+1 and/or -1

Positive/Negative Points  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish we could give a negative point for posts as well?

• Yes - both positive and negative
    • No - only positive
    • I don't think either should be allowed

This is in NO way trying to rant or go against our great admins here, but I was just wondering other's opinions on the +1 on the bottom right of each post.

I kind of like how youtube lets you give a thumb up or down to a post, and... well, just for curiousity, here's the poll.

Negative is more prone to abuse, and it can cause drama.

So I think that the "don't give anyone rep if you don't have any positive reason why" approach works well; people whose posts aren't valued get no rep points, bad posts get no rep points, but good, helpful and contributing posts get positive points.

No point in putting a negative option, you'll get the people who will rep down each post just because. There's more scope for proper use when you've only got a certain number of votes, and they can only be used positively.

The thing is everybody forgets that button is there, so even good helpful posts usually won't get a +

Yeah I still see a lot of people quote the post and add +1 in reply to it versus utilizing the reputation.

Negative votes will be pointless. I can see some sad people just scouring threads looking for things they don't agree on just to be spiteful! Hehe.

Yeah I still see a lot of people quote the post and add +1 in reply to it versus utilizing the reputation.

+1 doesn't necessarily mean the quoted post is a positive contribution to Neowin, worthy of a reputation point. It just means you agree with the poster's view. Or at least that's the difference I see between +1 and the reputation system :unsure:

Anyway, I would only like to see positive points given. Negative points can be abused.

If you have the ability to down rank youll tend to see people gang up on memebers who voice their opinions, whether their opinion is right or wrong doesnt matter but on those posts that person would get downranked into the core of the earth.

I voted + only

Having -1's on this forum simply wouldn't work, they're far to many haters which will gang up on people and just -1 them out of hate.

Would be a moderating nightmare.