Anyone had a Failed BIO update?

Updateing the bios is a hazardous thing if you don't do it correctly. They should come with warnings that say. Update at your own risk. Or buy a new computer

Thus, I am afraid to do a Bios Upgrade.

When your computer runs fine, and the Bios Patch just has a fix for something you are not very concerned about...why the heck do you really need it.

If it's the second coming or something, then you need it.

Are there virus out there that would do a bad Bios flash ?

i know of a few, but dont remember names. They actually do a bad bios flash.

It really is easy and quick. Sometimes it adds features. Like some of the older Mobos need a flash for USB support or faster CPUs.

usually there should be something you can do to recover from screwing up ur bios....

try this, put the correct bios on a floppy, shove it in the messed up comp and turn it on, it should look for it and correct the version.

try looking at the site for the board, they should have some help on it.

Originally posted by linsook

usually there should be something you can do to recover from screwing up ur bios....

try this, put the correct bios on a floppy, shove it in the messed up comp and turn it on, it should look for it and correct the version.

try looking at the site for the board, they should have some help on it.

I wish that were TRUE..

I never personally had any problems, but I hear the only way is to get a new computer or get it to the Manufactor itself. Which sucks!!! :mad:

I had a failed bios flash update once. It wouldn't start up:

1) Press the power button

2) Computer gives out a long beep, screen shows nothing

3) Computer turns off

It is not difficult to fix:

1) Open the computer

2) Take out the battery that allows the CMOS to retain its data. This is like a flat watch battery or something on the motherboard.

3) Ensure that no electricity is actually reaching the computer: switch it off at the mains, and take out any UPS. If electricity is still reaching the motherboard (even though the computer is off, if the mains is on, electricity still flows), the CMOS will not lose power.

4) Wait a while

5) Put the battery back in, turn on the mains, then turn on the computer.

6) CMOS is reset. BIOS back to factory settings. Computer works.

Why the floppy doesnt work:

The computer with a corrupt bios will not even test the gfx card, or the memory. Much less access the floppy.

On the other hand, using the above method, you don't even have to bring it to the manufacturer to fix it.

Believe me, it works. I tried it before...

it is more likely than not that theres a boot recovery, and yes it will most likely access the floppy, its called a safegaurd just incase something liek this does happen.

ie: Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM

Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.

When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.

what manufacturere is yours?

maybe. depends on the manufacturer of the BIOS chipset I think. The question is, does the computer already detect the keyboard before the RAM/BIOS is tested/loaded? I mean, it definitely can detect keypresses after BIOS is tested/loaded (Press ESC to skip memory test, DEL to BIOS settings). But before that? Not sure. Even less chance with an USB keyboard...

well, try it. It worked for me the last time I did it...

There are many different ways of clearing a CMOS/BIOS!! Remember to refer to your M'board manual/manufacturer website before trying anything!!!

Nope removing the battery wouldn't work, if you screwed up when update your BIOS, the only way (that I know of) is to send the mobo back to the manufacture and get the BIOS chip replaced. :disappoin

This is an easy fix. VERY EASY.

If you have a failed BIOS FLASH.

#1 ALWAYS do a backup of your previous bios settings before you flash it.

#2 To correct your problem, open the computer case, there is a reset switch. Either a jumper (easy way) or there is 2 solder points that you short out using a wire. This will clear the memory. Easier then taking the battery out and waiting forever. That is pointless when you can clear it manualy in an instant.

If you need any help, email me at smith_donjr@hotmail.com

you can short the BIOS chip to reset it. But its hard.

But as I said, try the above two methods first before sending it off. They might just work.

Remember to take away ALL power, not just the battery.

I think some of us are confused about Bios and it's checksums. Reseting the bios only clears the checksum to the default and resets all the factory settings of the bios. Flashing the bios is replacing the memory that your motherboard runs everytime it starts up. If you failed to flash your bios at the very beginning, your motherboard is as good as gone. If it almost finishes and you fail, some of the init code will be enough for you to flash it again. That is why they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Also for those who wants to clear the CMOS, try a 1kOhm resistor. :)