3DMAX4 Can't Authenticate

Seeing that it costs ?3000 to buy it I assume you get some technical support. Just use the documentation that came with it to contact Discreet... or you could just email them.

If they can't help, just wait until the final version of WinXP.

-mortensenj

I think it's a common problem... It might just be an incompatibility with a certain XP build... many XP builds are "incomplete". I don't know anything about it though, I never tried to install it on XP RC1.

-mortensenj

I'll definately wait for the RTM before making a big deal about software compatibility with Window XP.

There must be a lot of bug fixes included in the 2600 build...I'm suprised to the the build number that Microsoft is at with the Windows XP development...they must have added and fixed a lot to be where they are now in their build.

Oh, maybe you are using some serial that's black listed?

also, i have heard that even if you have formated the harddrive, the previous license still in it (not sure how they do it)

But who cares,

I work around that problem by installing 3DMax on a win2k machine. Authenticate 3DMax, export the license and transfer it to your winxp machine. If you don't have other machine, create one with VMware or Virtual PC.

;)

Originally posted by FatFish  

also, i have heard that even if you have formated the harddrive, the previous license still in it (not sure how they do it)

nope, i believe that's impossible

Originally posted by FatFish  

This would require writing information into the low level section of the hard drive. This is very rarely done by any programs [i'm not sure if it's still possible]... Windows tend to do this.

To get rid of low level information would require a "low level" format of the hard drive. This goes through each sector and head and WIPES it. This can only be done via BIOS [not many support this - I've only had 1 BIOS that has allowed this]. This can take many hours. I could be wrong as I haven't heard anything about low level sections of the hard drive recently.

-mortensenj

well, i did a clean installation of XP on an old harddrive previously having 3dmax installed on it.

after i install 3dmax, upgrade the c-dilla driver, reboot then start 3dmax, its says it detects an old broken license and needs to re-authenticate again. When i tried to use the same request code, it didn't work.

And so i have created a VirtualPC running win2k, install 3dMax then upgrade to 4.2, then trying authenticate ...etc.

It still won't take my request code.

So then, i created a new VirtualPC running win2k again, install 3dmax withouth upgrading this time, and it accepted my code, that's why i think it kills the code that's in the black list.

And i know my code is in the black list.. Don't ask me why i know, coz i know.

so i just export the license and transfer it to the pc running xp, and it takes the license. 3dMax starts up without asking for code.

Yup, this is a c-dilla problem for which an update is available but in that update de serial/cd-key from the warezed version is blacklisted so it won't be accepted by c-dilla.

I have Max running in XP RC2 just fine (using a non-blacklisted key/serial) so the blacklisted thing must be it.

*SHOCK* *HORROR*

They don't want people to use illegal versions of their product.

Come on people, let's all work together to come up with a way that these people with illegal versions will still be able to use them.

ROTFLMFAO. If you still want to use it *and* it's legal then mail Discreet. If not save up and go out to the shops and buy it... remember is costs ?3000.

-mortensenj