Question

I'm having a weird issue with my internet connection whenever ?Torrent is running. It runs fine, then suddenly, my entire connection slows down to a crawl (it's barely there), then it gradually goes back to normal after about a minute. And this just keeps repeating itself.

I looked through the settings a couple of days ago, and it turned out that I forgot to turn the encryption on, so I thought that was causing it. I turned it on, then everything was fine, but only for about five minutes.

Just to point out, it's only my computer that's affected when this happens; the other devices in the house all still have good connections.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Here's the settings I've got at the moment:

Global maximum number of connections: 100

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 50

Number of upload slots per torrent: 4

Maximum number of active torrents: 50

Maximum number of active downloads: 50

Thanks! :)

18 answers to this question

I'm having a weird issue with my internet connection whenever ?Torrent is running. It runs fine, then suddenly, my entire connection slows down to a crawl (it's barely there), then it gradually goes back to normal after about a minute. And this just keeps repeating itself.

I looked through the settings a couple of days ago, and it turned out that I forgot to turn the encryption on, so I thought that was causing it. I turned it on, then everything was fine, but only for about five minutes.

Just to point out, it's only my computer that's affected when this happens; the other devices in the house all still have good connections.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Here's the settings I've got at the moment:

Global maximum number of connections: 100

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 50

Number of upload slots per torrent: 4

Maximum number of active torrents: 50

Maximum number of active downloads: 50

Thanks! :)

I had this problem to the pre-pre-last beta version, it was just downloading one file at a time, for some reason and kept crashing my connection, just i had to reboot for connection to return, then the pre-last version just crashed my win7 ultimate 64bit out of nowhere... it just crashed randomly with BSOD, then i upgraded to the last one (25th, jan) and it works just fine ;) you should do the same

I had this problem to the pre-pre-last beta version, it was just downloading one file at a time, for some reason and kept crashing my connection, just i had to reboot for connection to return, then the pre-last version just crashed my win7 ultimate 64bit out of nowhere... it just crashed randomly with BSOD, then i upgraded to the last one (25th, jan) and it works just fine ;) you should do the same

Hmm, I'm not sure what version you're talking about. I'm running the current stable version; 1.8.5, and that was released on the 22nd.

I'm gonna upgrade to the 2.0 RC5 version to see if it'll fix the issues, and also what the next version looks like.

Do you have a router? Some budget routers can have problems with handling the amount of traffic bittorrent applications create. I used to have an old Belkin router that crashed frequently when I used utorrent.

Do you have a router? Some budget routers can have problems with handling the amount of traffic bittorrent applications create. I used to have an old Belkin router that crashed frequently when I used utorrent.

Yeah, I've got a D-Link DIR-615 router; it came with the Virgin Media 50Mb upgrade. I've had it for a couple of months now, and these problems have only started happening a few days ago.

Ahh, remembered something about the router. Another method I tried to fix the connection problem was to use OpenDNS on the router, but that was unsuccessful as well.

How many torrents do you actually have running at one time? 50 is a high maximum. Cause the more active torrents mean more open connections and many more tracker updates. Say you had 10 active torrents * 40 open connections, + those 10 torrents each with * 6 trackers = 460. That is a lot of potential open connections all at once just for 10 torrents. And that was not based upon the maximum either.

Just out of curiosity does it happen every time the trackers update?

How many torrents do you actually have running at one time? 50 is a high maximum. Cause the more active torrents mean more open connections and many more tracker updates. Say you had 10 active torrents * 40 open connections, + those 10 torrents each with * 6 trackers = 460. That is a lot of potential open connections all at once just for 10 torrents. And that was not based upon the maximum either.

Just out of curiosity does it happen every time the trackers update?

I did have around 40 torrents running simultaneously a couple of weeks ago, as I lost all my data due, so I was downloading everything again. I just turned the number of active torrents down to 20 and active downloads down to 15.

I tried manually updating the trackers of all four torrents currently running, but the speed didn't go down, but when I changed the active torrent settings, the speed went down again.

Hmm, I think the connection might have gone back to normal now. When the issue was happening, the download speed on ?Torrent was around 100KB/s, sometimes up to 200KB/s when it was running fine. I came home from college today, and it was going over 700KB/s. I'm still getting the usual ups and downs on the download speed, but at the moment, it hasn't gone below 500KB/s at all, and everything else on here has been running fine. :)

what is your upload speed?if it is too high that can cause it,try a value of 10 and see if that helps, also if you have a router do you have the ports being forwarded?

what is your upload speed?if it is too high that can cause it,try a value of 10 and see if that helps, also if you have a router do you have the ports being forwarded?

The upload speed is limited to 30KB/s, and I can still max out the download speed on that. And yes, all the required ports are forwarded, and I've double-checked it with the site they link to.

I got off the phone with Virgin Media earlier, and it seems that there is a fault in my area which is what's causing the connection problem, and it's been getting worse since last night. It seems that too much power is being transferred over to the modem which is causing the issues. They're sending an engineer to fix it, but unfortunately, the earliest they can get here is Tuesday. :(

your settings are way out of wack no matter if your having isp issues or not.

So you have 30KB upload limit -- spread that across 50 torrents.. Your not going to be uploading crap to nobody. Bad upload speeds to peers means they don't like you ;)

You have way to many active torrents to expect decent speeds on anything. And then you have your global limit set at 100, with 50 active torrents -- so you can have 2 peers per.. Like I said your not going to be downloading anything real fast that way.

Up your connection limit, and lower how many active torrents you can have to a few. You should be closer inline with the what the tool recommends vs those wacked out settings.

Example with a 512Kbit upload speed, which they set to more than your 30KB upload limit

post-14624-12648623882348_thumb.png

Well I never had problems with those settings before. In fact a couple of days ago, I was hitting over 3MB/s on that new Nine Inch Nails "This One Is On Us" torrent.

OK, I just ran the speed test in the setup guide of ?Torrent 2.0, and here's the result:

post-151617-12648630675872_thumb.jpg

It's a bit off, but it's nice to have this feature now.

And you had 49 other active torrents going all at the same time with a 30KB upload limit across 50 torrents, and a global connection limit of 100 across 50 torrents. Yeah I find hat a bit hard to believe ;)

Look at your settings -- and then look how the makers recommend, plus any guide you will read on maxing out torrent speeds and compare them to your setting.. Your setting don't make sense -- you have way to many active torrents for your upload speed and global connection limit.

edit: Abit off? ;) From your tests you only show 2.4MBps -- so pretty freaking amazing that you were getting 3MB on a torrent -- while at the same time downloading 49 others - hehehe

And you had 49 other active torrents going all at the same time with a 30KB upload limit across 50 torrents, and a global connection limit of 100 across 50 torrents. Yeah I find hat a bit hard to believe ;)

Well that's what I used; I've used those settings for a couple of years and they've worked fine. The problem I had before was fine-tuning the upload limit. I first had it at abour 10-15KB, but obviously, almost no one would see to me. But when I upped it to 30KB, it was all good; the perfect balance, not so much that it slows down the rest of my internet connection, but enough to satisfy other seeders.

But they make no sense what so ever.. Now sure the max torrents does not come into play unless you actually have that many active torrents.. So sure if your only doing a few torrents at a time then those setting would not come in to play.

But there is no possible way your going to run 50 active torrents with a 30KB upload limit and expect anyone to send to you, and with a 100 global connection limit across 50 torrents (2 connection each -- come on, that make any sense). As you said yourself you had to increase from 15 to 30.. Yeah with a "few" torrents that would be ok -- but not 50 ;)

Plus for your upload speed your 30KB is a bit low.. You should be able to send more than that without noticing for sure -- make your peers happier ;)

Yeah, I very very rarely have over 10 torrents running at the same time. I only had about 50 running recently because I lost everything I had downloaded due to an unexpected format, so I re-downloaded it all again.