Ethernet Problem New ADSL/Router

Can someone please tell me if i need a ethernet driver for XP and should it show in Device Manager, all i am showing in Device Manager is:

post-158149-1264336446526_thumb.jpg

Is this all i need to achieve connection?

1384 is your FireWire connection - not your Ethernet. Let us know the make/model of your router and check you have the right cable (patch/straight-through cable to connect from Router to Host).

Thanks The Don, I am not interested in the 1384.It is the working entry below it that concerns me. What i want to know is the (Intel network) all i need or do i have something missing.ie Should there be an entry for Ethernet Driver. I have used the cable to connect to my netbook and this works 100%. Using the same cable i cannot get any joy on my main computer. I cannot even get the: http://192.168.1.1 to come up although the local area connection is good and the icon for connection says connected but no bytes in or out. All lights on WAG160N ADSL/Router are on including internet.

You're not even syncing with your router, which means the problem is either a bad NIC, driver related (NIC drivers), a bad cable (RJ45 cable going from your NIC card to your router), a bad router, or it could be as simple as some advanced settings in your Local Area Connection properties. Like someone else stated, paste your ipconfig /all results here. That will tell your gateway IP address (router) and people can help you troubleshoot from there.

Also, check the properties for your LAN connection. Make sure everything is set to automatic.

Start > Run > cmd

then type ipconfig /all

post results here.

Looks like i have a problem with this. I can see the dos screen briefly when i select and then it vanishes, any ideas please?

Could it be that i have not taken out my existing USB ADSL/Modem programme only deactivated it?

Looks like i have a problem with this. I can see the dos screen briefly when i select and then it vanishes, any ideas please?

Could it be that i have not taken out my existing USB ADSL/Modem programme only deactivated it?

You're doing it wrong.

In the run box type cmd

then in the black box that pops up, type ipconfig /all

You're doing it wrong.

In the run box type cmd

then in the black box that pops up, type ipconfig /all

Off topic but when I seen "You're doing it wrong." I just busted out laughing IRL. :D

post-158149-12644100060639_thumb.jpg

Thanks for pointing out my error in CMD.

This is a picture with my old ADSL modem operating, is this OK or do i need to do a shot with the new ADSL/router being used although i cannot connect to web?

post-158149-12644143402417_thumb.jpgpost-158149-12644143622734_thumb.jpg

First shot is with ADSL/router operating. phone line in router.(all lights on) but with ADSL/modem USB still plugged into computer.

Second shot is with ADSL/router operating(all lights on) but with ADSL/modem usb unplugged.

Status icon says connected.

post-158149-12644143402417_thumb.jpgpost-158149-12644143622734_thumb.jpg

First shot is with ADSL/router operating. phone line in router.(all lights on) but with ADSL/modem USB still plugged into computer.

Second shot is with ADSL/router operating(all lights on) but with ADSL/modem usb unplugged.

Status icon says connected.

You're connecting with a USB lead? What device do you have? I'm not sure what you're trying to do but it sounds like you're VERY confused.

So you connected this to another computer and it works? Then surely you're established its your NIC thats at fault...

Wait, what device do you have and how are you connecting it?...

Edited by TurboTuna

I have a new WAG160N and i am connecting it with an ethernet cable. My old unit was a USB modem. I do not k now what you mean with the initials NIC, where they can be found and how you can change it. Please explain in simple terms if possible. As i said yes the 160 works great on my netbook and another identical computer to mine, but on mine i cannot get to the http://192.168.1.1 neither does the login page come up.

I do not k now what you mean with the initials NIC

NIC stands for Network Interface Controller or Network Interface Card, depending on who you ask. It is the physical device in your computer that you would attach the ethernet cable to. Some are build into the motherboard, while others are separate devices that slide into expansion slots.

Please explain what is the difference between a network and an ethernet lead,surely its the same thing. Bearing in mind this set up works with my netbook and another computer identical to mine.

I'm going to take a stab that you're running windows XP, just plug your computer into the new Router via Ethernet and run the Windows Networking Setup Wizard.

• Like 1

Please explain what is the difference between a network and an ethernet lead,surely its the same thing. Bearing in mind this set up works with my netbook and another computer identical to mine.

they are the same thing.

I'll ask again

connect your router to your pc and run that command.

My posts at 11.20 yesterday show what i am getting, This is what i should be getting, it is ipconfig /all from my sons identical computer when i connect the router up to his computer

post-158149-12645059410058_thumb.gif

Sure thing.

post-158149-12645074827491_thumb.jpg

and when you run ipconfig /all just now you get it blank? (are u connected with the router +ethernet cable atm?)

Plug an Ethernet cable into your computer...

Go into device manager and uninstall any network devices..

go to the top of device manager and right click on the first icon...choose "scan for hardware changes"...