[UK] Proportional Representation

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want proportional representation.

• No, the current system is fine.
    • No, but Introduce the single transferable vote for each constituency.
    • Semi Proportional 10-25% additional members
    • Semi Proportional 10-25% additional members with STV.
    • Proportional Representation 50% additional members
    • Proportional Representation 50% additional members with STV.
    • I don't care I don't vote.
    • I don't understand.
    • I want an STV in this poll.

Single transferable vote is where you get a first and a second choice in the election if your first choice doesn't come in first or second place amongst the candidates then your second choice vote is count is added should it be for one of the candidate in the top 2 places.

STV is used in the London Mayor election another example in what a reduction in wasted votes can do can be seen here.

I posted how stupid our current system is here

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/889330-uk-general-election/page__st__105__p__592509656entry592509656

Our system is just backwards and closes out the votes of a lot of people from the system.

It results in crazy strong governments that can push all sorts of unpopular bills through the system with very little debate, i.e 42 day detention without charge, digital economy bill.

I'm torn between AV+ and STV. One the one hand I think one constituency = one MP is good but the top ups are, well, a bit of a proportionality hack

On the other, STV is the most proportional and the most fair, but I'm still uneasy with multi-member constituencies. I tried to raise something with MEPs a while ago and didn't know who the hell to contact since we have multiple MEPs (although striking the BNP off of the list certainly helped narrow it down).

I think I meant Supplementary vote system rather then STV BTW. I think SVS even though it isn't promotional representation I think it would mean a more proportional result.

We have proportional representation at both the State and Federal level - it works very well. In first past the post you can end up with a party that gets less than 50% of the vote forming government. We also have compulsory voting (State & Federal) which means that our governments represent the vast majority of the people- which doesn't always happen in countries where only a minoirty of people turn out to vote.