[Poll]Holding or Not being allowed to hold...Which is Worse?

24 members have voted

1. 1. To hold or not to hold?

Just had to phone up HMRC (Tax).

After going through the menu options, I get told I'm going to be put through to an advisor.....then get told all advisors are busy, please check our website, call back later.

If I didn't want to hold, I'd just hang up.

It seems to me that they are doing this so they can't get any bad press about holding times.

What do you guys think is best practice, give customers the opportunity to hold?

I hate holding on phones due to the music and constant "an operator is busy please wait your call is important to us" but I do like BT's which they say press star and we'll ring you when your place is first.

Recently a provider of student loans here has done something I really like. You call in, if there's no one available, you leave a callback number and as soon as there is a free operator, they'll call you.

As far as holding, I hate it. I don't have the patience or time to sit on hold for more than 10 minutes.

If the phone I'm using has speakerphone capability, I don't mind holding at all. I turn the speakerphone on, put the phone down, and do something else while I wait.