Hotspot shield safe to use? Any experience?!

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have you used Hotspot Shield before?

• Yes, it is awesome!
    • Yes, but I don't like
    • No. I'm not gonna!
    • Blah >.< no idea! :D

hey, while I was surfing the web, I've found one free vpn by name AnchorFree Hotspot Shield and if you go to 'news' section, you can see many biggggggggggggg guns recommending that software. http://www.anchorfree.com/news-events/

PC World has also reviewed good. Read here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71209-order,1-page,1/description.html

My experience? Here ya go! Just installed a day before and it was trouble free (use Adblock Plus and No Script to get rid of ads) and it didn't slow down the connection. But after a day, I had few problems. At first, web pages didn't open. When I placed cursor on the network icon (which is in the system tray) I was shocked! Sent: 0 bytes, received: 0 bytes! Clicking it to view didn't work. System froze suddenly. I was forced to remove my data card. Like that, it happened for few times. After ending 'networks' (?!) with the help of task manager, I was able to bring my computer to normalcy. Till now, it is connecting as usual: good! Scanned with my Avira Premium Security Suite and it didn't detect anything bad.

But is it safe to use? What do you think?

Note: I'm not using for any illegal purposes. Just to add extra protection as it encrypts data. Can I log into my email account etc while using it? Safe to use?!

Thank you! :)

Got to wonder about these 1 post wonders.. Posting the exact same thing on multiple boards.

Same exact post here

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f50/hotspot-shield-safe-use-any-experience-226672/

Are they actually interested with valid questions - or just hawking the wares for the vendor? Or the review site, etc.

Got to wonder about these 1 post wonders.. Posting the exact same thing on multiple boards.

Same exact post here

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f50/hotspot-shield-safe-use-any-experience-226672/

Are they actually interested with valid questions - or just hawking the wares for the vendor? Or the review site, etc.

Come on, why am I posting on different sites? To get the response I want. If you post in a single forum, you'd get a single reply or you may not get at all. Go search "the exact same thing on multiple boards" You will understand. If you are thirsty, will you wait for a week or so and drink?! Well, you can also wait for a week and search if you want. Didn't you see many orphan questions on many boards striving to get a single helpful reply? Because of the density of questions, many usually get skipped. I was using Yahoo! Answers before. I didn't use forums like this. Since I didn't get what I expected, I've decided to use forums and this is my first question. You can see many questions deleted because of not even getting a single reply even on Yahoo! Answers. Even if you get a reply, if it doesn't help, what is the use of posting?! I want a reply from a person who has used/who knew it decently to answer so that his/her helps me. So, what's wrong with this?! I don't think so. Thank you.

"Got to wonder about these 1 post wonders." who said I wouldn't post further? Ain't I replying you? Ain't I questioning you? Am I a '1 post wonder' now? Ain't I a 'Neowinian' now?!

"Are they actually interested with valid questions - or just hawking the wares for the vendor? Or the review site, etc. " Since I'm not such [censored], sorry. I can't reply you. Just now saw your forums for the first time and I've asked my virgin question. What the heck can you expect from a user who has just registered?! I'm here to ask and not to answer. Whenever I have questions, I'll ask. That's all. Your reply is ridiculous.

Hello,

I downloaded the installation package from the PC World download link and uploaded it to VirusTotal for analysis. The report can be found here.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

I downloaded the installation package from the PC World download link and uploaded it to VirusTotal for analysis. The report can be found here.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I myself have uploaded before even opening the installer. Cheers! :) Here is another result from virusscan.jotti.org: http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/dee461bc774b1571d6ca19c3b99ff8f0c0f3c0c2/1b73195cbdb4b30d6aadad8f385283273ba1576c

But I'm using the latest version (1.37) which is not present in PC World. NOD32 detects it as Win32/Adware.AnchorFree but not in 1.34?

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/81f9acd292ff2c4079318a528687fbe212a3d4c7/91da89653024b720742f3ba029d2d31b718e4bf9

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/dd955e66ca68f0ea4b24c9146c7d997ff3fbd5c5e323a68db21476117dd1d970-1267650837

<Snipped>

I just want the answer to " Hotspot shield safe to use?" And I'm not new to security related stuffs. :)

Regards,

Wascawwy Wabbit! :p

Edited by Anaron

I use to use it then it stopped working for me for some reason it kept saying VPN error and I couldnt fix it. so I stopped. cool application though. good to watch Hulu or sites that doesnt allow your country to view.

Hello,

Here's another scan I did of the application from OPSWAT's Filterbit: http://www.filterbit.com/results.cgi?uid=0s71a5xcltvaweyyaknmihod3q8e0ygb

I found a message thread discussing the software here on ESET's support forum.

Probably the best thing to do is make a complete backup of your system (or two) and then try out the program to see if it meets your needs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Well, adblocking tip '<Snipped>' ?! :D Yeah, I think I forgot this pic before posting: https://www.neowin.net/images/header_promos/1265109462.png

UPDATE: I think it is not a 'hotspot shield problem' because I can use my PPPOE connection without any problem. When I reinstalled the application, the connection (data card's) is worry free till now fortunately. So, the question is as follows:

hey, while I was surfing the web, I've found one free vpn by name AnchorFree Hotspot Shield and if you go to 'news' section, you can see many biggggggggggggg guns recommending that software. http://www.anchorfree.com/news-events/

PC World has also reviewed good. Read here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71209-order,1-page,1/description.html

But is it safe to use? What do you think?

Note: I'm not using for any illegal purposes. Just to add extra protection as it encrypts data. Can I log into my email account etc while using it? Safe to use?!

Thank you! :)"

And this portion: "But after a day, I had few problems. At first, web pages didn't open. When I placed cursor on the network icon (which is in the system tray) I was shocked! Sent: 0 bytes, received: 0 bytes! Clicking it to view didn't work. System froze suddenly. I was forced to remove my data card. Like that, it happened for few times. After ending 'networks' (?!) with the help of task manager, I was able to bring my computer to normalcy. Till now, it is connecting as usual: good! Scanned with my Avira Premium Security Suite and it didn't detect anything bad." is not needed I think. But I can't '<snip>' like Anaron because I'm not a Mod! :D

I use to use it then it stopped working for me for some reason it kept saying VPN error and I couldnt fix it. so I stopped. cool application though. good to watch Hulu or sites that doesnt allow your country to view.

Oh! Unfortunately closed the window which I was typing instead of another windows. :( Need to retype. But was busy and so I'm gonna reply now!

"I use to use it then it stopped working for me for some reason it kept saying VPN error and I couldnt fix it. so I stopped."Did you try the latest version?!

" cool application though." that's what I think!

"good to watch Hulu or sites that doesnt allow your country to view." Basically, I'm thinking to use "Just to add extra protection as it encrypts data. Can I log into my email account etc while using it? Safe to use?!" because I thought it encrypts data. From it's website: http://hotspotshield.com/download/afrb/AnchorFree-Hotspot-Shield-One-Page-Sell-Sheet.pdf "Auto encrypts and protects inbound / outbound Internet traffic (EMAIL, instant messaging, VOIP calls, WEB SURFING, etc.) as it's transmitted thru the air" Hey, wi-fi is okay, what about others? Does it encrypt 'em too?! I don't want hackers to steal my personal information. E.g. Yahoo! Mail encrypts only log in/log out pages. Inbox etc. are not encrypted unlike Gmail. I don't like clients. Tried JAP before using Hotspot Sheild. But I couldn't stop belly laughing. My connection gives downloads at a 130-150 kBps but i get 6 kBps?! o_0 wow! :D

Think you've used hotspot shield waaaaaaaaaaay before because Hulu is blocking it nowadays. Read: http://techcrunch.com/2009/05/06/control-freaks-hulu-now-blocks-anonymous-proxies-too/ But some say they can see at times... hmmm

Hello,

Here's another scan I did of the application from OPSWAT's Filterbit: http://www.filterbit.com/results.cgi?uid=0s71a5xcltvaweyyaknmihod3q8e0ygb

I found a message thread discussing the software here on ESET's support forum.

Probably the best thing to do is make a complete backup of your system (or two) and then try out the program to see if it meets your needs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Virustotal uses 41, Jotti uses 20, Filterbit uses 10?! Well, scanners like these use the same version with latest database, don't they?

"I found a message thread discussing the software here on ESET's support forum." Saw that already and so i added now <snipped> thing to prevent ads.

"You can actually submit it to us as a false positive. Follow the kb article below for instructions. " but continues still? Why don't they detect 1.34 as an adware? o_0

"Probably the best thing to do is make a complete backup of your system (or two) and then try out the program to see if it meets your needs." It helps and didn't do anything bad. But is it safe? That's what I want to. :)

Regards,

I Read the AnchorFree Privacy Policy, and just the typical - share non-personally identifiable information with 3rd parties for advertising. But why trust Anchorfree with your information when you can setup your own VPN Server, one such alternative is Hamachi (free personal use).

The distinction I make is that you can do everything Hotspot Shield does, without the advertisements and without relying on someone else to keep your internet sessions safe - FREE too.

Hotspot Shield will use Anchorfree's servers to host the VPN thus trusting them to secure your data, Hamachi will require you to setup your own VPN Server thus depending on yourself to keep the host server secure. In both applications, your client system will be your own responsibility to maintain integrity, but controlling your own host can ensure your privacy better than putting it into someone else's hands.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

I Read the AnchorFree Privacy Policy, and just the typical - share non-personally identifiable information with 3rd parties for advertising. But why trust Anchorfree with your information when you can setup your own VPN Server, one such alternative is Hamachi (free personal use).

The distinction I make is that you can do everything Hotspot Shield does, without the advertisements and without relying on someone else to keep your internet sessions safe - FREE too.

Hotspot Shield will use Anchorfree's servers to host the VPN thus trusting them to secure your data, Hamachi will require you to setup your own VPN Server thus depending on yourself to keep the host server secure. In both applications, your client system will be your own responsibility to maintain integrity, but controlling your own host can ensure your privacy better than putting it into someone else's hands.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

Well, I don't know more about Hamachi. Can I surf internet by using Hamachi's IP (something like 5.**.**.**) just like Hotspot Shield?! When I tried, I couldn't!

But one thing is for sure. You Neowin guys are very much good and I just love this forum! :) Keep up the good work guys!

Why not use the Polls? It is like an orphan... VOTE!

Hey guys, what's up? Didn't reply?! Was using CoDeeN before. They log everything. Remember the warning?! "For security reasons, we closely monitor all the activities through CoDeeN and log all the requests, and IN CASE OF ABUSE THESE MAY BE USED AS EVIDENCE IN POLICE INVESTIGATION." Yeah, but I don't care because I don't use for illegal purposes. Just to boost my security. But when I tried Hotspot Shield, I was satisfied. What about Hamachi?!

It doesn't come down to the software in itself, the software could be as clean as any other software. But it comes down to something else: the service.

All the traffic between your box and the AnchroFree's servers is encrypted and secured, but once it reaches those servers, it becomes THEIR OWN data. So, the questions here are:

Do you trust the people who maintain those servers, who are they, what sort of data do they store, how much do they store, for how long, what kind of data mining voodoo are they doing up there... etc. etc. especially that it's a FREE service, which makes things look fishy. Despite the tempting Privacy Policy they have, a thorough background check on the people behind the service is a must to make sure you're handing over EVERYTHING to the right people.

On a side note, there was a similar service (with their own clean sofwtare) that was revealed to be financially backed by a former employee of an intelligence agency, you can see where this is going.

It doesn't come down to the software in itself, the software could be as clean as any other software. But it comes down to something else: the service.

All the traffic between your box and the AnchroFree's servers is encrypted and secured, but once it reaches those servers, it becomes THEIR OWN data. So, the questions here are:

Do you trust the people who maintain those servers, who are they, what sort of data do they store, how much do they store, for how long, what kind of data mining voodoo are they doing up there... etc. etc. especially that it's a FREE service, which makes things look fishy. Despite the tempting Privacy Policy they have, a thorough background check on the people behind the service is a must to make sure you're handing over EVERYTHING to the right people.

On a side note, there was a similar service (with their own clean sofwtare) that was revealed to be financially backed by a former employee of an intelligence agency, you can see where this is going.

"It doesn't come down to the software in itself, the software could be as clean as any other software. But it comes down to something else: the service." "Despite the tempting Privacy Policy they have, a thorough background check on the people behind the service is a must to make sure you're handing over EVERYTHING to the right people." "but once it reaches those servers, it becomes THEIR OWN data." That's why I'm asking. That's why I didn't keep quiet by just scanning the software.

"especially that it's a FREE service, which makes things look fishy." No! Hotspot Shield is a COMMERCIAL FREEWARE. It does get revenue via ads. I know, ultra surf is a malware, Tor is a blah and has multiple issues. that's why I've selected CoDeen before. Safe and secure proxy service. Come on, not all freewares are bad. There are MANY freewares that excel more than the paid ones out there. One example is Avast. (Well, Avira free doesn't have web protection, email scanning (which is of no use if you don't use clients) Why not use Avast and disable the av and as shields?!) Avast's free version does decrease the demand for it''s paid versions to a great extent. But Avast is not worrying and infact, it is proud because of it's free product.

From Avast!'s blog: "Avast! Free Antivirus. This is our new flagship product and replaces Avast Home Edition (we changed the name to emphasize the product is free). We focus this product on users that use the internet for web browsing and email. If that is what you do on the internet, this is the product you need. We are very proud of this product and we stack it up against anyone else’s paid antivirus—in fact, we have recently started submitting this product in lieu of our paid products to all of the industry standard tests. Virus Bulletin, one of the most respected journals, recently called this product “….nothing short of a miracle” ..."

What about another best freeware, Comodo Firewall?! I love it's defense+ = very very very handy. Open Office replaced MS Office. I can list many and many like this! Come on, open source (at least... freeware) is the future.

"On a side note, there was a similar service (with their own clean sofwtare) that was revealed to be financially backed by a former employee of an intelligence agency, you can see where this is going." Do you mean JAP? Have seen something like this on Wilders before. But I don't bother as long as they don't steal/misuse/hack/sell my personal information (including hackers and other hats) Why should I worry if I'm not doing illegal stuffs?!

Hey, what about Hamachi? Didn't reply? Can I use Hamachi's IP to surf instead of my original IP?! DO REPLY GUYS! :)

MiTM ftw.

This does not sound like fun.

man-in-the-middle?! Any proof? How do you know?! o_0 I know, Tor is vulnerable to MITM attcks. Link: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001321.html and here: http://www.teamfurry.com/wordpress/2007/11/20/tor-exit-node-doing-mitm-attacks You can see a fistful of other blahs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_proxy#weakness

WHAT ABOUT HAMACHI?! I'M ASKING FOR THE THIRD TIME! DO REPLY AT LEAST NOW! :)

never used Hamachi ... so no idea ... if you really want a free VPN without those ads ... try UltraVPN ... it would encrypt your data and change your ip while browsing...best of all it's FREE! :yes:

Virustotal uses 41, Jotti uses 20, Filterbit uses 10?! Well, scanners like these use the same version with latest database, don't they?

"I found a message thread discussing the software here on ESET's support forum." Saw that already and so i added now <snipped> thing to prevent ads.

"You can actually submit it to us as a false positive. Follow the kb article below for instructions. " but continues still? Why don't they detect 1.34 as an adware? o_0

"Probably the best thing to do is make a complete backup of your system (or two) and then try out the program to see if it meets your needs." It helps and didn't do anything bad. But is it safe? That's what I want to. :)

Regards,

I work for Anchorfree - makers of hotspot shield. We have recently discovered that EST NOD 32 is deleting openvpn.exe file from our version 1.37. There was a script in our code which was mistaken as a form of malware, but we have fixed it. The new version 1.40 is due to come out in a few days and it will work fine with ESET Nod 32.

If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to email me - art@anchorfree.com. Glad to know that you were able to figure out the issue. Seven million people in over 100 countries use our free software every month. It is safe and secure :).

• 5 months later...

I work for Anchorfree - makers of hotspot shield. We have recently discovered that EST NOD 32 is deleting openvpn.exe file from our version 1.37. There was a script in our code which was mistaken as a form of malware, but we have fixed it. The new version 1.40 is due to come out in a few days and it will work fine with ESET Nod 32.

If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to email me - art@anchorfree.com. Glad to know that you were able to figure out the issue. Seven million people in over 100 countries use our free software every month. It is safe and secure :).

hmmmm finally... An anchorfree staff has answered!! ;) having hots and lots of trouble in windows 7... xp is trouble free... :)