What are the chances ?

Ok, lets say a man has £5,000,000

Putting it all into 1 bank gives him the risk of losing it all if that bank collapses

So... He splits it into 2 banks, leaving £2,500,000 in each bank

My question is, has he really just given himself better odds on not losing the lot, or has he in fact just doubled the chances of losing half?

Each bank account he opens and moves some money into, is it giving him better and better chances of not losing all the money, or worse and worse chances of losing some money.

Or... Do the % of his chances stay the same ?

What is the better option...

lol

Its not a real man with a real amount or real banks, It was just something I was thinking about and it was screwing with my head. As the chances lessen for losing the lot, they also increase of losing some

So it messes with my head as to which is the better option

Ok, lets say a man has ?5,000,000

Putting it all into 1 bank gives him the risk of losing it all if that bank collapses

So... He splits it into 2 banks, leaving ?2,500,000 in each bank

My question is, has he really just given himself better odds on not losing the lot, or has he in fact just doubled the chances of losing half?

Each bank account he opens and moves some money into, is it giving him better and better chances of not losing all the money, or worse and worse chances of losing some money.

Or... Do the % of his chances stay the same ?

What is the better option...

If you don't have this kind of money then there is not much point worrying about this.!??! people who have that amount have way too much anyway.

I love crazy maths like this because it's way beyond what my mind can comprehend! :P

I sat here toying with it in my mind and now have a massive headache, what's your address so i can send you the paracetamol bill... you obviously have 5 million so you should be able to cover it :D:D:D

I love crazy maths like this because it's way beyond what my mind can comprehend! :p

I sat here toying with it in my mind and now have a massive headache, what's your address so i can send you the paracetamol bill... you obviously have 5 million so you should be able to cover it :D:D:D

haha, I wish, but you have the right math problem if its hurting your head, thats exactly what was / is happening to me when I try to work it out :laugh:

Get a 100 bank accounts with ?50,000 in each. Then your covered!

100 pin numbers to remember Ahhh lol

If you don't have this kind of money then there is not much point worrying about this.!??! people who have that amount have way too much anyway.

If I had that much money I deff wouldnt be worrying about this, but I like the problem, its mind boggling lol

I'd store all the cash in one high-interest account in a bank that's trusted and not likely to go bankrupt, i.e. HSBC, Deutsche Bank or BNP Paribas.

You'd earn more interest storing ?5 million inside one account, than ?500k in 10 accounts.

I don't know why you're beating your head up over this because BOTH statements are true. If they really are separate banks (remember a lot of banks own other banks) then splitting your money in half would both double the chance of losing half your money and it would double your chances of not losing all your money. It's the same way you're supposed to trade stocks. You're supposed to diversify your assets so you run a lower risk. The problem with that is though, if you have 10 different stocks and one of them shoots up, you make less money than if you only had 1 or 2 stocks and one shot up. The counter argument is though that you run a greater potential of having one of your stocks shoot up if you diversify. It all kind of goes in circles. If you want a lot of risk but the potential for a lot more gain, keep it in 1 or 2 stocks, if you want more security so you don't just end up losing all your money, invest in many.

Of course it's giving him a better chance of not losing ALL the money. But also a better chance of losing SOME money.

Right?

there are lots of variables here. nothing can be said accurately without knowing all details.

game theory. portfolio risk calculating. bla bla bla..:)

You know that really rich people do not keep their money in the bank. They have stocks and bonds and properties and companies and such. When they want cash they sell something.

banks are almost never allowed to go bankrupt, the government would arrange for a take over. plus, there are minimum insured amounts that you're guaranteed to recover. our insurance counts per-account type so it's definitely safer to split up your savings amongst many accounts to maximize the amount insured. it might be different in your country.