Cannot access disk properties in W2K

I had a two-computer home network working fine, both running W2K, using a DSL router. Worked fine. Now, LAN networking doesn't work. TCPIP works fine, NETBIOS name resolution doesn't. I can use PCAnywhere connecting to the IP, but not the NETBIOS name anymore. That would be a very general problem, but in troubleshooting, I noticed the following problem on only the main computer.

In Windows Explorer and in Drag'n'File, when I select any disk drive, right click, and try to select Properties, nothing happens. The secondary computer works fine that way. However, when I open Computer Management, I can control the Shares with System Tools - Shared Folders - Shares. I can then right click on any Share, select Properties, and the correct dialog box does come up.

I can access Services from the Admin Tools menu easily, but if I try to access Services and Applications from the Computer Management window, I get an hourglass instead of a list of services. I can still see them using Task Manager.

Any suggestions for re-establishing networking and normal access to disk properties?

• 4 weeks later...

Duh, hey, I knew, that, just checking to see if you were on the ball :D

Try enabling it then, I've seen oddball problems because the guest account was disabled - for example you can't connect to shares over a network as a result. Seems to be a shortcoming in Win2k's design. And an easy thing to change too, as a possible solution.