UFC 114 - Evans vs Rampage

Ufc114-poster-2_medium.jpg

An anticipated matchup between former light heavyweight champions Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans is now official to headline UFC 114 on May 29 in Las Vegas.

UFC chairman Lorenzo Fertitta told Yahoo Sports that Jackson signed a contract for the fight on Friday in Australia, and both fighters have now formally agreed to the bout.

“Rampage” and Evans, opposing coaches on The Ultimate Fighter 10, had been set to settle their feud in December, but Jackson’s role in “The A-Team” and brief retirement which ended in December, postponed the fight.

Jackson (30-7), who lost the 205-pound title to Forrest Griffin in July 2008, is coming off back-to-back wins over Wanderlei Silva and Keith Jardine, while Evans (14-1-1) rebounded from a May loss to Lyoto Machida with a unanimous decision over Thiago Silva last month.

UFC 114, which airs live on pay-per-view from the MGM Grand Garden Arena and coincides with the second UFC Fan Expo, is also expected to include Forrest Griffin vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Amir Sadollah vs. Dong Hyun Kim.

Source

Edited by Rappy

• 1 month later...

Rampage hasn't fought in a while... this is going to be interesting. If it becomes a stand up brawl, Rampage wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Dan Henderson tried to get Rampage down to the ground in their fight and he had a pretty hard time of it. I'm not exactly sure Rashad will have an easy time getting this fight to the ground and I'm not sure that would be a wise move anyway. Jackson has shown his weakness against leg kicks and I wouldn't be surprised if Greg Jackson made a game plan around it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh my gosh, did that just happen?!

yeah that knock out came outta no where

bisping decision was a good one, well close anyways. could have been called either way every round but it did seem bisping had the edge.

yeah that knock out came outta no where

bisping decision was a good one, well close anyways. could have been called either way every round but it did seem bisping had the edge.

Aye, as much as I hate Bisping, he did win the fight.

Alright, I am going to call TKO by Rampage with 1:58 left in the second round. :p

Good call Rappy, btw.

Rashad has definitely earned my respect with this fight. He did exactly what he had to do, kept low, changed his stance, and kept Rampage on the ground.

nice work Evans, Rampage needs to think now what he wants whether he wants to act or fight.

Why? He's a fighter. Don't tell me that he had no chances to win.

Expect fight no. two, and I don't think we'll see Rampage getting taken down that often in that one. If anything, I'll expect a knockout by Rampage. Evans can't stand with Rampage, and Evan knows it.

Why? He's a fighter. Don't tell me that he had no chances to win.

Expect fight no. two, and I don't think we'll see Rampage getting taken down that often in that one. If anything, I'll expect a knockout by Rampage. Evans can't stand with Rampage, and Evan knows it.

and last time i checked this wasn't boxing, it was MMA and the ground game is 50 percent of that. And it's not like rampage didn't almost get knocked out in the first 10 seconds of the fight. Rampage was completely outclassed.

This isn't boxing, no. But we all know what happened last time when Evans didn't use his wrestling. He got put into dreamy land by Machida.

Rampage didn't get outclassed, that's just stupid. He lost, that's it, but I doubt it'll happen again. We all know that there's going to be fight no.2. Rampage isn't going to let this go. And I think that you missed the part where Evans also nearly got knocked out as well with Rampage landing bombs from above. Far more closer to stoppage than when Rampage got hooked.

Many of Evans recent fights are right borefests. He just lies on top of people with minimal action.

This isn't boxing, no. But we all know what happened last time when Evans didn't use his wrestling. He got put into dreamy land by Machida.

Rampage didn't get outclassed, that's just stupid. He lost, that's it, but I doubt it'll happen again. We all know that there's going to be fight no.2. Rampage isn't going to let this go. And I think that you missed the part where Evans also nearly got knocked out as well with Rampage landing bombs from above. Far more closer to stoppage than when Rampage got hooked.

Many of Evans recent fights are right borefests. He just lies on top of people with minimal action.

yeah he really did get outclassed, he had about 30 seconds of brilliance, that's it. And then when he had the change to finish it off, like an idiot he just sat there and let rashad recover. He was out of shape compared to rashad. The only thing rampage had on him was strength. Who cares if rampage doesn't let this go, rashad has a title shot coming up so it's going to be at least a while until a rematch happens. Rashad get's his title shot and rampage will have to fight someone else to get some momentum going. Rampage only really hit him once, if you look at the replay all his follow up punches after the knockdown barely hit or missed completely. Rampage did have him, but he just sat back and let rashad recover.

LAS VEGAS ? Following an event built on the duo's long-brewing feud, headliners Rashad Evans and Quinton Jackson appropriately earned the top salaries at this weekend's UFC 114 event.

Main-event winner Jackson earned $425,000 ($185,000 of which was a win bonus), and Evans earned $250,000. They accounted for 49 percent of the event's $1.371 million payroll.

UFC 114 took place May 29 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and aired on Spike TV and then pay-per-view.

Other top earners from the card include Michael Bisping ($190,000), Antonio Rogerio Nogueira ($120,000) and Dong Hyun Kim ($64,000)

The list of total paydays from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, as acquired by MMAFighting.com, include:

Rashad Evans: $435,000 (includes $185,000 win bonus)

def. Quinton Jackson: $250,000

Michael Bisping: $190,000 ($15,000 win bonus)

def. Dan Miller: $15,000

Mike Russow: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus)

def. Todd Duffee: $8,000

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $120,000 ($40,000 win bonus)

def. Jason Brilz: $11,000

John Hathaway: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus)

def. Diego Sanchez: $50,000

Dong Hyun Kim: $64,000 ($32,000 win bonus)

def. Amir Sadollah: $15,000

Efrain Escudero: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)

def. Dan Lauzon: $15,000

Melvin Guillard: $38,000 ($19,000 win bonus)

def. Waylon Lowe: $6,000

Cyrille Diabate: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)

def. Luiz Cane: $19,000

Aaron Riley: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Joe Brammer: $5,000

Ryan Jensen: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Jesse Forbes: $6,000

There's an error in the article, at first it says that Jackson won.

yeah he really did get outclassed, he had about 30 seconds of brilliance, that's it. And then when he had the change to finish it off, like an idiot he just sat there and let rashad recover. He was out of shape compared to rashad. The only thing rampage had on him was strength. Who cares if rampage doesn't let this go, rashad has a title shot coming up so it's going to be at least a while until a rematch happens. Rashad get's his title shot and rampage will have to fight someone else to get some momentum going. Rampage only really hit him once, if you look at the replay all his follow up punches after the knockdown barely hit or missed completely. Rampage did have him, but he just sat back and let rashad recover.

Where does it say that Rashad is going to get a title shot? Beating Silva in a borefest, and then Rampage in a borefest entitles him to a title shot?

Do Rogerio Noguerio v Evans, and then give the title shot to the winner. Atleast it'll be a bit interesting due to Nogueira's ground game.

Dude you are totally talking out of your ass..lol It's fine that you like rampage and were hoping he'd win, hell i thought rampage would win too, but to defend him like you are after this fight is just ridiculous. He DID get outclassed in every sense, Evans was faster, stronger, smarter.. rampage had one shining moment in the 3rd round and then screwed himself by letting Evans recover.

But to go as far as saying Evans recent fights have been boring.. are you f**king crazy? He KO'd Liddell, then TKO'd griffen, the fight with Machida was far from boring, and then he KO'd thiago silva.. wtf are you thinking? I mean maybe earlier in his carrier he was a bit lay and pray-ish.. but jesus, give the guy some credit, he's tearing people up in that division.

Where does it say that Rashad is going to get a title shot? Beating Silva in a borefest, and then Rampage in a borefest entitles him to a title shot?

Do Rogerio Noguerio v Evans, and then give the title shot to the winner. Atleast it'll be a bit interesting due to Nogueira's ground game.

Oh good lord.. just when i thought your comments couldn't get more insane..lol

Rashad certainly deserves a title shot, he has 1 ****ing loss man, and that was to Machida. How the hell can you put him up against little nog when nog got outclassed in his fight lastnight? It's a good thing you are not doing the matchmaking, you sound like you'd fit right in doing the judging.

im really sorry that you're hero/boyfriend got destroyed... i really am. But yeah, rashad is getting a title shot.

If anything it should be little nog vs rampage, two got who were completely outclassed in their last fights. Little nog got embarrassed last night. The fact he won was complete and utter bull****.

Dana White confirms light heavyweight title shot on the line for UFC 114 main event

by Steven Marrocco on May 18, 2010 at 7:55 pm ET

The feud between UFC 114 main event fighters Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Rashad Evans has a new wrinkle.

UFC president Dana White confirmed earlier talk that the winner of the May 29 grudge match will be the first to challenge the promotion's newly minted light heavyweight champion, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19195/dana-white-confirms-light-heavyweight-title-shot-on-the-line-for-ufc-114-main-event.mma