Network Security on Unsecured Network with PS3?

I have an unsecured network in my home right now. I have a DIR-655 wireless N router broadcasting both a G and an N signal with DHCP enabled. I would secure my network with WPA but I have seen many with WEP and WPA problems on the PS3 so I have left the network unsecured. Furthermore, I highly doubt anyone can even pick up the signal from a nearby house as it would simply be too far away and too many walls and such to travel through.

Somehow, however, I recently discovered a computer on the network with an odd name I'd never seen before. I have no idea how someone is connecting to my signal but I guess it is possible. Now I am looking for an easy way to only allow my computers and my PS3 onto the network. What is the best and simplest way to do this?

Thanks,

Noah

steelcurtain, I know N is supposed to have a large range but just three rooms away from the router on the same floor and the N signal is already a bit inconsistent.

Randomiser, that will probably be my next step. If not hopefully WEP will work. I know it is not a great solution but it may deter whoever is trying to connect from doing so.

Why don't you just hide SSID broadcasting, so noone will be able to 'see' the network but will still be able to access it if they know its there.

Osiris and I8PP, I haven't actually tried it yet, but I distinctly remember a very long thread on the playstation forums about it and nobody said they had a PS3 working on WPA. Well this is encouraging. When I get a couple of powerline adapters to get my PS3 online I will try WPA. I may try hiding the SSID if WPA doesn't work, thanks Shannon.

Hello,

You may wish to make sure you have the latest firmware and device drivers for your networking gear, wireless LAN cards, etc., then go ahead and start trying to secure your network by enabling WEP in your wireless access point. WEP is an obsolete wireless security protocol and can be broken, so this is basically to verify things work. Once you have confirmed the network is operating, try switching to WPA (or, better yet, WPA2) and verifying all wirelessly networked device still connect.

You can try disabling SSID broadcasting as Shannon noted, and also look at limiting access by MAC address, if your access point supports it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Why don't you just hide SSID broadcasting
Because that is going to cause him nothing but PAIN in accessing his own network, causes more overhead and does not hide anything from anyone -- except maybe the doped up on meds 90 year old Alzheimer grandma next door.

We have gone over it and over it and over it -- Not broadcasting your SSID is NOT a method to secure your wireless.

PS3 supports both WPA and WPA2 from a quick search -- I have not heard of any issues with either of them. Not sure where you got your info? Could you point it out?

If your other hardware supports WPA2, then you should use that. Use a secure PSK, say 12 characters or so - unique ssid and your good to go..

Thanks for the responses. So I must be mistaken, then. That thread I saw about WPA not working on the PS3 must have only affected a select number of people (can't find it now).

When I can get the PS3 online I'll try WPA(2) and see if it works with all the computers. If it doesn't work I'll post back here.

Thanks again all,

Noah

most people i know who have had issues with wpa and their ps3 have issues with it because they either;

a) don't see why they need to secure wireless for their ps3 (missing the point that wpa is a blanket security i.e. affecting all devices not just their game consoles) and

b) have no knowledge of such things whatsoever.

isn't wpa enabled by default on a lot of free-issue routers from isps like aol? any wonder 'issues' have arisen?

Furthermore, I highly doubt anyone can even pick up the signal from a nearby house as it would simply be too far away and too many walls and such to travel through.

FYI.... You can be using a 802.11B router that has range of 150 feet and someone can still access it regarless of where you live. I know it's far fetched, but someone MILES away with the right antenna could see your network.

Cantenna @ 1.2 miles

Dish antenna @ 8miles

Wireless range depends on two things, the antenna on your router, and the antenna on the device receiving the signal. Antenna's can be crafted to pick up wireless from miles away.

Why don't you just hide SSID broadcasting, so noone will be able to 'see' the network but will still be able to access it if they know its there.

Worst suggestion ever. Hiding an SSID DOES NOT make the network invisible. And if you have someone around with enough knowledge to connect from a large distance I can assure you SSID hiding won't even slow him down. The only real option is to go with WPA or even better is WPA2, if the PS3 supports it. With a strong passphrase.

SSID hiding is worthless as a means of security, that isn't even what it exists for.