Society and Movies

As you can see, some of the most popular Blu-ray movies are: Up, The Wizard of Oz, Pinocchio, Snow White, etc.

Most of us adults here at Home Theater forums appreciate these movies, regardless of whether they?re ?for kids.? So, why does society frown upon adults buying these kinds of movies? When I told my friends and some of my relatives that I own The Wizard of Oz and Pinocchio and I plan on buying Snow White and Up soon, they all looked at me like I was crazy. They were puzzles why an adult like me would be interested in ?kids? movies.

And these are top selling titles, so I know there were MANY adults out there that bought these movies. And I know why.... Because they?re fun to watch and they?re classics. So, why does society frown upon adults buying these ?kids? movies? It doesn?t make sense. The sales figures prove that many kids AND adults enjoy these. So, why does society make it seem like it?s not normal??

Honestly I think that the adults out there who think that way miss the point of some of those films or they haven't seen them themselves. Take Up for example, it's a film where for the first ten minutes most four year olds would have a blank look on their face wondering what the hell is going on while we're sitting there getting choked up. Unfortunately due to marketing (really, who here knew that Up would have the most heart felt ten minutes of cinema out of all the films of the year right at the beginning?) no one thinks that these movies are for adults or adult themed in many areas.

At least that's what I think it has to do with, is a lack of understanding on their part about what the subject matter of these films truly is.

When Im older and have children hopefully I am going to buy all the disney movies I've watched when I was a kid. Toy Story 1 & 2, hercules, so much more. OH GOOFY LOL and micky mouse. classic.

I am not sure I understand the "society frown upon adults buying these kinds of movies" part... other than "friends and some of my relatives" of yours that tell you that you shouldnt buy them what other source do you have? I am not saying you are wrong but I have never heard/read or been told that I should not buy "kid" movies. I own all of the movies you mention as well as a few other Pixar/Disney titles that I purchased because they were a part of my childhood or I want them to be a part of my child's (someday) future. I saw Up in theaters with my wife and we both loved it, other movies like The Wizard of Oz I believe is one of those "Classic" movies that should be seen by all generations. I think you shouldnt worry about what your friends/family thinks about your movie choices as everything is just an opinion. I am curious to hear if you have anything to back up your society claim as I havent heard of such a thing....

Nope. No back up. It's just my friends and my relatives. Don't know why they're like that, especially my relatives (like my dad).

Another good "kids" movie I failed to mention was "Monsters vs. Aliens." My dad thought I was weird for buying that. He was mocking me by mentioning it to my 11 year old cousin, who didn't even know what it was, lol. He gave my dad a puzzled look and remained silent. Anywho.....M v. A is not as popular as Up or any of the other ones I mentioned. But it's a great CGI movies that did very well at the box office. It was a funny movie and I enjoyed it. And maybe it's just me, but there's quite a bit of adult-oriented humor in that film if you ask me.

Nope. No back up. It's just my friends and my relatives. Don't know why they're like that, especially my relatives (like my dad).

Another good "kids" movie I failed to mention was "Monsters vs. Aliens." My dad thought I was weird for buying that. He was mocking me by mentioning it to my 11 year old cousin, who didn't even know what it was, lol. He gave my dad a puzzled look and remained silent. Anywho.....M v. A is not as popular as Up or any of the other ones I mentioned. But it's a great CGI movies that did very well at the box office. It was a funny movie and I enjoyed it. And maybe it's just me, but there's quite a bit of adult-oriented humor in that film if you ask me.

This.... I feel recently alot of the animated films try to add a bit of "adult" content in there. Shrek comes to mind as one of the first "kids movie" that threw in alot of the subtle adult jokes. This may be a way of entertaining the adults who take their kid to see the moive (genius marketing if you ask me) and now its become part of the whole picture. Up is a good example, the opening 20 minutes or so was emotionally deep and prob flew over the heads of most of the kids that saw it... Parents and adults though were prob brought to tears or at least moved in some way. Even a movie like Wall-E had that deeper meaning about Earth destroying itself, big buisness (walmart) taking over the world... thats what I saw... a 6 year old kid saw a funny robot trying to find a plant. I really hope Up gets nominated for Best Picture this year, the last time we saw an animated film get the best picture nod was Beauty and the Beast.. well over 10 years ago.

• 5 weeks later...

I think most of those adults buying those movies bought them for their own kids, and the older movies as a nostalgia trip. We tried to watch Snow White when the "latest" special edition came out, it does not hold up. It's okay if you like it, differnt strokes and all, but a lot of the older stuff does not hold up and the newer stuff like Monsters Vs. Aliens is not nearly as good and won't hold up nearly as long.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see anything wrong in liking those films as I like them too...you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks as its your life and no-one can dictate someones interests/or likes or dislikes. You need to relax and feel comfortable about what is right for you and it seems like everyone else has the problem as you are the only one who knows what you like. If you are ashamed of what you like then perhaps not telling people you own the wizard of oz is a great conversation topic - why give them something to pick at you about - or you may get the opposite response from someone someday...like on here there are many people who like those movies so chin up and stop worrying about everyone else and enjoy your movies!!!! (thats practically an order but hopefully you get the idea!)