(OSX86) Monitor

Just wishing to know, im running snowleopard and have notice that my monitor colours dont look as good as they do on my windows install. is this a snow leopard thing or cause i have a non-apple monitor? when i look at my desktop wallpaper, i can see the grey flicking away, but dont get this under windows..

my current desktop

post-105406-1263339843_thumb.png

so i can see the greys parts are flicking away, but under windows there is no problem?

Have you tried calibrating the display? System Preferences -> Display -> Color -> Calibrate (I think). Even Apple's own displays/notebooks look much nicer when properly calibrated.

Have you tried calibrating the display? System Preferences -> Display -> Color -> Calibrate (I think). Even Apple's own displays/notebooks look much nicer when properly calibrated.

Thanks for that didnt know about that have played around with it, and still the same problem. I think ill test my flatmates monitor on my machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Flickering could be because of dithering, it is the most likely cause. Many others here will see the same behavior. The new iMacs with their IPS screens will not see this. If you have a CRT, you can try using that to see if the flickering still exists, if not then it is definitely just because of the monitor.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

OS X might enhance it somehow?

Edited by ObiWanToby

Just wishing to know, im running snowleopard and have notice that my monitor colours dont look as good as they do on my windows install. is this a snow leopard thing or cause i have a non-apple monitor? when i look at my desktop wallpaper, i can see the grey flicking away, but dont get this under windows..

my current desktop

post-105406-1263339843_thumb.png

so i can see the greys parts are flicking away, but under windows there is no problem?

I love your wallpaper. Your screenshot's colors look fine on my end... you probably just need to calibrate the colors to your monitor like bmaher suggested.

Just wondering: if you are having trouble with your monitor, why did you think that posting a screenshot would allow people to see what you are talking about?? That makes no sense.

Just wondering: if you are having trouble with your monitor, why did you think that posting a screenshot would allow people to see what you are talking about?? That makes no sense.

Good point but I can see it too :(

The gradient in the background isn't smooth.

Good point but I can see it too :(

The gradient in the background isn't smooth.

Looks smooth here. Sounds like your monitor is out of calibration as well. Taking a screenshot WILL NOT allow other people to see a problem that results from improper calibration of your monitor.

To see if anyone else had the same issue on there screen, and one other user posted he did, i wished to know if it was the monitor/video card/OS. Turns out my montior is getting old, and i have to get a new one, im having black lighting issues, so i get me a new Dell monitor.

What video card? VGA or DVI? what monitor? whats the resolution?

Nvidia Gigabyte GTX260 / DVI / 1680x1050. It is my monitor, its 2 years + and is time for a upgrade!

well i got me my new monitor today, Dell SP2309W 23" and its amazing screen, so clean and clear. The issue i had with OSX86, Snow Leopard is now gone, and i can see it was my monitor was just old and needed to trashed.