41-year-old boxing champ James Toney signs for UFC

jamestoney.jpg

Sometimes trash talkers get what they want.

After berating UFC president Dana White on several media outlets in recent months, 41-year-old boxing champion James Toney (72-6 Boxing, 0-0 MMA) has reportedly signed a multi-fight agreement with the Las Vegas-based promotion.

The report was issued Tuesday by FiveOuncesOfPain.com citing sources close to negotiations, and MMAFighting.com's Mike Chiappetta has since confirmed the deal after speaking to White.

Toney, the current NABO and IBA heavyweight champion, pitched himself to White before cameras following UFC 108 in January and afterward blasted the UFC president for what he considered a "laughable" offer to fight in the octagon.

Ever since, Toney has taken every opportunity to challenge White for a contract.

"Dana White is a straight up ho!" Toney told Fighthype.com this past week. "He makes me a five-fight offer for chump change and said I can't box anymore if I accept it. He must have lost his damn mind."

It appears talks have brightened considerably since then.

At least one UFC fighter will welcome Toney into the cage.

"I think a lot of people would pay to see that," UFC heavyweight contender and "The Ultimate Fighter 10" winner Roy Nelson recently told Steve Cofield of Yahoo! Sports.

A timetable for Toney's debut is unknown at the time of this writing. Requests to the UFC for comment by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) were not immediately answered.

The 41-year-old Toney's most recent fight was this past September when he defeated Matthew Greer by TKO in a boxing match. Prior to that, he defeated Fres Oquendo for the vacant NABO and IBA heavyweight belts.

Source

:unsure:

Roy Nelson is only happy because it's a guy in his weightclass that he can win against.

Dana White should get Fedor next. He must be bored out of his mind in Strikeforce. Rogers loses to Fedor and goes on to have a title fight? :rofl:

Calls Out Lesnar!

According to a press release from HDNet, boxing champion turned mixed martial artist James ?Lights Out? Toney (0-0-0) will appear on tonight?s episode of the network?s popular ?Inside MMA? news program and calls out current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1-0), declaring:

?I want Brock Lesnar. I?m the heavyweight champion of the world vs. the UFC champion. That?d be a hell of a match? I?ll fight anybody you got.?

Toney has been turning up the volume since signing with UFC a few weeks ago, and is apparently so confident in his abilities as a fighter that he believes himself worthy of an immediate title shot against the hulking Lesnar. Ignoring Toney?s non-existent MMA resume, he naturally fights around 210 lbs. which would put him at a severe disadvantage were he to step inside the octagon against any top UFC heavyweight, never mind Lesnar who tends to show up well north of 280lbs. on fight night.

He's gonna get stomped if he faces Lesnar this soon in his career.

And it would be awesome. PPV sales would go up, UFC would be happy. Toney then would jump to Strikeforce in order to battle Fedor :rofl:

And it would be awesome. PPV sales would go up, UFC would be happy. Toney then would jump to Strikeforce in order to battle Fedor :rofl:

Fedor will probably be retired by then he just wouldn't care :laugh:

All that trash talk until he is in the ring fighting a style he's probably got no experience in... Should be very entertaining to see his attitude in the future.