R/C Cars, MTs, Buggys, Truggies

well, who else is into r/c stuff here? I just purchased myself a Baja 5B about 2 weeks ago and have quite a few mods done to it already just for general bashing / racing my buddies.

here are some pictures of it when I first got it brand new:

100_2167.jpg

my baja 5b and my buddies Savage X 4.6:

100_2159.jpg

heres a video of us playing around a bit as well, 2nd tank of gas for me. It is a 23cc 2-stroke motor, and the savage runs off nitro. This is my first video, so pardon the radio blaring commercials in the background :rofl:

th_100_2133.jpg

Nice, I've always wanted a Baja. I used to race a lot but I've since become busy and broke and just haven't been able to do any RCing.

yeah they are quite expensive when you break parts on them....what kind of rc's do you race with when you are able? post some pictures up. :woot:

I used to race an original RC10, an original RC10T, a yokomo 4wd 1/10 electric buggy I can't remember the name of, and most recently an OFNA Ultra MBX Comp (which is probably the most durable buggy in existence). I have quite literally run in to and destroyed other rc cars before. The only thing that breaks on it is the bumper and the spur gear when I get a small rock stuck in it.

I would really love to get a Associated B44, just can't afford it for probably another year

I used to be heavy into this. My Dad owns two HobbyTown USA franchises. I raced carpet oval with a RC10L3 with a Terminator slider chassis for several years - went to the ROAR nationals one year as well.

Never really got into off-road that much though I have owned several off-road cars over the years (T-Maxx, RC10T, T3, Kyosho USA-1).

I used to be heavy into this. My Dad owns two HobbyTown USA franchises.

I live about 35 mins from one of those. I used to love going there when I was a kid! I had tons of RC cars, but they were just the average toy RC ones. VW Baja Beetle, a cool truck, etc. But I think I bought my peugeot 206 from hobby town. It was so fast compared to all of my others...

Good times.

im 100% offroad... rationale being that if it goes offroad, it can go onroad as well, but not vice versa

had a Mini LST, almost converted it into a crawler, but didnt have time to finish... im not into speed, more into the deep boonies , beating trails, out in the middle of nowhere kind of stuff .... havent been in touch with RC for over a year, hopefully getting back into it

i have been thinking of using somewhere like emachineshop.com to cut out custom parts, like shock towers and bumpers, but it gets abit costly for one-off pieces...

At the moment I have a XRAY M18T Pro that I have built and I am using for college (electronics student). It contains a Spektrum SR300 Reciever, Team Orion Vortex ESC + 6000kV Motor and a Hi-Tech Micro servo (forget which one). My battery has not arrived yet though so I am improvising a 11.1V 3S LiPo on it. I will post pics when I get home. :)

I used to race R/C cars a few years ago. I've still got them, but haven't dug them out in ages, which is a shame.

I've got two (one on-road and one off-road); a Thunder Tiger which once it was run in a few times, was brilliant; and some big buggy, which was annoying as hell and unreliable. The worst part about the buggy was that it was rear-wheel drive, so it was a complete pain in the arse to control, and half the time, it wouldn't even run, which was annoying when we went out to the local R/C club. Fortunately, my dad also has an off-road car of his own; an HPI Savage 25, which was almost as good as my Thunder Tiger in terms of reliability and ease of use. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was into RC long ago. Had a Tamiya Blackfoot, a Tamiya Grasshopper, and a Tamiya Hornet, with 2 channel Futaba radio gear. Nothing fancy, but it sure was a lot of fun. I never got into competition aside from racing friends in the street. Used to get most of my stuff from Tower Hobby.

Never had any gas powered toys, but I always wanted an airplane.

I was into RC long ago. Had a Tamiya Blackfoot, a Tamiya Grasshopper, and a Tamiya Hornet, with 2 channel Futaba radio gear. Nothing fancy, but it sure was a lot of fun. I never got into competition aside from racing friends in the street. Used to get most of my stuff from Tower Hobby.

Never had any gas powered toys, but I always wanted an airplane.

LOL! I have owned several Blackfoots and Grasshoppers (never did get the hornet though). The Grasshopper is still probably my favorite car of all time. I custom made a motor for it and kept the mechanical speed control. It was FAST, though the ceramic resistor got really hot. The body on that thing was pretty close to indestructable. It was actually a really great design (Tamiya still sometimes re-introduce these models because they're so loved), though the stock shocks were horrible bouncy things (that made it even more fun, lol).

I feel like buying another grasshopper and sticking in a brushless motor and lipo.

One of my best mates is really into RC's. His main car is the Baja SS, he's also got a SavageX 4.6 and a little Nitro Scooby.

We go out most weekends for a couple of hours (until something breaks) I really enjoy watching and having the occasional go, but I usually just tag along with my DSLR to get good action (air) shots and some vids.

I can't see myself buying one though, it seems he is forever fixing or upgrading parts, some of which seem to cost as much as "real" car parts!

That and the cleaning!

I'll post a few pics later when i get the chance.

$130 won't get you much and it almost definitely won't get you a Gas/Nitro powered one. I've probably spent well over a grand on mine between fixing and upgrading parts.

$130 won't get you much and it almost definitely won't get you a Gas/Nitro powered one. I've probably spent well over a grand on mine between fixing and upgrading parts.

yeah :( I found a electric ferrari enzo that went 23MPH(if I did my math right it was in FPS) but it was $100 so I decide not to, just got a new skateboard instead. will save for a RC

Honestly, 23mph is pretty slow. My friend's mini-t does close to 60 and it's 1/18th scale (aka very small). He's done a lot of modding to it, but really my point is 23 is pretty slow. For comparison, my 1/10 scale original rc/10 I have with an old brushed motor I custom made going about 40, my nitro 1/8 scale ofna does about 45.

At that price too you're looking at more Radio Shack toys than proper rc cars. The radio shack ones can be fun, but they're not nearly as fast or as precise as a good one. Of courseyou could go for something like the Tamiya Grasshopper that's cheap because they've basically just re-introduced it since it came out in '84. It costs them virtually nothing to make and they are very fun cars (I have owned 2 in my life). Don't be fooled, they're really old tech and definitely need an esc and motor upgrade, but they are probably the most fun car I have ever had

• 2 months later...

I run a few big nitros a Firestorm10t in me sig and a Hong Nor X1. Anyways did something 1:36scale recently so...

Heres a wee gallery of my Micro T build thru the various stages of its completion over about 2 months.

Full Aluminium parts from GPM/3Racing/Atomic. Tho Ive got a plastic servo saver in as my alumium one got a screw backed up in it and broke yesterday.

Carbon Fibre Chassis, Raminator wheels, Racing Bearing set. Brushless Motor, Losi Xcelorin 10k and a Losi servo taken from there receiver combo for 27mhz brushless people. I wouldnt recommend at all, the reciever anyways the servos great under 2.4ghz.

Ansmann 2.4ghz Micro Reciever.

Also did a custom paintjob with some left over Gun Metal spray and a set of Sharpie marker pens, will do till I can get a decent 1:32 model/shell somewhere.

Been a fun wee build and at times its drove me mad as this is my 1st leccy car. Main probs have been stripped diffs, buggered Xcelorins and at one point I accidently cut an ESC wire with scissors removing a cable tie. Doesnt help Im a big chap and this is a wee wee car.

Sorry for crapo quality pics :(

http://colicab.jalbum.net/Micro-T - More Images of the build.

• 2 weeks later...

I am into both off-road and on-road...

I don't have that body anymore. I have a new body and have not taken any pics of it yet. Probably post new pics in near future.

post-277494-12745845957907.jpg

This is my little backyard basher. Just got a brush less kit which is awesome, just need to get some better battery's and a new Steering Servo.

p2405101023small.jpg

p2405101116small.jpg

p240510111601small.jpg

This is my little backyard basher. Just got a brush less kit which is awesome, just need to get some better battery's and a new Steering Servo.

[snip]

Cool. Mine is brushless as well.

With some mates I got me wee 1/36th Micro T upto a pretty decent 28.7mph. Its capable of faster as the surface we ran on was a bit crummy (bricks layed as road). That and I wasnt using "road tyres" or suspension setup. Came back after 20mins of doing speed runs with a flat lipo and a completely stripped diff. Thing was toothless to say the least. Fitted a new one and locked it up with some locktite superglue which Im told flexes just enuff to hold the stress of 2s lipo on these wee diffs.

Wanna try the 3s lipo in it and try for the 45mph ish mark. But it requires some modelling putty to lock the diff and I got none of that :(

Seen folk get 50mph+ wih these wee cars but you need to strip it and lighten it up by using a combo of Alu and plastic parts. My cars full Alu so I aint doing any rebuilds for the sake of a few mph.