Can System Restore remove a trojan horse

Question

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. I checked the reports on Kaspersky and it said it been infected by a trojan horse. I'm kind of confused...why did Kaspersky allow the computer to be infected, why didn't it delete or disinfect it.

I used System restore to restore computer to earlier point. Will this get rid of the trojan.

I read online that the best way to get rid of a trojan is to erase all data from the hard disk and reinstall operating system. What do you think about this?

I'm using Windows Vista

17 answers to this question

There is no need to erase all your data, check what kind of a trojan you are infected with via Kaspersky and search for a fix on the net. These fixes usually solve your problems unless it is a very bad trojan and has ruined your windows installation.

There is no need to erase all your data, check what kind of a trojan you are infected with via Kaspersky and search for a fix on the net. These fixes usually solve your problems unless it is a very bad trojan and has ruined your windows installation.

There's a problem. After I did System Restore. The name of the trojan doesn't show up in Kaspersky any more. As a matter of fact, I've scanned the computer several times since doing System Restore and Kaspersky hasn't detected anything.

I would disable system restore, boot into safe mode / safe mode/networking. Then scan with a virus scanner / something like malwarebytes / trojan remover. Then if you want post a hijackthis log. It depends on WHAT the name of the trojan is. On what it can do. It may also be a rootkit, which can be hard to remove

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. I checked the reports on Kaspersky and it said it been infected by a trojan horse. I'm kind of confused...why did Kaspersky allow the computer to be infected, why didn't it delete or disinfect it.

I used System restore to restore computer to earlier point. Will this get rid of the trojan.

I read online that the best way to get rid of a trojan is to erase all data from the hard disk and reinstall operating system. What do you think about this?

I'm using Windows Vista

It is probably the best way to know for sure. To be honest, if you have a good backup scheme, it is likely the fastest too. Antivirus software can generally clean up infections, but it I'm always paranoid after I know I have gotten an infection and usually end up reinstalling the OS.

This reminds me that I need to do a backup today.

Would you recommend taking the computer to Geek Squad for a diagnostics scan?

I have no experience with Geek Squad. I'm sure results will vary from location to location.

It would probably be best to just backup your data and do a clean system OS install, rather than taking it to Geek Squad.

NO! LOL

Just install malwarebytes / other scanner, boot in safe mode and scan. Or if you're up to it, just reformat and clean install.

Geek Squad are a bunch of people who would do 10 minutes work and charge 10 times as much as it should.

Its easier doing it yourself with the right software, honestly.

NO! LOL

Just install malwarebytes / other scanner, boot in safe mode and scan. Or if you're up to it, just reformat and clean install.

Would it be safe to log on to my email accounts or any other accounts?

It would probably be best to just backup your data and do a clean system OS install, rather than taking it to Geek Squad.

How do I do that? Do I need an external hard drive?

How do I do that? Do I need an external hard drive?

External hard drives make it easy. Alternatively you can use CD/DVD-R's. The Windows 7 backup utility is decent, but I would just recommend identifying your important files and backing them up.

If you follow good computing guidelines and have kept all your personal files within your user folder and not scattered all over the place, it should be trivial to back it up.

Kaspersky just found 4 infections on my computer

1/10/2010 12:59:13 AM Infected virus HEUR:Trojan.Script.Iframer http://xml.cdn-adrotation.com/mFfvfmb8lJTw...kJJRiyHUnoKCIcq High

1/10/2010 12:59:13 AM Infected virus HEUR:Trojan.Script.Iframer http://xml.cdn-adrotation.com/adfirm_mid_s...firm_mid_strong High

1/10/2010 12:59:13 AM Infected Trojan program Trojan-Clicker.JS.Iframe.dh http://xml.pdnads.com/bootcamp_bizdaily.ht...otcamp_bizdaily High

1/10/2010 1:16:39 AM Infected virus HEUR:Trojan.Script.Iframer http://ad.doubleclick.holdrism.com/ad/N572...&sz=120x600 High

geek squad are garbage and they overcharge for what little they do as i prefer my ways instead of them(i do alot for little if any cost) and you don't need to format and reinstall that is only needed if your windows is hosed and can't be saved as not every av can detect all as they are not all created equal.