Wireless trouble

This morning I woke up, I went to turn on my computer like normal. Though, when going to connect to my WEP128-bit secured network, I kept getting denied. I unpluged the cables out of the router like normal, which usually fixes the problem when i cannot connect. Soon after this, two wireless networks are now available. One is secured which i cannot sign onto, ones unsecured which I can. I live in the country, I doubt its anyone elses especially with the signal strength. So I have two questions.

Question 1. Is it possible for my home setup to be sending both a secured and unsecured options at the same time?

Question 2. How do I choose to manually connect to this secured network so I can try retyping the password in. i tried viewing the networks, right clicked to propertys and typed the password in, still no go. Still can only connect to the unsecured one.

I just want to resolve this issue and make sure i have a password on it and am confused as to my options now =/

I think your PC has still got stored the old Secured Network, and somehow the Router has reset and lost its Encryption and SSID which is what you are able to sign in to

Log into the router, set back up the security etc, delete the old connection from the computer, and connect back to the secured connection

Change your encryption key too, it is possible someone has managed to log into the router and remove the secuirty

Did you actually hard reset your router?? You mention pulling the cables - a reboot should not have lost your config. But if you did hard reset it, then yeah by default quite often the wireless is just wide open with the default SSID, etc.

As already mentioned.. Connect to your router and setup your wireless security, then delete the profiles from your machine and reconnect.

I would suggest you use atleast WPA, WEP is no longer a secure method. Better yet would be WPA2 -- but depends on what your devices support.. Must be quite old if does not support at min WPA??

Set a unique SSID, broadcast it.

Use WPA or WPA2 with a SECURE PSK -- say something over at min 12 characters -- closer to 20 would be better, random good - but atleast not a dictionary word, etc.

This is really all you need to do for a SECURE wireless setup.. All the other nonsense you hear about mac filtering, not broadcasting your ssid, turning off dhcp, is just that nonsense that makes it harder for you to connect to your own network.

As to your router having both 2 wireless network -- sure its possible, depends on your router.. But yeah its possible to have multiple wireless network on the same router with different security settings. What is the make an model of your router?

thanks guys, this gives me somewhere to start.

Buy pulling the cables, I mean disconnecting the ethernet cable which goes to the modem, and another cable which goes to the modem, I did not hard reset however. From messing around in my router before, I know it does offer WPA, I actually thought WEP was better from an article, but i'll switch to that when I attempt this. Im considering waiting a week until finals are over in case something bad arises lol.

Something worse could arise if you dont secure your connection, having it unsecured means that anyone within range of your signal can connect to your network

You understand the problems possible from that

only thing is, with a total of 3 neighbors, 2 of which are farmers with no computers, seeing as finals are next week is only reason why im rolling those dice.

"I actually thought WEP was better from an article"

What article -- please oh please point me to this article.. If there are people out there making such claims they need to be addressed - NOW!!!

"I actually thought WEP was better from an article"

What article -- please oh please point me to this article.. If there are people out there making such claims they need to be addressed - NOW!!!

+1