[UPDATED 1-6-2010] AppZapper 2.0.1

I have alot of these types of apps, previously Appzapper was more successful in figuring out all the stuff that was linked to apps when dragging a folder that contained the .app rather than just the .app being dragged in, I dunno really......... :p

Amazing, the AppZapper v1.x License I got for free years ago still works with this one! :woot: Didn't really expect that that v2.0 would ever see the light of day. :laugh:

Can someone tell me why you would choose to buy this over using AppCleaner, which is free and seems to do exactly the same thing?

From initial testing:

AppZapper can filter by specific size and date. (which incorporates some nice core animation) It can also sort by name, size, and last used.

Screen%20shot%202010-01-05%20at%204.06.38%20PM.png

AppCleaner doesn't seem to identify and delete some application caches or logs.

Screen%20shot%202010-01-05%20at%203.55.58%20PM.png

Screen%20shot%202010-01-05%20at%203.56.10%20PM.png

AppZapper doesn't require you to search for files, rather it seems to have an updated database or instant update for showing what files there are to zap. It also found an application that was in my Downloads folder (LimeChat), which AppCleaner did not show in its browse window.

AppZapper doesn't have an equivalent to AppCleaner's SmartDelete feature though. It's also hard to read the names of long files or applications in its scrunched up icon view.

Personally I always liked AppZapper because of it's nice interface. Although I have to admit I can't justify its price for the few neat things it offers over free alternatives.

I remember using AppZapper, but after it seemed like development just halted on it, I've had Hazel doing its job and it works like a charm.

They are lifetime lic are they not? I thought mine was

Yeap, the license includes lifetime updates. Like I said, I won mine for free during a promotion on MacGrab.com years ago. I really didn't expect it to last for ever as well. (Y)

Yeap, the license includes lifetime updates. Like I said, I won mine for free during a promotion on MacGrab.com years ago. I really didn't expect it to last for ever as well. (Y)

That's where I got mine too. :laugh: That was fun.

I got mine the same way.

After a while I found I didn't need the app that much since I wasn't constantly installing and uninstalling new apps, and a few stray 1Kb preference files don't bother me since I've got a 320GB HD.

Didn't OSX point fingers at Windows saying applications never fully go away in Windows, something or the other is always left behind?

If OSX really removes all references to an application by just having you drag the app on to Trash, then why do so many programs like this exist?

Didn't OSX point fingers at Windows saying applications never fully go away in Windows, something or the other is always left behind?

If OSX really removes all references to an application by just having you drag the app on to Trash, then why do so many programs like this exist?

No, some Mac fanboys have stated this (incorrect) fact over the years, when it fact both Windows and Mac OS X don't "fully" delete applications. On Mac OS X, old preferences files are scattered in various system folders, while on Windows, everything left behind is in the Registry. To some extent, that might make Windows a little "cleaner" in design, since the Registry is a centralized place for all applications.

Anyway, you can use AppZapper on Mac OS X and something like CCleaner on Windows to fully delete all the application's old preferences files, but doing so deletes any settings you might have had. I know with Firefox, if you do delete all the preferences, it won't save things like extensions, history, etc.

No, some Mac fanboys have stated this (incorrect) fact over the years, when it fact both Windows and Mac OS X don't "fully" delete applications. On Mac OS X, old preferences files are scattered in various system folders, while on Windows, everything left behind is in the Registry. To some extent, that might make Windows a little "cleaner" in design, since the Registry is a centralized place for all applications.

Except not really. You have applications scattering themselves in various parts of the registry plus the user's folder. In most OS X apps, you can bet you'll have something in ~/Library/Application Support, ~/Library/Preferences, and maybe ~/Library/Caches. Very easy to spot and remove.

Either way, these leftover files don't mess up anything on your system unless it's a very poorly coded application that's scattered more stuff across the system.