Marvell Yukon 88E8056 issue

recently rebuilt my desktop using my ASUS P5B Deluxe, put Windows 7 on it

now initially the ethernet controller was working fine

however, every time i restart, my system tray icon has the yellow triangle saying "no internet connection"

going into Device Manager, it actually shows 2 ethernet controllers, both Marvell Yukon, one is 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller and one is 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

th_44678_device_manager_122_468lo.jpg

basically, i have to have only the 88E8056 one running to have any internet connection

when the computer starts, i get this yellow triangle of no internet connectivity; i go into device manager and have to disable the 88E8001/8003/8010 controller every time, then i have internet connectivity

but every time i restart, it automatically finds the 88E8001/8003/8010, installs driver software, then gives me the yellow triangle saying "no internet connection", so i have to do it all over again

i hate doing this every single time i restart and it's frustrating

any help would be appreciated

-Leon

The Marvell ethernet controllers that Asus uses in their boards do not work reliably with Windows 7. I have two different Asus boards (P6T Deluxe V2 and P5E3 WS PRO) each having dual gigabit Marvell controllers. I have also encountered another person here on Neowin with similar problems.

My situation was a bit different in that when under load, my network connection would go down and I would then have to disable and re-enable the NIC. This happened with all four NICs. Looking in my event log, I found the driver throwing constant "Driver Status Error" events several times a second. Believe it or not, updating to the latest Marvell drivers from their site made it worse; the best I ever got it was using the built-in Windows 7 driver.

Truth be told, I eventually got 3 Intel PCI Express 1x cards for all my PCs/Server.

Does any of this information resemble your situation? Have you looked in the event log? BTW, I am using Windows 64-bit but I don't think that make a difference.

I'm on 32bit but I also have IPV6 disabled since I can't use that for some time yet. I've never had it bomb out on me even with the stock drivers. Just the initial getting it up and running from way back.

thanks to both of you for your quick responses

i updated the drivers, but the same issue is happening

i'm not getting Driver Status Error events at all

however, what you Xenosion said (having to disable then re-enable the NIC) is exactly what i have to do; after startup, i go into Device Manager, disable both controllers, then enable the 88E8056 controller, and after about 3 seconds i have connectivity

i considered purchasing a separate card for my desktop, but the reason i rebuilt this setup is because my previous motherboard was having damn near the same issue, and i thought it was a hardware issue, not a software issue

I'm on 32bit but I also have IPV6 disabled since I can't use that for some time yet. I've never had it bomb out on me even with the stock drivers. Just the initial getting it up and running from way back.

You have an Asus board with Marvell NICs?

I also disabled IPv6 for troubleshooting although it shouldn't matter and turns out it didn't either.

Could it be the classic "checksum offloading" issue? (Look in the Device Manager under the settings for the NIC and see if there's an option for TCP Checksum offloading. It causes dropouts on some NICs if it's on.)

thanks to both of you for your quick responses

i updated the drivers, but the same issue is happening

i'm not getting Driver Status Error events at all

however, what you Xenosion said (having to disable then re-enable the NIC) is exactly what i have to do; after startup, i go into Device Manager, disable both controllers, then enable the 88E8056 controller, and after about 3 seconds i have connectivity

i considered purchasing a separate card for my desktop, but the reason i rebuilt this setup is because my previous motherboard was having damn near the same issue, and i thought it was a hardware issue, not a software issue

You have changed the ethernet cable? How is your network setup? (Switch, Router?)

Also, go to the properties of you NIC and disable IPv4 Checksum Offload.

Could it be the classic "checksum offloading" issue? (Look in the Device Manager under the settings for the NIC and see if there's an option for TCP Checksum offloading. It causes dropouts on some NICs if it's on.)

Grr beat me to it.

You have changed the ethernet cable? How is your network setup? (Switch, Router?)

Also, go to the properties of you NIC and disable Checksum Offloading.

It's connected to a Linksys wireless router, but I'm fairly sure it's not the router or the cable, since I've tested it on two laptops (connected to the ethernet cable) I have here and both work with no issues.

You have an Asus board with Marvell NICs?

I also disabled IPv6 for troubleshooting although it shouldn't matter and turns out it didn't either.

Yeah, a A8R32-MVP Deluxe.

well this time i tried disabling IPv6, then disabled TCP Checksum Offload on the 88E8056 controller

then when i restarted, still had no connectivity, so i went into Device Manager

it showed some "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface", which i've never seen before

th_47890_device_manager2_122_245lo.jpg

i uninstalled that Teredo thing, but that didn't change anything

the yellow "no connectvity" triangle went away, but i didn't actually have any connectivity (couldn't load any web page)

i then disabled TCP Checksum Offload on the 88E8001/8003/8010 controller, and i had connectivity

restarted, but the same crap is happening, i get no connectivity upon startup

are there any settings similar to TCP Checksum Offload which i should disable?

i see a bunch of stuff like IPv4 Checksum Offload, UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4), etc.

if there are any of those which i should be disabling, let me know

thanks again for your help guys

are there any settings similar to TCP Checksum Offload which i should disable?

i see a bunch of stuff like IPv4 Checksum Offload, UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4), etc.

if there are any of those which i should be disabling, let me know

thanks again for your help guys

Do you have any add-on NIC that you could try for troubleshooting?

Do you have any add-on NIC that you could try for troubleshooting?

unfortunately no; i'd like to avoid spending more money on this desktop right now, but $10-20 for a cheap NIC card wouldn't be the end of the world, if no other solution works

unfortunately no; i'd like to avoid spending more money on this desktop right now, but $10-20 for a cheap NIC card wouldn't be the end of the world, if no other solution works

Did your other computers you connected to your router have gigabit NICs? In the properties of the NIC find something like "Link Speed & Duplex". It is probably set to Auto Negotiate. Set it to 100Mbps Full Duplex, if that doesn't work try setting to 10Mbps Full Duplex.

In the properties of the NIC find something like "Link Speed & Duplex". It is probably set to Auto Negotiate. Set it to 100Mbps Full Duplex, if that doesn't work try setting to 10Mbps Full Duplex.

i can't believe it, but this actually seems to have solved it!

i initially just changed it from Auto-negotiate to 100Mbps Full Duplex on one of the controllers, then restarted, and had connectivity right away

changed it on the other controller, restarted, instant connectivity

unbelievable, i even looked at that earlier and ignored it

thanks Xenosion, much appreciated!

Also, I meant to say before that if you only are going to be using one NIC you may want to just disable the other in the BIOS (not just in Windows).

^ yeah i think i will look into that in a little bit, don't want to run that controller if i'm not going to be using it

again, thanks to everyone for the help & input

^ yeah i think i will look into that in a little bit, don't want to run that controller if i'm not going to be using it

again, thanks to everyone for the help & input

Not a problem, hopefully that problem doesn't come back.

And Welcome to Neowin.

does all yukon have problem.. i have posted before that i am unable to disable my nic card coz i am using usb wireless. as soon as i disable it the computer hangs and even if i manage to disable in safe mode then the computer takes like forever to come up to the desktop and then when i click start then it hangs as usual. so suggestions??

does all yukon have problem.. i have posted before that i am unable to disable my nic card coz i am using usb wireless. as soon as i disable it the computer hangs and even if i manage to disable in safe mode then the computer takes like forever to come up to the desktop and then when i click start then it hangs as usual. so suggestions??

It doesn't sound like yours is the same problem. I would create another thread starting from the top or link to the previous one.

well great, it looks like it only temporarily fixed the problem

just started up again on a cold boot and the stupid connectivity notice happened again

had to disable and re-enable it

so i'm either stuck with a junk onboard controller, or i have to buy a new one

i'm definitely just going to buy a new one, i don't feel like dealing with this frustration all the time

It doesn't sound like yours is the same problem. I would create another thread starting from the top or link to the previous one.

I did start the tread long ago and no one responded to that either they couldnt or they wouldnt so i managed to slip here...