I'm doing a survey about gays

202 members have voted

1. 1. School Survey

• Yes, the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media.
    • No, the public opinion about homosexuals has not been affected by the media.
    • Yes, single parents should be allowed to adopt.
    • No, single parents should not be allowed to adopt.
    • Yes, gay couples should be allowed to adopt.
    • No, gay couples should not be allowed to adopt.
    • Yes, gay marriage should be allowed in the US.
    • No, gay marriage should not be allowed in the US.
    • Yes, family traditions and values are disappearing.
    • No, family traditions and values are not disappearing.
    • Yes, a man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives.
    • No, a man marrying another man is not better than man marrying two wives.
  2. 2. General Question

• Being homosexual is fine by me (was: Gay is Good)
    • I do not condone homosexual behaviour (was: Gay is Bad)
    • I am not sure

* the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. - i guess

* single parents should be allowed to adopt. - Yes if they can support the child

* gay couples should be allowed to adopt. - Hell yeah

* gay marriage should be allowed in the US. - HELL YEAH!

* family traditions and values are disapearing. - yup

* man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. - meh

1.the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. -YES

2.single parents should be allowed to adopt. -NO

3.gay couples should be allowed to adopt. -NO

4.gay marriage should be allowed in the US. - NO

5.family traditions and values are disapearing. -YES

6.man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. -BOTH ARE WRONG

1. the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. Major yes. They try and make it seem cool and generally accepted. It isn't and the public is getting tired of hearing this.

2. single parents should be allowed to adopt. If they can afford it and look after the child then yes.

3. gay couples should be allowed to adopt. No. First off, the kid will be scared for life by relentless bullying from other kids. Honestly, at school we used to tease/pay each other about having two dads as a joke. If it were true...the kid with have a major breakdown

4. gay marriage should be allowed in the US. No and no to anywhere else in the world. Marriage can be defined as a union of love but reality people, it's really meant for males and females who are in love with each other

5. family traditions and values are disappearing. Yes, big yes. Not because of gays though, mainly due to work. Parents are less able to spend time with their kids, instead send them to childcare. If the child goes/attends school, then it's okay if it's "after school care"

6. man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. No. Both of them are a no from me though.

I'm not against homosexuals per say. I just think they should keep quiet about their homosexuality and not try and publicize it.

Basically the same as this

4. gay marriage should be allowed in the US. No and no to anywhere else in the world. Marriage can be defined as a union of love but reality people, it's really meant for males and females who are in love with each other

I'm not against homosexuals per say. I just think they should keep quiet about their homosexuality and not try and publicize it.

If you were told you were less than someone else you would probably be fighting for your rights too. In this case is our sexuality... how do you want us to fight it? Gay people fall in love to... reality!

* the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. YES... stereotypes!

* single parents should be allowed to adopt. YES

* gay couples should be allowed to adopt. YES

* gay marriage should be allowed in the US. DUH

* family traditions and values are disapearing. NO

* man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. NO

You should've added a what's your age question...

1. the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media.
  2. single parents should be allowed to adopt.
  3. gay couples should be allowed to adopt.
  4. gay marriage should be allowed in the US.
  5. family traditions and values are disapearing.
  6. man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives.

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5. Yes
  6. No

a lot on very interesting opinions :) ... thank you guys

thanks to you (+ people in trader joe's + students in campus) the teacher liked the survey :)

according to this survey and the other students' surveys, the US is kinda very liberal, while countries like china and the middle east are very conservative...

I think being in between is the best thing, don't go around killing gays, but don't make being gay sound like a cool thing!

It's all Yes/No questions.

None of these are Yes or No questions. Let's clear that up first.

The public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media.

At the end of the day people have to make their own opinions. Sure some may choose to believe what someone else tells them to but the media only has as much control as people let them have. Collectively, I would say that society is becoming less ignorant and more accepting of homosexuals than they were previously. And some who disagree with it for whatever reason are at least respectful of their opinion. There is still a long way to go in some parts of the world.

Single parents should be allowed to adopt.

Any parent should be able to adopt but only if they are determined to be capable of providing a stable and loving environment for the child(dren) to be raised in. The qualifications should not take into consideration marital status, religious belief, disability, political affiliation, sex, race, or sexual orientation, as these have absolutely no bearing on the worthiness of a person to provide a stable and loving environment for their child(ren).

Gay couples should be allowed to adopt.

See answer above.

Gay marriage should be allowed in the US.

Marriage has two definitions, one legal and one religious. It is up to religious authorities to interpret their own definition of marriage and the legal system has no bearing on that. However, marriage under the law should have no religious influence. As with adoption it is a right that should be available to any two consenting adults or minors with parental permission. Again, the people's religious belief, disability, political affiliation, sex, race, or sexual orientation has no bearing on their right to marry.

Family traditions and values are disappearing.

Family traditions and values are changing, not disappearing. In fact the very definition of family is changing and anyone who feels they have the authority to say what a family is or isn't is simply kidding themselves. But no matter what a family looks like, whether it is a husband and wife with two children or two women with one child or anything else, it is up to each family to establish and maintain their own values and traditions. Just because very old values and traditions are fading it does not mean that there aren't new ones forming nor does it mean they are any better or worse than what we had before - just different.

Man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives.

Yes, but only if he loved the man more than the two women. No legal system is going to dictate who an adult can or cannot have a relationship with. As long as they are consenting adults and no one is being hurt then it's entirely their business. That said, there is no legal or religious recognition of a marriage between three people but that may change at some point.

This whole survey is meaningless, useless and pathetic.

then why did you reply then ?

* the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. - yes

* single parents should be allowed to adopt. - yes

* gay couples should be allowed to adopt. - yes

* gay marriage should be allowed in the US. - yes

* family traditions and values are disapearing. - yes

* man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. - depends are both women involved ????

Where's the "impartial" choice in the poll? I see gays the same way I see everyone else and honestly, kinda impartial if you ask me if this random person is good or bad.

1. the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. Yes

2. single parents should be allowed to adopt. Yes

3. gay couples should be allowed to adopt. Yes, although they should not force being gay on the child that is unless the child is actually gay. The same way straight parents should not force their child who is gay to be straight.

4. gay marriage should be allowed in the US. Yes

5. family traditions and values are disapearing. Yes, and completely unrelated to homosexuals.

6. man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. That's a tough question as it implies polygamy in the sense in which certain religions (Mormonism) define polygamy and not simply polygamy itself. Simply put, person marrying another person should be allowed, polygamy is a person's choice if they're both accepting of it. I don't believe in polygamy within marriage because it doesn't make sense, marriage implies loyalty to one person. If you're going to my a polygamist, then why get married? And polygamy defined by religions where it is a sole right of the man and the woman must remain loyal is a double standard which is absurd.

Actual survey question attached to the thread needs another choice:

4) Varies, just like everybody else.

It's not that I'm not sure. I'm quite sure, in fact, that gay people come in a variety of personalities ranging from amiable to irritable. Otherwise I'd still be with my first b/f. :p

1.the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media.

No

2.single parents should be allowed to adopt.

Yes

3.gay couples should be allowed to adopt.

No

4.gay marriage should be allowed in the US.

No

5.family traditions and values are disapearing.

Sadly yes

6.man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives.

No

the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. - YES

single parents should be allowed to adopt. - YES

gay couples should be allowed to adopt. - YES

gay marriage should be allowed in the US. - YES (And in Australia)

family traditions and values are disapearing. - NO

man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. - YES

FWIW, a handful of people have said that single parent adoption is ok, but gay couples shouldn't be able to marry or adopt.

This is, of course, logically inconsistent. If a gay couple cannot marry, they both remain single, and therefore would be eligible for--tada--single parent adoption. Otherwise you would have to require creating an official homosexual registry (nazi germany much?) to check people against when applying to adopt a child, since it'd be the only way to enforce a ban on single gay parent adoption.

We would almost have to establish a Don't Ask Don't Tell law for adoptions, which would simply be hypocrisy, because it wouldn't actually prevent gay adoption, it would just sweep it under a rug so the Moral Majority™ won't have to deal with reality. We would inevitably wind up with vigilante neighbors spying on each other, reporting to child services if a suspected parent is regularly entertaining same-sex guests. Naturally breaking apart an adoptive family because the father was outed is damaging, especially if the child was accidentally living a happy life. But this is entirely the father's fault for hiding his homosexuality, and not the system's fault for breaking apart a happy family because they aren't the right kind of happy.

Then there's the dramatic question of bisexuals. A single bisexual man can play the role of a masculine father figure, right? He sleeps with women, after all, so he would be eligible for single parent adoption. But what if he adopts, and then starts dating a man? Is he only qualified for parenthood while he's dating women?

Beyond that, if a single heterosexual man raises a child and has bad luck in relationships, causing him to go through a dozen women before the kid hits puberty, does that send a good monogamy/stabilty message to the child? Is it healthy for a child to be raised around so much promiscuity? Can a single heterosexual only adopt a child if he's stays celibate?

1. The public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. - Yes
  2. Single parents should be allowed to adopt. - Yes
  3. Gay couples should be allowed to adopt. - Yes
  4. Gay marriage should be allowed in the US. - Yes
  5. Family traditions and values are disappearing. - No
  6. Man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. - Yes

For the record, separation of church and state. If civil unions had the same benefits as marriage did in the US, I don't think the 'gays' would really care if they could get 'married' or have a civil union (and get married elsewhere). Last I checked, this country was founded on freedom of speech AND religion. Just because 'you' don't agree with other peoples' choices doesn't mean you can force your ideals on others. Times are changing, get over it.

how could people be upset at the use of the word Homo when its an abbreviation of the proper term homosexual?

Well, yes, and jap is an abbreviation of the proper term Japanese. You make an excellent point.

/not offended by the word at all, but your explanation is fail.

1. the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. - Absolutely. The public opinion about most things in this country are affected by the media to some degree.
  2. single parents should be allowed to adopt. - Yes
  3. gay couples should be allowed to adopt. - Yes
  4. gay marriage should be allowed in the US. - Yes. Why is it that only heterosexuals should suffer. :)
  5. family traditions and values are disappearing. - No. Not in my family in any case.
  6. man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. - If that man is gay, then yes. If that man is a Mormon, then two wives would be more appropriate.

And by the way, the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in the military needs to be repealed too.

I edited the poll to be a little more clear. The previous question had something about gays being good which is just silly. Clearly even if you have no problems with homosexuality then at least some gays are going to be jerks (not because they are gay but just because they are jerks).

Anyway, I added the school survey to the topic (it seemed a bit silly not to have it). Anyone who voted on the old poll will need to re-vote (sorry).

[Poll Edited]

• 2 years later...

1. the public opinion about homosexuals has been affected by the media. Major yes. They try and make it seem cool and generally accepted. It isn't and the public is getting tired of hearing this.

2. single parents should be allowed to adopt. If they can afford it and look after the child then yes.

3. gay couples should be allowed to adopt. No. First off, the kid will be scared for life by relentless bullying from other kids. Honestly, at school we used to tease/pay each other about having two dads as a joke. If it were true...the kid with have a major breakdown

5. family traditions and values are disappearing. Yes, big yes. Not because of gays though, mainly due to work. Parents are less able to spend time with their kids, instead send them to childcare. If the child goes/attends school, then it's okay if it's "after school care"

6. man marrying another man is better than man marrying two wives. No. Both of them are a no from me though.

You almost appeared intellectual but it's "per se", it's latin not english. Now let's look at your arguments:

1] The public opinion has been affected by the media but that's because it's out in the open now instead of gay people having to hide themselves away scared of what people, family and society will think of them. They're human beings with emotions and needs like straight people.

2] Agreed, I was brought up by my mother cos my father was a wife-beating dick, he's dead now and I don't miss him at all cos he wasn't a father as I understand the word. I think my mother did a great job and I'm forever grateful for her.

3] BS, First of all kids get their beliefs from their parents and from society, if the kids are bigots then it's the fault of the parents passing on their own hangups. If you teach kids from the get go to respect other people, no matter what their colour, sexuality or physical capabilities then they will do so. Although kids can end up being in cliques.

4] Marriage is a lifetime commitment between one person and another, sex or sexual orientation is irrelevant.

5] Agreed, Family traditions are disappearing but not all family traditions are good. Men being the bread winner and women being the stay at home cleaner and chef is a lifestyle that's long disappeared, family needs are what counts, however a family is able to carry that out is irrelevant, what matter is that the family is healthy and happy. That doesn't always happen now and that's down to businesses running people into the ground at work.

6] I refer you to my previous statement, marriage is a bond, a lifetime commitment between two people, whatever their sex, a marriage with 2 partners isn't a marriage in my book.

No. First off, the kid will be scared for life by relentless bullying from other kids. Honestly, at school we used to tease/pay each other about having two dads as a joke. If it were true...the kid with have a major breakdown

Wow talk about circular reasoning.