Building a Linux Gaming Rig

I know in the past it was mostly Linux that ran the servers that people played the games on- though There were a few games that I played on my Ubuntu-- Assault Cube was one that is a fast paced first person shooter.

People build rigs to game on Linux?

I was wondering the same thing, is this a new trend going on?

Yeah, the title certainly captures the attention! :laugh:

The only game I have played on Linux is WoW. It doesn't look or play exactly the same as Windows, but it's good enough. I think the only way to get attention from Windows users is to support gaming natively on Linux, but sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I have some games on my Linux machine, since my brother is a gamer I had to look up for a few so I'd avoid frequent restarts and dualboots when we're on a shared computer.

World of Goo would be my favorite, but it hardly requires a gaming rig, I had it running on some old computers. That and Performous/UltraStar Deluxe when I have friends over. We also had a few 'full', Windows games running without problems (The new Monkey Island series, XIII...).

• 3 months later...

What do you expect...

He wrath the specs on a paper and talking about the components based on marketing specs, just like professionals do o dedicated sites (not all of them but most - especially the big boys).I liked the part about those "special files" that are hidden somewhere in Windows and "if he finds those files (like he said)" games will run 100% on Linux. So stay tuned, so he can share the information about "those files" that Linux users can't find and guess that's why gaming is limited on Linux. :(

Damn Microsoft - hiding the gaming files... :angry:

Did he tried to spit the web-cam at the end? :huh:

thats like saying you are going to build a hackintosh for gaming!!!! :wacko::unsure::dontgetit::|

In all fairness, that's already starting to become a practical thing to do and in a year's time I can imagine that being a very viable path for gamers.

In all fairness, that's already starting to become a practical thing to do and in a year's time I can imagine that being a very viable path for gamers.

They need to get OSX 3D performance way up first though, like double what it is.

They need to get OSX 3D performance way up first though, like double what it is.

Not really. At least, I believe nobody buys a Mac for gaming... and if they want to game, they could always use Windows on Mac. Yet for the money you pay on a Mac, you could buy a custom build PC with extra raw power and Windows which shows real potential, so we're back to square one - as in, nobody buys a Mac with Gaming in Mind.

The only game I have played on Linux is WoW. It doesn't look or play exactly the same as Windows, but it's good enough. I think the only way to get attention from Windows users is to support gaming natively on Linux, but sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon.

No way in hell that I'd want to deal with Linux's audiostacks.

thats like saying you are going to build a hackintosh for gaming!!!! :wacko::unsure::dontgetit::|

Now that's funny

• 1 month later...

World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru HD, and Penumbra being the five I can name off the top of my head. All recently packaged in the Humble Indie Bundle.

None of which require a gaming computer. The most resource intensive is I think Lugaru HD.

• 4 months later...