right? You could make a straight DVI to VGA cable if you wanted. Also, "it gets blurry", isnt much of an argument.

Huh? Your GPU generates purely digital signal. The fact that it is converted to an analog signal itself implies there is a loss. Both these signals are then transferred to the DVI port. When you use DVI, you get more details compared to VGA. Read my post again, the differences at lower res are usually negligible, but at higher res I did find the image to be a bit sharper.

if your tv has hdmi get ati's dvi>hdmi dongle (iirc it has to be the ati one to get sound for some reason), another option is a device like the xtreamer, i got one for my mother and it works great for the price, personally i use a popcornhour a-110 again a great device but kinda overpriced compared to the xtreamer

• 4 weeks later...

he can just do 3.5mm to 3.5mm, the majority of tvs have a 3.5mm Jack, and some of them you have to use the 3.5mm to get audio along with your VGA connection.

My old system/setup was good for me.

Used a 20mtre RCA cable, Yellow, red and white.

Yellow connected to graphics card and the White RCA of the cable connected to the digital coax connection on the sound card.

Worked a treat.