Sherlock (UK BBC Series)

I just couldnt watch it, looked naff. I thought it was back in time like the films, boo

This series is far better than the movies, regardless of the setting, if you're a fan of the original Sherlock Holmes works. The characters here are perfect; the movies don't even come close.

only one episode in on the season and it is already epic. Love this show, very excited for this weekends episode.

I was really looking forward to this because the first season was so good. Unfortunately I thought it was a huge let down.

This episode suffered from all the problems that make Dr Who unwatchable. The storyline was largely incoherent, the plot had massive holes in it, simple work-arounds were found for insurmountable problems and manic busyiness is the only device used to drive the story on. I don't know how Steven Moffat ever got his job at the BBC but I often wish my license fee wasn't wasted on him.

Here's a tip Steven - artificial excitement is no substitute for an intelligent, engaging plot and strong character development. Unfortunately you're writing lacks all of the above.

100% agreed. Russell T Davis was a much better writer.

The first ep was great, and even if it's 3 episodes they're each pretty long time wise, almost like movies really.

Caught up with the latest episode on iPlayer just now, absolutely loved the modern take on the Baskerville hound - quite fitting (Y)

Will definately buy both series on DVD at the end of the month :)

I didn't find it as thrilling as the first episode, but still pretty brilliant. I guess for me there wasn't enough smart detectivey twists and turns in this episode - you could pretty much guess what it was (for those that haven't read the books :p)

I can see the next episode ending pretty similarly to recent movie too, considering the end of that is based on the same setting / story as the next episode.

I didn't find it as thrilling as the first episode, but still pretty brilliant. I guess for me there wasn't enough smart detectivey twists and turns in this episode - you could pretty much guess what it was (for those that haven't read the books :p)

I can see the next episode ending pretty similarly to recent movie too, considering the end of that is based on the same setting / story as the next episode.

It was a bit of a step down from the first one. One could piece the mistery together in the middle of the episode

when Watson is winning and dinning the therapist. There was no point to that forced intervention other than to point out who was the guilty party (so he was stopping Watson's efforts to snoop around). The coffee scene was also a pretty obvious dosing attempt by Sherlock.

The last 45 minutes was just Sherlock going through the motions of himself getting to the same conclusion most of us had already arrived at. And that spoils the fun. The 1st episode was much better in that aspect, with all of Sherlock's attemps at guessing the code keeping us guessing as well.

was like watching an episode of Dr.Who. I think it would've been better if it actually had a monster hound or ghost dog, wasn't spooky at all. Army experiments gone are a bit cheesy.

I was hoping for a far more "obvious" Sherlock win here - it;s hard to tell how much Sherlock had already gauged before he already got up there, but he gave the impression Moriarty was one step ahead, even up to his death. Although maybe Sherlock already knew the flaw in Moriartys plan and forced it? Though he had planned the genius to fake his own death so that counts for something, and I take it it had something to do with the lab woman and the odd corpse switch, but that doesn't explain what fell off the roof ... but this genius doesn't count entirely until we see how he done it! >.<, though I assume it was probably rather simple but ingenious given the writing style of the series

Either way, it was still a brilliant episode. Wonderful acting throughout, especially Freeman towards the end.

He jumped in to a truck filled with bin bags, you can see the truck just before Watson gets knocked down, I'm amazed this was on iplayer as soon as it finished.

94623651.png

He jumped in to a truck filled with bin bags, you can see the truck just before Watson gets knocked down.

Watson checks his pulse does he not? (It's also not realistically possible for him to have reached a bin truck on the road - though I don't think the writers quite care as much about that point). I'd like to think that was a very obvious red herring. I hope :p

Although, Molly is a doctor - I'd assume she may have had access to switcharoo some dead bodies around at some point.

Watson checks his pulse does he not? (It's also not realistically possible for him to have reached a bin truck on the road - though I don't the writers quite care as much about that point :p)

Although, Molly is a doctor - I'd assume she may have had access to switcharoo some dead bodies around at some point.

Did you watch the show to the end m8? at the end you see Sherlock watching Watson at his grave.

Yup, my thinking too.

Did you watch the show to the end m8? at the end you see Sherlock watching Watson at his grave.

I did, I just don't think it was the bin truck. Watson checked the pulse of the body and and certainly seemed convinced enough looking at it that is *was* Sherlock - and he does have a rather convincing face.

I mean, he could have magically flown into the bin truck, rolled out of it's closed caged sides, covered his face and the floor with blood, and stopped his own pulse, and laid there looking dead for a bit. Or Molly somehow found an extremly close looking twin of his, (maybe Jeremy Clarkson's uncle :p) and stuck his dead body on the floor, but I like to think it's not such an obvious solution.

Although, on the other had - despite him not jumping, his body does seem extremely far out from the building when he's falling. He was also falling basically in a nice forward-facing star shape - whereas the body itself was on it's side, rotated 90 degrees clockwise to what it should have been - like it could have been neatly rolled off the truck, and Watson may have conveniently mistaken his identity after being hit on the head and being slightly out of it, whilst the truck drove off nice and safely with Sherlock in it.

Of course, I like Sherlock because it point's out what you don't notice as the answer, and these are all really noticeable so I'd be personally disappointed if that was the solution.

The guy who hit Watson with the bike obviously did something to him that made him recognise the body as Holmes although it wasn't.

The guy who hit Watson with the bike obviously did something to him that made him recognise the body as Holmes although it wasn't.

I thought that as well.

I really did enjoy this, but it was untenable for Watson to believe what Holmes said at the end about having studied up on him before he met him (as that was how he knew all those things about him). Holmes repeatedly demonstrates in the series that he can do that off the cuff.

Despite the slight hand-waving about the fake death, I thought this was an absolutely brilliant episode. Martin Freeman's performance at the end was magnificent.

I was really looking forward to this because the first season was so good. Unfortunately I thought it was a huge let down.

This episode suffered from all the problems that make Dr Who unwatchable. The storyline was largely incoherent, the plot had massive holes in it, simple work-arounds were found for insurmountable problems and manic busyiness is the only device used to drive the story on. I don't know how Steven Moffat ever got his job at the BBC but I often wish my license fee wasn't wasted on him.

Here's a tip Steven - artificial excitement is no substitute for an intelligent, engaging plot and strong character development. Unfortunately you're writing lacks all of the above.

Actually I think Moffat was responsible for the excellent Coupling, but you are spot on here with your criticism of Sherlock.

Still, I enjoy it. But you're right!!!

Liked it, though seems the best episodes of Sherlock have been the first episode in both seasons.

Moriarty and Sherlocks motivations during the rooftop confrontation seemed rather muddled.