Turning a WRT54G2 v1.5 into a repeater

Hello Neowin!

I kind of need help here. I have a WRT160N as my main router and a WRT54G2 as a spare router. I've looked around and DD-WRT and Tomato do not support the WRT54G2 v1.5.

All I really need is to make it so it can repeat a signal for me, that simple. The WRT160N is to far away to run a line to so no one suggest that please. If anyone has a solution for me, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Well if does not support 3rd party firmware, and the native firmware does not support repeater mode, then your out of luck.

edit: I fail to understand why people continue to buy hardware that does not support they common features.. Sell that junk on ebay to some other sucker and and buy a router that either supports the features you want natively - or purchase a router that supports 3rd party.

• Like 2

Well if does not support 3rd party firmware, and the native firmware does not support repeater mode, then your out of luck.

edit: I fail to understand why people continue to buy hardware that does not support they common features.. Sell that junk on ebay to some other sucker and and buy a router that either supports the features you want natively - or purchase a router that supports 3rd party.

For the record, it was the router Comcast gave me and I upgraded that piece of junk to a WRT160N. I'll likely just buy another and turn that into a repeater.

Thanks anyways.

So you got it in some promotion they were doing when you signed up or something? Not even worth using when you get it for FREE ;) hehehehe

So you got it in some promotion they were doing when you signed up or something? Not even worth using when you get it for FREE ;) hehehehe

Comcast was trying out different router models in my area (as opposed to other areas that only offer one specific model) and that was the best of the 3 they were offering. I went to Bestbuy and bought myself a WRT160N which is all I really needed. Was hoping to get 'some' use out of the WRT54G2.

Well if you could wire it you could use it as just an accesspoint to extend your wireless coverage - but until it gets 3rd party support (if it does) advanced features prob out of the question.. I don't recall linksys ever really adding features to their firmware - mostly only bug fixes, etc. and as soon as next model comes out they pretty much never update past products firmware unless its a major bug ;)

Your best bet would prob get a few dollars for it - and then put that towards some hardware you can use 3rd party on.

Well I went out and purchased a second WRT160N v3 and installed DD-WRT onto it (the main router is staying default linksys firmware for now though).

To give you a basic (Very basic) idea of the main router..

Model: WRT160N v3

Security: WPA2 AES

-

Now I would prefer both the repeater and the main router to keep Security on them. If you could provide simple step-by-step instructions, that'd be most helpful. I tried instructions I found online but generally when I connected to my 'repeater' it was throwing DNS errors.

Well you prob did it wrong then ;) Are you looking to setup repeater more or WDS

http://www.dd-wrt.co..._router_network

Would the main router having WPA2 Personal as security cause any issues?

I want a repeater, my goal is to get the signal further into my house so I may enjoy the sweet bliss of WiFi in my room.

WDS does the same thing as repeater mode -- the accesspoints are tied together wireless to give you larger coverage area. And yes check the forums on the dd-wrt site there might be some issues with wpa2??

Also -- just get rid of the native firmware to be honest.. There is no point to keeping it on your device -- prob what is causing you your problem ;)