[Review] Razer DeathAdder 2.13

*Note: The Original Razer DeathAdder 1.0 was reviewed on Neowin back in 2007. This new mouse is a revision and the old review is actually no longer available. (Links lead back to Neowin Home)

razer-deathadder.jpg

Today I purchased the Razer DeathAdder 2.13(Firmware) version of the Razer hardware line of gaming peripherals. This mouse is one of the most expensive mice I have ever bought $64.99 CAN (Yes I am cheap) and after using it now for at least 8 hours, I have to say, is one of the best investments I have ever made for my computer. Just to note, this is one of the more moderately priced Razer mice available, with some models such as the Mamba reaching $150 or more.

Now to the mouse itself and its propaganda. It is 3500 DPI wired mouse with a 3.5G infrared sensor and does 1000Hz Ultrapolling with 1ms response providing a 16-bit ultra-wide data path. These numbers other than the DPI mean nothing to me, nor do I care since I mainly just play some strategy games (World in Conflict) and spend most of my time either word processing or web surfing. When I got home I opened it. The package looked nice but like all of today?s packaging, it is a huge waste of paper and plastic. The mouse and all its contents probably took up 35% of the available space, but it was presented very well and opening it was a breeze. Similar to opening a game, no ripping through plastics or cutting necessary. The second thing I noticed is that a lot of documentation was provided. A quick start guide, a master manual, 2-3 ads, product catalogue and a pointless certification of authentic that reads like a gamer on crack wrote it. I then proceeded to remove the mouse itself.

sany0036z.jpg

The first thing I noticed on the actual mouse was its polyresin top that made it feel like rubber but be as sturdy as plastic. Only time will tell if this polyresin will fade away from use removing its intricate Razer logo design on top. The second thing that struck me was the connection cable. Just WOW! The cable is woven in a way resembling a shoe lace and is 3 times more flexible than it plastic covered competitors. Just this feature alone made the mouse seem as if it was individually made and quality was the companies #1 concern. The mouse then ended with a Gold-plated USB connector.

sany0037q.jpg

I then proceeded to plug the mouse into my last available rear USB slot. Windows 7 recognized it immediately as a generic mouse, and the 3500DPI capability was visible instantly as the curser glided across the screen by moving the mouse less than 2mm. I then proceeded online to get the driver. The mouse itself DOES NOT come with a driver disk. I found the driver easily through Google, downloaded it and installed it. This required a computer restart. Once restarted a launched the Mouse configuration software and it turns out that Windows automatically defaulted the mouse from 3500DPI to 1800DPI and 500Hz instead of 1000Hz. I quickly returned this to its maximum settings. This is when I started encountering some potential problems.

I have been using Flip3D since my Vista days and I find it much faster than Alt-Tab because all I had to do was click the scroll wheel and was good to go. The DeathAdder unfortunately does not recognize the Flip3D command and its configuration software didn?t list Flip3D in its available actions. Thinking that I had to set this up through the mouse settings in the Control Panel, I noticed that Windows Hardware didn?t even recognize my mouse. Still had itself set to the original Logitech mouse which had died the morning of and I found no way to get windows to switch its information to the DeathAdder.

Other than this, the mouse is better than I expected and worth the money. Though Flip3D and the potential polyresin fading problem in the future are in my opinion the drawbacks of the mouse, I have been convinced that Razer products are worth it, and tomorrow I am further upgrading my generic HP keyboard to the Razer Lycosa for $99. Happy Gaming!

Ive come to realize Razer is just a ripoff. I know two ppl that bought Mamba's(the supposed King), and after using my G500 and a G19 that another friend has they hate their mambas. Both have weird issues where their mice stop being responsive and the $20 packaging and over priced nature of the brand leaves them pretty unhappy.

I have no idea what problem your friends have Neoauld, but if they're using windows 7, the win 7 drivers still aren't great for the mamba. My friend has an issue where his mouse doesn't respond when either plugging in or unplugging the cable. He has to reset to fix it.

I've had my 3G deathadder for about a year and a half now, and I love it just as much now as I did when I bought it. I've had 0 issues with it, the polystyrene is holding up flawlessly (literally, no wear at all). Perfect tracking, even on my WoW mouse pad, which has caused other mice to jump around. The polystyrene covering on the G9 has worn really badly, but the deathadder has no blemishes.

I can not see the 3.5G disappointing you in the slightest titioist.

I have no idea what problem your friends have Neoauld, but if they're using windows 7, the win 7 drivers still aren't great for the mamba. My friend has an issue where his mouse doesn't respond when either plugging in or unplugging the cable. He has to reset to fix it.

I've had my 3G deathadder for about a year and a half now, and I love it just as much now as I did when I bought it. I've had 0 issues with it, the polystyrene is holding up flawlessly (literally, no wear at all). Perfect tracking, even on my WoW mouse pad, which has caused other mice to jump around. The polystyrene covering on the G9 has worn really badly, but the deathadder has no blemishes.

I can not see the 3.5G disappointing you in the slightest titioist.

Well, they run Vista still so its not a driver issue(i hope razer's up to vista at least)

Im not saying its a Bad mouse, cause everyones hand is different. I have logitech hands haha. But in terms of 'value', the G500 is more buttons, and all the same features and resolution as the mamba. Oh except for Dual modes(wireless/wired modes)..but ive heard the mama in wired mode is actually less responsive according to a couple review sites and one of my friends.

i love Razer products but I can agree that the Windows 7 64bit drivers are still kinda iffy right now, at least for the Razer Lycosa. Occasionally a random key won't work. Unplugging/plugging back in always works though.. It tends to happen after a few days of uptime so it's not that often.

I only have the Salmosa right now but have really been considering getting the Lachesis (lol it looks like a camel toe..) or the Imperator. The Mamba is really tempting to go back to wireless and I love that it's a charging base. I used to go through AA batteries like crazy with my older wireless kb/mouse.

Well, they run Vista still so its not a driver issue(i hope razer's up to vista at least)

Im not saying its a Bad mouse, cause everyones hand is different. I have logitech hands haha. But in terms of 'value', the G500 is more buttons, and all the same features and resolution as the mamba. Oh except for Dual modes(wireless/wired modes)..but ive heard the mama in wired mode is actually less responsive according to a couple review sites and one of my friends.

vista drivers are fine, they should have no issues with their mice

i love Razer products but I can agree that the Windows 7 64bit drivers are still kinda iffy right now, at least for the Razer Lycosa. Occasionally a random key won't work. Unplugging/plugging back in always works though.. It tends to happen after a few days of uptime so it's not that often.

I only have the Salmosa right now but have really been considering getting the Lachesis (lol it looks like a camel toe..) or the Imperator. The Mamba is really tempting to go back to wireless and I love that it's a charging base. I used to go through AA batteries like crazy with my older wireless kb/mouse.

I would not recommend the lachesis personally. I owned one for one day because half an hour after starting to use it my hand was cramping. Badly. I kept using it the rest of the night and my hand just felt worse and worse, so I exchanged it the next day for my deathadder, which I have loved ever since

I would not recommend the lachesis personally. I owned one for one day because half an hour after starting to use it my hand was cramping. Badly. I kept using it the rest of the night and my hand just felt worse and worse, so I exchanged it the next day for my deathadder, which I have loved ever since

What was it about the mouse that made your hand cramp up? I tend to claw grab the mmouse so the actual size of it or any curves probably wouldn't affect me too much.

What was it about the mouse that made your hand cramp up? I tend to claw grab the mmouse so the actual size of it or any curves probably wouldn't affect me too much.

well, I'm actually used to both the claw grab and reting my hand on the mouse, from using both laptop mice and desktop mice. The lachesis was too narrow to really be comfortable draping my hand over, and the sides were too slippery to claw it well, so I think I was squeezing the sides harder than I should have to in order to hold it in place, resulting in the strain. From a couple hours use that night my hand was actually sore for a few days afterwards. It was definitely not a pleasant feeling.

Maybe if you had quite small hands it would work for oyu, but that's really the only way I could see using the mouse.

well, I'm actually used to both the claw grab and reting my hand on the mouse, from using both laptop mice and desktop mice. The lachesis was too narrow to really be comfortable draping my hand over, and the sides were too slippery to claw it well, so I think I was squeezing the sides harder than I should have to in order to hold it in place, resulting in the strain. From a couple hours use that night my hand was actually sore for a few days afterwards. It was definitely not a pleasant feeling.

Maybe if you had quite small hands it would work for oyu, but that's really the only way I could see using the mouse.

No, I don't really have small hands. Worse case is that I don't like it and I just sell it off again :p. I do bounce between two mice too. The Salmosa on my desktop and then a little Microsoft 4000 Notebook one.

I usually never have hand cramps, if anything it's from the wrist but that's because I broke one of 'em last year and the other is just from poor sitting and letting my wrist sit on the edge of the desk with no cushioning D:

I'm leaning more towards the Imperator though.

I have this exact mouse, it is indeed great but one thing really ****ed me off. The back side button broke REALLY quickly. Its completely broken, It wont even push down at all.

ya, the imperator looks pretty sweet. I would actually pick one up if I could afford one.

I have this exact mouse, it is indeed great but one thing really ****ed me off. The back side button broke REALLY quickly. Its completely broken, It wont even push down at all.

I would contact them about an RMA.

• 1 month later...

I found this mouse to be awesome for me. In turns of grip I'm not a claw. I used both versions of the Logitech G5 and was pretty happy. Switched to the Razer Diamondback and was not into the feel and shape. With the Deathadder, the hump is similarly shaped to the g5 so I have been happy with this mouse ever since. I would recommend this mouse to G5 users who want to try out a Razer.

I love my DeathAdder. I bought the Mac version (1000dpi) and now use it on my PC. Its the best USB mouse I believe I've ever used, my fav wireless is still the MX1000 though.

Nice that you're happy^^ Also I'm sad about all the Mamba hate, I own one and can't complain I have no connections issues or whatsover and it feels perfect in my hand with absolute precision.

It had hiccups at the beginning but these were quickly solved with a firmware update :shiftyninja:

that would be the least of the lachesis's problems...?

http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,7405.0/

basically, it is unusable on anything other than a perfectly solid surface because the z-axis will be read as diagonal movement... and with 4000dpi, it really has to be perfectly solid... cloth starts becoming unusable at 500dpi, those flexible rubber pads stop being good at around 1000dpi, and hard plastic mats only work well up to 2000dpi... the only thing that holds up at 4000dpi is a glass mousepad, like the icemat?

trust me, i've tested all the stuff i mentioned...?

but it is one of the few high-grade ambidextrous mice out there, like alot of Razer's other mice