Well, I finally did it! Ubuntu related.

I couldn't do that though. It was all ticked etc but the user was set as root and I couldn't change it at all.

It's working now though, so goodness knows what I did lol :D

Yeah, just look into file permissions with chmod and chown, it's not too hard to figure it all out really. Basically you have to have execute permissions for either your user, your group, or everyone to execute it. If it's set to something like 700, and owner is root, then you either need to change ownership to yourself or change it's permissions. It seems like a pain in the ass, and honestly I can only half remember it now since I don't use Linux much, but it's not too bad. Also note that root is disabled in newer versions of Ubuntu, so you are never signed in as root (that's why you execute sudo to temporarily elevate your permissions).

This kind of stuff isn't really as necessary in Linux anymore with big fancy UIs and installers since it does it all for you most of the time, but if you start messing with installing things yourself or playing with wine, it's something you might want to brush up on.

Also, I forgot to mention, if it's set as root and you don't have permission to change it, that's what you throw a sudo in front of chmod or chown for.

• 1 month later...

ubuntu will run everything for me except virtualization and games. i would like to get vmware to work on linux and keep only games on windows but until then windows will run the things that linux can't.