[Hobby] Collecting Movies

So I'm collecting movies on my HDD's.

Now I have like 1500 movies, all with Dutch subtitles (an .srt file).

Anyone else who has the same interest as I do?

Years ago I collected movies on SVCD and had a ton on my HDD but I stopped due to lack of time and never really got back into it.

Yes it takes a lot of time but the result is worth it: enjoying a movie with subtitle in my native language :)

I started with 320GB on a 2.5" HDD I bought on the internet 2 years ago,

but now I have like 5TB and my collection is growing every day :rofl:

People always ask me 'you can't watch them all!'

but I answer I can choose now what kind of movie I want :shifty:

True, options are very nice to have. I've grabbed a few here and there recently but I just have so much other activities going on I find it hard to watch movies much anymore. Don't get me wrong though, I am a movie guy.

I use to do it two years ago but stopped doing it because of space. I use to write it in DVD rather than saving it in HDD.

I still have few collection and i keep only the one i like.

With quite literally hundreds of DVD's and blu-rays on my shelf, I don't keep them on HDD's although I do always try to get the longest versions of films.

I just copy the movie to her computer, that's easier then (than?:unsure:) give her the DVD and taking the risk I never get it back :crazy:

Than would be the right choice there.

We have a few hundred movies, concerts, TV Shows etc all on DVD. We also have quite a few still on video.

With quite literally hundreds of DVD's and blu-rays on my shelf, I don't keep them on HDD's although I do always try to get the longest versions of films.

same

I have about the same, all legally owned movies. I can't stand having all the boxes on the shelf, so I buy, rip and then convert to H264 to save space. Most films will go to about 1-1.5GB will no noticeable loss on quality.

I run Mediaportal and have them all cataloged.

The other half thinks i'm sad for doing this, but she is the one who complains the most about the cases on the shelf!

• 2 weeks later...

question these 1500 movies they're paid for right?

yes of course, I Pay for the makers of that movies

I collect movies and tv shows, most of my collection are boxed up in storage as i use a media nas to serve them all.

i have about 500 Blu-Ray movies all in 1080p x264 + AC3 combo (im hard of hearing so uncompressed/high quality audio is lost on me) and about 200 seasons/series of TV shows of which ones that are Blu-Ray are in 720p x264 + AC3 combo and the ones that are dvd are anamorphic 576p x264 + AC3.

Id be lost without my collection, i love rewatching old TV shows i recently watched Lost Season 1-5 back to back nearly.

Yeah i agree thats a much easier way to destroy the movie/tv show industry, if something is worth watching then for me its worth buying and supporting the industry i enjoy.

I like to have the box, the cover, the inserts, the physical disc, im not constrained by bandwidth, quality or availability.

If you meant legal download services then the biggest concern in my mind is DRM, what happens if the site you download them from goes bust, or they turn their DRM servers off, or a movie company tells them to stop distributing their movies, if i have a physical disc i will always have a copy of the movie for as long as the disc lasts.

Yeah i agree thats a much easier way to destroy the movie/tv show industry, if something is worth watching then for me its worth buying and supporting the industry i enjoy.

Maybe he was talking about Netflix....

What software do you use to extract BD movies with the 5.1 soundtrack?

I've got over 300 movies, in DVD and Blu-Ray. It takes ALOT of space. I was thinking of putting all that on a server and stream them to my PS3. But I need the quality and 5.1 audio.

I watch a lot of movies but I don't collect them. I'm a deleter too. I don't think I really ever watch anything twice even if it's on TV, only when I know it's good and I'm with someone else who hasn't seen it before.

i'm up to 3 teribytes of movies and tv. it's a big collection. and everyone was donefrom wmc or by ripping them from the dvd. i hate digging though thousands of disks to find something and having it on the pc is like having a jukebox for videos. i also set it up to stream to the rest of the house. the kids love it and i can watch what i want when i want on a wim anywere in the house.

I share the hobby of collecting movies, as of REALLY recently. I got a 1.5TB HDD for xmas and I am just now putting it to good use. Still only @ 11% capacity; only about 6% is movies / TV shows as I am still getting my hands on movies / shows etc that I really like. Something like ~60 movies and roughly 12 seasons of varying shows.

Since hopping on the blu-ray waggon, this is something I've been thinking about doing with my DVDs. I've got around 800(ish - haven't counted for a while) DVDs that take up one full wall of my living room, with the TV Show DVDs taking up a fullsize Billy Bookcase - that's a lot of space that could be freed up, if I ripped 'em onto a HDD, then put the physical DVDs into storage.