Howto Enable Wake-On-Lan via WiFi?

I recently became the proud owner of a 2G iPod Touch for my birthday, so i bought LogMeIn as it seemed to be a brilliant app and i wasnt surprised when it worked perfectly..

But theres 1 little issue, i want to beable to turn the PC on via LogMeIn, this requires WOL - (Wake-On-lan) but i have Wi-Fi connection and many people say it doesnt work with wireless, whilst some people say it does.

Can anyone help me and clear up the issues? I just need to know howto set it up..

Is the computer itself connected via wireless or is it wired with just the ipod touch being wireless?

Computer itself has a wireless connection, or uses wireless to connect to the internet / router and the ipod touch is also wireless.

Computer itself has a wireless connection, or uses wireless to connect to the internet / router and the ipod touch is also wireless.

hmm.. im not sure if it can be done over wifi.

I've been wondering this too. How about using an Ethernet bridge?

So the actual computer is connected via Ethernet, but the bridge is then connected by wifi to the router.

No idea if it would work or not, just a thought. Anyone have any idea?

I've been wondering this too. How about using an Ethernet bridge?

So the actual computer is connected via Ethernet, but the bridge is then connected by wifi to the router.

No idea if it would work or not, just a thought. Anyone have any idea?

Im glad to see im not the only one looking for a way to get it working haha xD

Wireless WOL is going to be rare -- For this to work the wireless device would have to actually be connected to the wireless network and running when the laptop is in standby, hibernated or even off.. I find this to be an unlikely option.

Since your OS is off or in standby -- even if the card still had power to receive packets over the wireless connection -- since the OS handles the actual connection to the wireless network, ie your security, etc. etc.. How is card going to be connected to the wireless network when the OS is off?

It would have to be some proprietary type of setup where the wireless card itself was able to maintain the connection not related to the OS - so it could listen for the magic packet. In a wired network - even the machine is off/standby, the nic can still have enough power to it so that its listening for the packet sent to it mac..

I don't see how this could be done over wireless.. Now with wireless bridge it might be possible, since the bridge maintains the connection to the wireless network - and sure could pass the WOL info down its wire to the laptop connected by a wire to the bridge.

Not to say it's possible but i knew i saw something about it a while ago, just lazy to go and find it but here it is:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-029827.htm

I still don't think it makes sense especially for mobile systems. You could use this for systems in house but then why wouldn't you have those wired to the LAN?

Not to say it's possible but i knew i saw something about it a while ago, just lazy to go and find it but here it is:

http://www.intel.com...b/CS-029827.htm

I still don't think it makes sense especially for mobile systems. You could use this for systems in house but then why wouldn't you have those wired to the LAN?

Because having a computer connected via wifi means I don't have to have ethernet cables all over the place.

Well if you didn't design a place with LAN connections next to your electrical outlet then yeah, going wifi is better. WOL is great but only us geeks use it once in a while. Most IT people don't even use it that i know. The machines are left on all the time anyways so why bother.

WoWOL would be nice though as i said. I too would like it if it were doable and made sense to do so as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Since your OS is off or in standby -- even if the card still had power to receive packets over the wireless connection -- since the OS handles the actual connection to the wireless network, ie your security, etc. etc.. How is card going to be connected to the wireless network when the OS is off?

My concern exactly. The OS has to be on for a wireless connection to be detected and connected to.

OP: if you can connect this PC to the internet via wire (USB, ethernet, etc.) refer to this link:

http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm

• 1 year later...

^ yeah thats a wireless bridge, and we mentioned that would work a YEAR an HALF ago when this thread was active, but hey thanks for your input ;)